fence tips and tricks

Help Support CattleToday:

greybeard":3kid0tp3 said:
callmefence":3kid0tp3 said:
Lol
Ive often wondered why folks in soft bottomless ground using pipe have a driver at all. Just push em in with the loader
In my case, it's because the clay ground don't stay soft and bottomless....well, maybe bottomless, but in the good weather months, the top few feet hardens like the proverbial hooker's heart.

callmefence wrote:

New drill pipe is better than most galvanized pipe....
When you say 'drill pipe' are you using production casing or drill pipe like is used on the drilling rigs?
Most common used 4"DP weighs 14lbs/ft and has a wall thickness of just over 5/16.
2-7/8"DP weighs 10.4 lbs/ft and wall thickness of .362 which is almost 3/8".

Production casing is much lighter & thinner unless it was heavyweigt casing.

We either drill stem . Or rejected structural pipe. The hardness of drill stem is very noticeable if you try to cut it with the bandsaw. When driving in rock drill stem is by far superior.

Getting ready to string up my first ever stay tough 14 guage HT. Any tips? I've built dozens of miles of red brand and OK brand 12.5 gauge wire. Do you stretch this similar? Is double wrapping post needed?

T & B farms":2z51g8eg said:
Getting ready to string up my first ever stay tough 14 guage HT. Any tips? I've built dozens of miles of red brand and OK brand 12.5 gauge wire. Do you stretch this similar? Is double wrapping post needed?

You'll find that it stretches easier and tighter than traditional barb. I wouldn't bother double wrapping, just strip the barbs and tie it off good.

T & B farms":1l0vkoap said:

Stretch just like regular Barb. Real tight.
The big difference is it will stay at the tension you stretch it to. As long as your braces hold. I highly recommend the double wrap unless you want to to it wrong. Lol.... stripping Barb's is optional.
Stretch with a come along and dog. The 14 gauge ht is the best bw available imho. Tommorow we will start stretching just short of 7 miles of 6 Barb.
14 gauge HT. I'll take a few pics of the gear we use.

Also
https://youtu.be/4JfMXx6kyWA

Edit to add... you'll need either fence pliers made for high tensile. And gripples or crimps for splicing.
I highly recommend the knipex mini boltcutters and gripples

I very much appreciate the responses. I just set single hedge post (12-16") 7-7.5 foot deep. Concerete and tamped the last 12" with dirt. Mostly heavy clay after the first foot. Longest stretch is 900'. Hope this is enough. Can I not twist HT together to make a splice?

T & B farms":11xa9fa9 said:
I very much appreciate the responses. I just set single hedge post (12-16") 7-7.5 foot deep. Concerete and tamped the last 12" with dirt. Mostly heavy clay after the first foot. Longest stretch is 900'. Hope this is enough. Can I not twist HT together to make a splice?

You can. The wire will be very stiff compared to what your used to. The good old Western Union you probably use will work just spread it out over about 18". The reef knot is good. But I still highly recommend crimps or gripples. Especially gripples. You'll save lots of time and cussing.
If you want to pm your address I'll mail you a few. No strings

callmefence":3kbg7zgz said:
T & B farms":3kbg7zgz said:

You can. The wire will be very stiff compared to what your used to. The good old Western Union you probably use will work just spread it out over about 18". The reef knot is good. But I still highly recommend crimps or gripples. Especially gripples. You'll save lots of time and cussing.
Do you have to have a special tool to use them?

T & B farms":39jgl7uq said:
callmefence":39jgl7uq said:
T & B farms":39jgl7uq said:

We have a special tool for using them to tension. It's not necessary to do a splice.
I use the tool very very often. I've worn out several ..lol.
The gripples.... every morning a couple of medium and a couple of Barbwire gripples go in my pocket right beside my pocket knife.

callmefence":2n4f78fg said:
T & B farms":2n4f78fg said:
callmefence":2n4f78fg said:

We have a special tool for using them to tension. It's not necessary to do a splice.
The gripples.... every morning a couple of medium and a couple of Barbwire gripples go in my pocket right beside my pocket knife.
Good info, thank you much. I'm going to order me some to try if I can figure out the correct size

T & B farms":3a40dlvb said:
callmefence":3a40dlvb said:
T & B farms":3a40dlvb said:

Good info, thank you much. I'm going to order me some to try if I can figure out the correct size

For 14 gauge you need the Barbwire gripple. I've got several tools and contractor kits in stock. I'll be happy to send you one to mess around with.
If you don't like it send it back. ...no worries.

callmefence":1eu8o3nk said:
T & B farms":1eu8o3nk said:
callmefence":1eu8o3nk said:

For 14 gauge you need the Barbwire gripple. I've got several tools and contractor kits in stock. I'll be happy to send you one to mess around with.
If you don't like it send it back. ...no worries.

I'm going be splicing in about 20 minutes. Ill snap a pic.

i'll take the free gripples and use of the tool to try.

thanks fence :wave:

ddd75":1dka2em0 said:
i'll take the free gripples and use of the tool to try.

thanks fence :wave:

Send me your address. I'll give you 5 free gripples. And yes if you don't like the tool send it back. If you like it, send me a check.

You can call me for the details
254-258-9868

Good morning gentlemen, I figured this thread has been without activity in 2019 so here is a technical question for those that know.

Gauge being the same, does HT barbed wire exert less pull pressure on brace assemblies than low carbon wire since it does not stretch much?

Good day.

Tension is tension. You pull them both TIGHT, putting the same strain on the corners for each type. One stays tight, the other continues to stretch over time, loosens and puts less strain on the corners, allows cows out, looks like crap and allows you to waste time going back and re-tightening it later, and again, later and again.......later.
There IS a difference tho, in psi rating depending which wire you use in regards to it's manufacturers' label.

The big difference is breaking strength. You can get high tensile tighter, and it will stay tight. Low carbon wire is prone to sagging if not properly pre-tensioned. It should initially be over tensioned, and then backed off, to prevent sagging in the future. I'm not an expert, but I would say HT exerts more force. I've seen way more braces pulled out of the ground with HT than low carbon.

Interesting. I thought that HT, not giving much, could be simply tightened and then held in place by the t-post clips. Whereas low carbon has to be over tightened to take out the give thus creating more pull on the corner assembly.

In a barbed wire fence stretch of 225 yards with double H assemblies on both ends and using 1.33 T-Posts pounded 2' deep and spaced 10' apart, is a strong post needed every 5th T-Post? If so, will a 2 7/8" pipe pounded 2' deep suffice? The H assemblies are 6" treated pine posts, 4' deep, 8' apart, with 60 pounds of concrete per post and the rest back filled with road base.

Thank you.

Latest posts