fence tips and tricks

Help Support CattleToday:

I pull 300 yards of wire this weekend, 5 strands. I only had enough for 1 strand of low tensile OK 12 ga. The bottom 4 lines were Gaucho Cattleman Pro. I had been hesitant to use high tensile Gaucho thinking it would be a pain the ars to handle. I was wrong. HT is my favorite wire now. It tightens taut, more so than I have ever been able to tighten OK or Red Brand.

May be a stupid question, but do any of you guys use these straps with D ring ends on them with a come along for stretching fence? I've been using a chain and these look like they'd make life a little easier.

Keep the chain or use a strap? Rated at 3,333 lb working load/10k lb breaking point.

JHALL said:
May be a stupid question, but do any of you guys use these straps with D ring ends on them with a come along for stretching fence? I've been using a chain and these look like they'd make life a little easier.

Keep the chain or use a strap? Rated at 3,333 lb working load/10k lb breaking point.

I just took the hook off the come-a-long and replaced it with a 3-4' piece of chain w/ a hook on the end. Works great and no more looking for a chain or strap to tie off with. I'm sure that strap would work fine and be easier to handle than a chain though.

Which crimp tool and sleeves would you recommend to join old rusty barbed wire? I'm looking for a good tool/ sleeves and not the cheapo stuff. Which type of sleeves are best, the kind with slots or the round hollow tubes? The tool with flat jaws or the one with the round holes in the jaws?

FYI, I already use Gripples on new wire but looking to try crimps to repair old fences.

Thanks

When I started fencing 2 years ago, I was using crimps to splice wire. That was short lived. Today, I scissor splice the wire and move on. It's one less tool I have to carry. For old wire splices, I loop or twist, depending on the wire's condition.

libertygarden said:
When I started fencing 2 years ago, I was using crimps to splice wire. That was short lived. Today, I scissor splice the wire and move on. It's one less tool I have to carry. For old wire splices, I loop or twist, depending on the wire's condition.

What's a scissor splice? I haven't heard that term before.

GoWyo said:
Scissor splice:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1TK0D5xQnJM

Thanks for the video. Using the scissor method looks like it works very well when using newer wire. In my case with repairing old rusty wire, it would snap right in two.

What I'm doing now when repairing the rusty fences is using the Splice It tube style ferrules and crimping with modified bolt cutters. It has worked great when splicing together a broken strand or tightening . Just put the Goldenrod
on the slack wire, take up the slack, cut out the excess and splice it back. It has worked very well so far.

I also have a Stay Tuff crimp tool and the correct Stay Tuff crimp sleeves on order to use on new fences using height tensile fixed knot net wire and high tensile barbed wire. I've been using Gripples on new fences but wanted to try crimp sleeves since they're cheaper.

This has probably already been addressed but I don't have time to read through all 110 pages. Folks around home(MS) are using washed gravel for posts. I have always used quikrete but they are saying the posts are supposed to last a lot longer with the gravel. Says it the gravel locks in place & keeps the posts tight. What are your thoughts?

Latest posts