Fence Posts

Help Support CattleToday:

ctlbaron":2kpynf6a said:
Maybe I can sell cockle burs for porcupine eggs.

Back when we used to have a booth in a craft and antique mall, my wife put 3 or 4 cockle burrs in a store-bought, Taiwan-made, honeysuckle vine bird nest with a popsicle stick sign that said "Do not disturb porcupine eggs!". Had about 25 cents in them and sold them for $4.95 a pop as fast as she could make them. Thank goodness, I think?, we didn't have very many of them! City people thought they were sooooo cute!

sounds like a good way to get back at cityfolk. although..cityfolk or cockleburs? hmm, tough call.

Beefy":3keq4755 said:
sounds like a good way to get back at cityfolk. although..cityfolk or cockleburs? hmm, tough call.

I deal with both regularly, I'll take the cityfolk. They are a lot easier to outsmart

One trick when using the smaller 4x6 post is the angles you use. A long strait run is not the best setup. If anyone is interested I will email you a scan of my design. It consist of 4 pens around a square alley with the catchpen and chutes in the center. A long strait setup needs additional bracing. Post holding gates need additional bracing also. Thats where the steel post come in.

I'm still thinking about using used guardrail in my cattle pens, especially for my chute. Haven't checked on the price they go for lately since I'm not quite ready to spend BIG money on anything since we started construction on our new house. Seriously thinking about it though. Put the guardrail chute up, loading chute only, and then cover the sides so the demon ones can't see from side to side. I don't think a guardrail chute would be good for anything else but loading but I think it would be great for cattle pens.

Dick

We rebuilt a lot using old crib panels, used guard rail, used utility poles, and used bridge planks. Got the crib panels from farmers who weren't using the cribs no more. Got the utility poles from the local REC when they replace their poles. Watched sales for the bridge planks. Got the guard rail from a local crew that replaces them. Not as much money into it as one would think. A LOT of our own labor to get the stuff. Put the planks on the bottom so we'd have something to push against when cleaning. Put the guard rail in the middle of the panel where the most pressure is. Panel is tall enough that nothing has thought about going over it since we built it. Best thing we ever did.

Oh what it's like to go to the ol homeplace and lean against a locust post that I knew my granfather put in by hand as a kid......
:D
With the price of t-posts, I am doing several things to collect posts this year, cutting locust,,,, free except for labor!, and going to old or abandoned pastures and offering to remove the fences for free if I can keep the hardware, won't believe how many city dwellers have moved out here for a piece of heaven that want you to do it, and think they are getting over on a poor stupid country boy by not having to pay him to take the fences down....um lessee. one t-post is 3 bucks saved/earned....2 t-posts is 6 bucks saved/earned.........and on and on. :cboy:

Good thinking Medic. You are right, those people think they are getting the land cleaned up for free and you think you are getting posts and wire for free except labor. To me that is called a win-win situation for everyone

for our lot fencing we've been using continuous fencing as we can get the screwups from Linn Post and Pipe and then I'm gunna use some grain bin sheets we have for the working tub and have RR ties and sawed of phone poles for the posts and supports. Got the setup in mind, just gotta set it in motion.

Anyone have a phone number or email address for an Osage Orange post supplier within a couple hundred miles of Springfield, MO that I could get a quote from? Please PM me.

I use ceader, hedge and locoust posy on our farm.
Where do you live I sell fence post at my farm we have a lot of them. Let me know

Latest posts