Pond cleaning fiasco

Help Support CattleToday:

Ky hills

Reaction score
Had a pond that needed cleaning out and also a culvert pipe on a farm road had washed out. Hired a fellow to do the jobs and seemed like had some knowledge and experience. They evidently didn't have big enough equipment and kind of changed around.
They said it was a lot bigger job than they thought, and apparently unbeknownst to us the main guy let another take the job. It's been slow go getting the mud out, and today when we went down to check on the progress. I lost my temper pretty fast when I saw that they were piling the mud on the gravel road going into that part of the farm. We had told them several times where to put the mud as had been in the past. They say they can sell the mud as topsoil when it dries out, so I guess they were trying to spread it out in an area that would be easy to get a dump truck to for loading. Never would I have imagined that anybody would mess up a road like that. He said he didn't know it was a road. I think that was just an excuse. Then tried to say we said they could put it anywhere. I'm pretty sure most anybody would never think about somebody trying to do that.
Anyways he agreed to move it off the road, but it will be mess even if he does.
The first picture is before of the road at the gate that they were taking the mud through but didn't know it was a road. His plan was to pile it all the way back to the gate.E184CD09-1F5D-416D-B3D1-F34B41090DA3.jpegCDF7E772-6BCF-49F8-B2F1-5AD70681A916.jpegD177E1FD-5B12-4A8C-A172-5817381C698B.jpeg

Unacceptable. Fire the sub right now. Every minute you let them continue to work you are saying it was OK.

Get the original contractor over there and tell them they are responsible for the damages and to finish the job correctly if they would like to paid.

Zero tolerance for contractors who go rogue and then try to cover it with lies.

I'm trying to get someone to fill in an old burn pit. Like pulling teeth!
Offer twice what the job is worth (in cash!) and get nothing but procrastination!

Lazy bass turds everywhere
I know what you mean, we've been trying to get several projects done lately and it's a nightmare trying to find somebody half way competent. Its almost like if they do show up watch out cause it's likely gonna be a mess.
Out of several things we've just had one guy that did the job and did it well and without the extra crap.
I hate to hear that it's that way in OK too.
Was hoping it was better if that when we eventually get out there, but I figured it was about the same, I reckon everywhere is.

Yep have a trackhoe guy who keeps given me excuses for well over a month as to why he cant come and do a job we discussed

These days everyone with a name is behind. That creates lots of people who think just because they can get they're hands on some equipment they're good to go. Doesn't matter if it's mucking out a tank , building a fence or digging a ditch there is something to knowing what your doing. And there's more to knowing what your doing than just the actual work. You have to know how to do the work and how to make money doing it. The cheapest guy and the guy that can start tomorrow are both in that position for a reason.

These days everyone with a name is behind. That creates lots of people who think just because they can get they're hands on some equipment they're good to go. Doesn't matter if it's mucking out a tank , building a fence or digging a ditch there is something to knowing what your doing. And there's more to knowing what your doing than just the actual work. You have to know how to do the work and how to make money doing it. The cheapest guy and the guy that can start tomorrow are both in that position for a reason.
These jokers were definitely not the cheapest actually they were the most expensive and I had heard nothing but good reports about the guy we originally dealt with. However I do think it's a case of guys getting their hands on equipment and not knowing how to do some of the jobs they start.

These jokers were definitely not the cheapest actually they were the most expensive and I had heard nothing but good reports about the guy we originally dealt with. However I do think it's a case of guys getting their hands on equipment and not knowing how to do some of the jobs they start.
The topsoil drying operation they where doing on your road tells me not only do they not know what they're doing in the dirt . But they don't know a nickel from a dollar either.

The topsoil drying operation they where doing on your road tells me not only do they not know what they're doing in the dirt . But they don't know a nickel from a dollar either.
I agree, I don't think they are right on that either. I don't see that as being topsoil. They came up with that idea a couple days ago.

Had a pond that needed cleaning out and also a culvert pipe on a farm road had washed out. Hired a fellow to do the jobs and seemed like had some knowledge and experience. They evidently didn't have big enough equipment and kind of changed around.
They said it was a lot bigger job than they thought, and apparently unbeknownst to us the main guy let another take the job. It's been slow go getting the mud out, and today when we went down to check on the progress. I lost my temper pretty fast when I saw that they were piling the mud on the gravel road going into that part of the farm. We had told them several times where to put the mud as had been in the past. They say they can sell the mud as topsoil when it dries out, so I guess they were trying to spread it out in an area that would be easy to get a dump truck to for loading. Never would I have imagined that anybody would mess up a road like that. He said he didn't know it was a road. I think that was just an excuse. Then tried to say we said they could put it anywhere. I'm pretty sure most anybody would never think about somebody trying to do that.
Anyways he agreed to move it off the road, but it will be mess even if he does.
The first picture is before of the road at the gate that they were taking the mud through but didn't know it was a road. His plan was to pile it all the way back to the gate.View attachment 16553View attachment 16554View attachment 16555
Why is he selling the yopsoil,that's your firt inthebpond?

Muck from a pond is usually pretty good stuff regarding rich in organics. Decayed vegetation etc.
No good for a road but when I had one cleaned out and spread on marginal pasture that grass really popped. (smelled like fish sheet for months tho)
Yeah I know it's good for putting over ground, but when our neighbors that are building a big new house said oh they would be needing some topsoil around it, I thought I don't think that's what they had in mind.

Playing in the mud with equipment is easy money. They can work for days and do nothing but create more work for themselves.

When I worked O&G if it rained you had to be on the phone asap with all the dirt contractors telling them rain out, do not come in. They love to show up and push water and mud around all day. All they do is make a mess they can spend a couple more days fixing when it dries out.😆

I cleaned mine out myself.
If a contractor would have dumped that muck on my road I would have a fit.
I spread mine over my pasture, it grew grass like crazy.
The pond must have been full of millet seeds, it came up thick.

What's a long reach excavator charging in yalls area? I called to get some pools cleaned out a few months back and they were $2,500 for a 10 hr day. He told me they charge a full day if they work 4 hrs or 10 so figure which pools I wanted cleaned out beforehand. They have a 60' reach and keep it busy.