Fencing

Help Support CattleToday:

Jlore

Reaction score
hi,
I'm in the process of gathering materials to fence in about 1 acre to hold 2 steer. my plan is to use rolls of cattle wire, and and strand of electric wire also. my question is how far apart do you guys recommended i put the posts apart?

I dug so many post holes in my life thats an easy question. 3 steps. I've never measured but would guess its about 10 ft. I can remember one time I made really long steps to get done faster.that Didn't work for my grand daddy and he made me go back and put a post inbetween.

When we've done the "Field Fence" wire (which is probably the same as your "cattle wire") we've gone 10 feet between posts, and the braces have usually been 8 foot.

Katherine

I have done alot of it at 10 foot. but really 12 is what i do most of the time and it is fine. like dun said it depends on the terrain. just today we were going down the road in a very rocky area and i noticed a fence with t posts about every 8 foot and i pointed it out to dad and we decided it was most likely because they may have only been in the ground 5 or 6 inches.

denvermartinfarms":eakmhm6d said:
I have done alot of it at 10 foot. but really 12 is what i do most of the time and it is fine. like dun said it depends on the terrain. just today we were going down the road in a very rocky area and i noticed a fence with t posts about every 8 foot and i pointed it out to dad and we decided it was most likely because they may have only been in the ground 5 or 6 inches.
I've got spots like that! The bottom of the spade is right at gorund level, sometimes higher then that.

12 ft here. I did a few at 16' on a 1/4 mile stretch a couple years ago, but went back and drove Tee posts inbetween afterwards. Corners (IMO) make your fence tho.
Also--depends on how docile or wild your animals are.
I just use 5 strands of barbed wire tho--too much vegetation and trees yet to use high tensile elec.

Haven't used a rope or string in years. Just set my pipe corners and braces then pull the third wire tight. Drive the t posts using the wire as a straight line. Push one in with the tractor, move the plastic pipe ten foot and push the next one. Have a pipe sleeve 53 inches long that slides over the T-Post being pushed in. Once the Post is in, slide the pipe off and go to the next one.

Haven't used wood since being burned out. Don't plan of using wood ever again. Can't afford to.

backhoeboogie":dfruvznr said:
Haven't used a rope or string in years. Just set my pipe corners and braces then pull the third wire tight. Drive the t posts using the wire as a straight line. Push one in with the tractor, move the plastic pipe ten foot and push the next one. Have a pipe sleeve 53 inches long that slides over the T-Post being pushed in. Once the Post is in, slide the pipe off and go to the next one.

Haven't used wood since being burned out. Don't plan of using wood ever again. Can't afford to.
I LIKE THAT 53 INCH PIPE TRICK I'll have to put that in my next stretch. No more wood for me in the runs either . I still use wood in my corners and such guess I'm too stuborn or too stupid to use pipe. Distance varies in the hills somtimes 6ft mostly 8 long . flat runs10 to 12ft depending on soil (don't holt real good in the bony chit) . :bang: :welcome:

I use wood every few posts depending on how hard or soft the soil is. If my teeth rattle in the middle of winter driving in the steel posts then wood isn't needed but with steel posts only in softer soil the weight of the wire will eventually push the steel posts deeper if you don't have some flat bottomed wood posts to hold it all up.

Animal Track Farm":3cnabmg3 said:
I put in a H brace every 100 feet. I use T post in between spaced about 10' apart.

An H every hundred feet is overkill in my opinion. I put a line post every 100' and H's go in at 500".

Latest posts