Feral Hogs

Help Support CattleToday:

I went to a seminar on this by TAMU if approved it will have to be in an approved bait station. The bait is toxic to deer and cattle.
What ever you do don't get caught in Texas making your own and putting it out. They won't put you in jail but under it and forget about you.
Got some real hefty fines and sentences for non targeted animals.
I will stick to lead and traps.

Caustic Burno":3psclgb5 said:
I went to a seminar on this by TAMU if approved it will have to be in an approved bait station. The bait is toxic to deer and cattle.
What ever you do don't get caught in Texas making your own and putting it out. They won't put you in jail but under it and forget about you.
Got some real hefty fines and sentences for non targeted animals.
I will stick to lead and traps.
One link gave specifications etc for feeders. Heavy lids like regular hog feeders to protect coons etc. Looks like it has promise. I've heard from a guy that told a guy that heard it from a lady who read it on shyt house wall that Bovatec would work on them too. :hide:

callmefence":27zhjiys said:
Their behind. Folks been soaking corn in sodium nitrate for years. They just been keeping it to them selves
Apparently used this way it would be more effective since sodium nitrate isn't so palatable as creates a noxious odor when "wet".

TexasBred":92txmm3z said:
callmefence":92txmm3z said:
Their behind. Folks been soaking corn in sodium nitrate for years. They just been keeping it to them selves
Apparently used this way it would be more effective since sodium nitrate isn't so palatable as creates a noxious odor when "wet".

Yeah I knew a guy who knew a guy. Their both dead now
You can buy sodium nitrate anywhere. Used to make sausage jerky etc. Apparently the method was to scatter corn over a pretty good area until the pigs were reliably feeding.
Then they would dig several little post holes maybe a,foot deep. Fill with some soured corn, molasses and the sodium nitrate. Cover with a little dirt or a flat rock.
Probably doesn't work at all.I wouldn't know.

callmefence":2frnm2dn said:
TexasBred":2frnm2dn said:
callmefence":2frnm2dn said:

Yeah I knew a guy who knew a guy. Their both dead now
You can buy sodium nitrate anywhere. Used to make sausage jerky etc. Apparently the method was to scatter corn over a pretty good area until the pigs were reliably feeding.
Then they would dig several little post holes maybe a,foot deep. Fill with some soured corn, molasses and the sodium nitrate. Cover with a little dirt or a flat rock.
Probably doesn't work at all.I wouldn't know.
I know I wouldn't either. Never used it. Haven't tried the Bovatec either.

TB they had a video of some of the bait stations they had put down Port Aransas. They started out with 10 weighted doors coons can bench press ten pounds for their buddies to get a snack.
I can't remember if they finally settled on 15 or 20 lbs before they quit killing coons.
They were even trying ones the door was sound activated to a hog it
was an entertaining workshop on feral control methods.

Caustic Burno":3pyidd6u said:
TB they had a video of some of the bait stations they had put down Port Aransas. They started out with 10 weighted doors coons can bench press ten pounds for their buddies to get a snack.
I can't remember if they finally settled on 15 or 20 lbs before they quit killing coons.
And what's so bad about killing coons too? We are more overrun with them than hogs.

Caustic Burno":sphcxi68 said:
CB one article I read said they finally settled on doors that weighed 28 lbs.

TB I knew coons were strong until I seen that setup on Kerr WMA never dawned on me how much they could bench press.
The only problem I could see with the weighted door system is only the bigger hogs could get to the bait.
Those little pigs ever get to the point they loose there stripes odds are they will make it to adulthood.

it would be nice to get something to eradicate the hog problem. As you can see my bull calf will fight with them over deer corn. This picture is in my hog trap with a guillotine door. I keep the door out unless I am running the trap. I only get hogs out in the daytime when there are a lot on the property. That has been the case for the last few years. Keeps getting worse.

Latest posts