fence questions...

Help Support CattleToday:

Aaaand when I got back to the house, the wife hit me with a honey-do, walking out to the back way will have to wait. I'll try and get that tomorrow.

Anyway, @callmefence, go ahead and poke your fun.
Don't mistake poking fun with having fun. There's miles of old and piece mill fence on this place. Lots built out of leftovers. Had a guy here call me a thief once for using leftovers, never got that but he turned out to be a counterfeit...

Anyways with anything that's lots of work no matter the material its worth doing where it doesn't haveto be redone every few years. My ugly piece mill stuff it still done where the wire is tight. As long as the braces are substantial and the wire is pulled tight enough where it doesn't loosen up. You can put what you want in between the braces.

Don't mistake poking fun with having fun. There's miles of old and piece mill fence on this place. Lots built out of leftovers. Had a guy here call me a thief once for using leftovers, never got that but he turned out to be a counterfeit...

Anyways with anything that's lots of work no matter the material its worth doing where it doesn't haveto be redone every few years. My ugly piece mill stuff it still done where the wire is tight. As long as the braces are substantial and the wire is pulled tight enough where it doesn't loosen up. You can put what you want in between the braces.
Poking fun is one of the best means of having fun, I assure you, nobody's managed to burn my butt here bad enough for me to think about it later. And while I do agree about doing things well, it's been my experience on our fences throughout our family's properties and on the others I've helped patch or "rebuild", that it gets done well once or twice and patched a hundred times.

And a thief for using old fence? Hell, I thought the fence came with the place...

Poking fun is one of the best means of having fun, I assure you, nobody's managed to burn my butt here bad enough for me to think about it later. And while I do agree about doing things well, it's been my experience on our fences throughout our family's properties and on the others I've helped patch or "rebuild", that it gets done well once or twice and patched a hundred times.

And a thief for using old fence? Hell, I thought the fence came with the place...
A thief for using leftovers from MY fence company inventory.

These work pretty good for tightening wire if your wire is not real old. Of course if your braces are bad nothing is permanent.

I bought one for Mr TC a few years ago and even I can tighten a loose wire pretty good with it.

I helped build this one lmao, the epitome of making do. T posts on one side, wood and T posts on the top side, T posts and stapled to the pine trees on the back end, and wood and T posts on the other lmao. Oh, and the side pocket for working is just a ring corral of TSC horse panels. The main gate is a wood post and wire gap gate. Never said I was good, just said I make do XD
I had some like that, along the river boundary. Slowly got rid of them especially the wire gaps. I hated them, from the days of my youth.
Trees worked ok ....... until a tree fell in the river and took the whole fence with it.

(A minor point of contention (no pun intended)
The barbed wire in the pictures I posted is 4pt, not 2 pt. Pretty sure it came from a local place called McCoys that is also a Preifert distributor. The net wire tho, probably came from TSC as I remember when the original fence was built b-i-l had to drive to the next town to get some as there wasn't a TSC in Cleveland at the time and McCoys he said was too expensive. The company that built the original fence didn't bother calling about underground stuff and they drilled right thru a 6" rural co-op water line that served the whole area, and they had to shut it off for several miles. )

I'm not a fan of the barbed wire they used. Low carbon and it got loose everywhere and sagged after a couple of years. Both my B-I-Ls refused to use gaucho type HT barbed wire.

I bought one for Mr TC a few years ago and even I can tighten a loose wire pretty good with it.
I looked at it and can't figure out how it's used. I think it's got to be some kind of lever, but damn if I can work out where you attach any wires or how it takes a strain...

Is a tensionometer a worthwhile tool for us amaeturs to guage the tension when straining Fence?

Ken
Probably so ken. Most don't get anywhere close to truly tight. In areas that get really cold or lots of snow drift I'm sure it's different. Here in Texas I have zero doubt if you stretch the wire near it's breaking point that's just right.
And that's tighter than a tension meter calls good. If you pull wire tight enough including low carbon. It will not "get loose"

I had some like that, along the river boundary. Slowly got rid of them especially the wire gaps. I hated them, from the days of my youth.
Trees worked ok ....... until a tree fell in the river and took the whole fence with it.

(A minor point of contention (no pun intended)
The barbed wire in the pictures I posted is 4pt, not 2 pt. Pretty sure it came from a local place called McCoys that is also a Preifert distributor. The net wire tho, probably came from TSC as I remember when the original fence was built b-i-l had to drive to the next town to get some as there wasn't a TSC in Cleveland at the time and McCoys he said was too expensive. The company that built the original fence didn't bother calling about underground stuff and they drilled right thru a 6" rural co-op water line that served the whole area, and they had to shut it off for several miles. )

I'm not a fan of the barbed wire they used. Low carbon and it got loose everywhere and sagged after a couple of years. Both my B-I-Ls refused to use gaucho type HT barbed wire.
I'm not calling you old, or Mr. @callmefence but do either of you know how old that big, sheet-metal looking barbed wire is I posted?

I've pulled hair out of my horses tail to tie a wire back up to the posts. Sometimes you gotta do what you gotta do.
If you ever want to show a kid or adult something different tell them that you can hold them down with a horse hair. Of course they will think it's not possible. Tell them to lay down or recline in a chair and put the horse hair across their nose while holding each end tightly. They won't be able to raise up.

I'm not calling you old, or Mr. @callmefence but do either of you know how old that big, sheet-metal looking barbed wire is I posted?
Lol
I'm
I'll go back and try to find what your talking about. I don't remember seeing it. I'm" not making fun" but photography is not your strong suit. Not that I can talk

Lol
I'm
I'll go back and try to find what your talking about. I don't remember seeing it. I'm" not making fun" but photography is not your strong suit. Not that I can talk
I can repost it, if you want. And my phone is basically a potato, I actually do shoot film photography when I can get the ass up to do it.

"""I looked at it and can't figure out how it's used. I think it's got to be some kind of lever, but damn if I can work out where you attach any wires or how it takes a strain..""""

I like to use it and then put a wood stave right next to it. Make a pretty good patch.

Latest posts