Fence Repair

Help Support CattleToday:

Calman

Reaction score
I would venture to say that we have some of the best fencing in the area.
I do not like fence repair.
Why am I finding fence work to do all the time.
I must be too picky about my fence.
Now I'm putting stays (cedar) about every 3ft on all fences exept cross fences.
It's almost like I have nothing to do and look for fence work.
Am I just crazy or what?
Maby I need to call Doc Crowder for some mental help. :help:

Cal

sounds like you are a person that likes keeping their fences up.an you dont mind working on them when you see something that needs done.

Don't mean to hijack thread but since you are on the subject of mending and maintaining fences what have you found is the simplest and easiest way to mend a broken fence due to a limb or tree? I found a fairly simple way to do it but am always looking for other alternatives.

baxter78":m3gjiavt said:
It seems as though I am doing fence work all the time as well. It never fails that a tree limb will fall in a storm and break the fence. It sure seems like I am always mending fences for some reason or another. Usually through no fault of my own or the cattle. Tree limbs seem to be the main culprit.

First you have to learn the rule of trees, there is 360 degrees in a circle and a tree will always fall where it can do the most damage. If it can't hit the house it will try for the barn if that is not possible it will look for a vehicle with a last resort to tear up as much fence as possible.

Jogeephus":38l27hdi said:
Don't mean to hijack thread but since you are on the subject of mending and maintaining fences what have you found is the simplest and easiest way to mend a broken fence due to a limb or tree? I found a fairly simple way to do it but am always looking for other alternatives.

If it is just broken barbwire I would use the wire splice ferrels and a fence stretcher. If the limb didn't stretch the fence enough to get enought overlap, might have to splice in a short piece of wire. View attachment 1

well lets start a list of people for Cal to come visit. i call him first. who wants him next month?

CB's description of how devious-minded a tree is has been proven true too many times in my situation. Since I don't have any buildings for the trees to hit they aim at the fence. I have found that it doesn't matter which direction the wind is blowing the tree WILL fall toward the fence no matter what. I have used the fence stretchers but find they don't give me enough pull and tend to slip if the wire is taught.(Probably cause my set is made in China) To remedy this, I jury rigged a cumbalong with two cam's on each end. I then can really pull the fence tight and if I can get at least a two inch overlap I splice with a gripple. So far, this has worked pretty well and will usually result in the fence being as tighter than ever.

I just cut the tree/limb off the fence and it usaully p[ops right back up. May have to replace in insulator or 2 though

Beefy":2th795cq said:
well lets start a list of people for Cal to come visit. i call him first. who wants him next month?

I call dibs on Cal next after Beefy ...may even pay air fare out here.. ;-) Got 8 miles of fence that needs TLC plus 3& 1/2 miles of cross fencing.. Call it a holiday Cal... :cowboy:

IF it is an inside fence and just stretched a bit, I take the limb off and then tighten it up with a Jake's wiere tightener and I am done.

Billy

Jogeephus":1q7go46q said:
CB's description of how devious-minded a tree is has been proven true too many times in my situation. Since I don't have any buildings for the trees to hit they aim at the fence. I have found that it doesn't matter which direction the wind is blowing the tree WILL fall toward the fence no matter what. I have used the fence stretchers but find they don't give me enough pull and tend to slip if the wire is taught.(Probably cause my set is made in China) To remedy this, I jury rigged a cumbalong with two cam's on each end. I then can really pull the fence tight and if I can get at least a two inch overlap I splice with a gripple. So far, this has worked pretty well and will usually result in the fence being as tighter than ever.

I have the same problem but thought it was because they were worn out and 40 years old. :lol2:

If you can't get enough of fence repair and maintenance at your place, you're welcome to come to ours and work until your heart is content. We're getting ready to put up a couple more miles of fence now.

A few days of this in the 90 + degree weather would surely be good therapy.

Jogeephus":3dgml9tv said:

If you're talking about barbed wire - put both ends of the broken wire(s) in the goldenrods, stretch it up tight, and use an appropriately sized length barbed wire to form a splice (depending on the fence, and where it broke, you may have to take apart/create a few other splices and re-stretch in front and back of the broken section to get it tight). If you're talking about smooth wire, I can't help you - I'm still trying to figure that one out.

Msscamp, what is a goldenrod? I'm not too comfortable with wire splicing. Seen some beautiful splicing work before but never actually seen it done. That, I guess, is why I like those little Gripple things. They sure are handy.

Jogeephus":u3zeca1o said:
Msscamp, what is a goldenrod?

The Wyoming term for a mechanical fence stretcher - sorry about that, I keep forgetting about the terms thing. :oops:

I'm not too comfortable with wire splicing. Seen some beautiful splicing work before but never actually seen it done.

I can understand that - splicing done wrong can result in some very nasty injuries once the wire is released. Should you decide to try it, just remember to use good (not necessarily new) barbed wire. Make several wraps back on the splice wire where it joins both receiving ends, and stand back while releasing. I learned how to splice at a fairly young age, and I have been doing it for most of my life so I have no problem with it.

Hillsdown and Beefy, ya'll don't know what you might be getting into. I'm a little feller but it takes a might heaping of beef and beer to keep me going.

Cal

I need you here. Yet another flood this year, more fences gone. I am SICK of replacing the same fences. Hundred year flood, yeah right, guess we are good for three hundred years. :cry2:

This is kind of an old topic, but when the ice storm took down a few miles of fence on my place I ordered several bags of Jakes tighteners, I was splicing the fence with my goldenrod dohickey and fixing the slack spots with the Jakes.
Then I found a website that showed repairing the fence with a jakes tightener. You just make a loop in each end of the broken wire. Splice in a new piece of barbwire then put a jakes tightener in and tighten it up. I can fix a broke spot in about a minute which is a whole lot faster.
I have about five miles of destroyed barbwire fence so I will get a lot of practice :(
Just though I would share...

danl":1my9swfi said:
This is kind of an old topic, but when the ice storm took down a few miles of fence on my place I ordered several bags of Jakes tighteners, I was splicing the fence with my goldenrod dohickey and fixing the slack spots with the Jakes.
Then I found a website that showed repairing the fence with a jakes tightener. You just make a loop in each end of the broken wire. Splice in a new piece of barbwire then put a jakes tightener in and tighten it up. I can fix a broke spot in about a minute which is a whole lot faster.
I have about five miles of destroyed barbwire fence so I will get a lot of practice :(
Just though I would share...

Hate to say it but I thought everyone did it that way

The best way to deal with trees in fences is if that radius crosses over a fence get the dozer out. :nod: Only think that stays is Oak Trees I can't wrap my arms around. I get a little crazy about having brush or trees in the fence line. :devil2:

I also prefer a come-along with the fencing ends over the wire stretcher shown in the pic. It gives me a little more distance to pull.

Latest posts