Fence Specifications

Help Support CattleToday:

Jabes0623":1crr8zdk said:
7ft T-posts spaced 20ft on level ground & 14ft on hills with 1 stay between each. I also like to put a wooden pull post every 5 T posts. 4 strands 12 1/2 gauge red brand barbed wire spaced 12,22,32,42. I use 47" woven wire on all road frontages.

About 2 miles from my home on a one lane road there's a guy who has a single hot wire about 2ft off the ground with metal T posts as his corner/anchor posts & some tiny litte fiberglass posts as his line posts. He probably has 50 head of cow calf pairs fenced in there. I absolutely cannot believe those cows don't get loose daily but apparently they don't.

They are evidently trained to it with a hot as hades fence charger hooked to it and probably culls out hard, any mommas that try to test the single wire.

greybeard":7i0rbo65 said:
Jabes0623":7i0rbo65 said:
7ft T-posts spaced 20ft on level ground & 14ft on hills with 1 stay between each. I also like to put a wooden pull post every 5 T posts. 4 strands 12 1/2 gauge red brand barbed wire spaced 12,22,32,42. I use 47" woven wire on all road frontages.

About 2 miles from my home on a one lane road there's a guy who has a single hot wire about 2ft off the ground with metal T posts as his corner/anchor posts & some tiny litte fiberglass posts as his line posts. He probably has 50 head of cow calf pairs fenced in there. I absolutely cannot believe those cows don't get loose daily but apparently they don't.

They are evidently trained to it with a hot as hades fence charger hooked to it and probably culls out hard, any mommas that try to test the single wire.

Cow that aint hungry aint looking to get out either.
I don't think you could drive mine off.
You couldn't force one of mine to try and stick their head through the fence.
Ten thousand volts is an attention getter.

greybeard":3pemxwoh said:
5 strands but not always "red brand" type wire. I prefer gaucho wire if I'm fencing in wooded areas--it stretches and sags, but won't break when a tree or limb falls on it--but it has to be a good brand gaucho--Bekaert--made in Ky, USA.
Bottom 12" from ground, all the rest 10"-11" apart.

6 1/2' tee posts.

10-4. this is how I do it also.

Latest posts