Fence Posts

Help Support CattleToday:

I'm building a new corral. I'm using some 4" steel post but also a lot of 8' 4x6 treated post. I put 2 60 pound bags of concrete mix around them. The old corral is about 25 years old. Those post were set the same way and are still in good shape today. We have some t post that have been in the ground 20 years. For corner and streacher post we use old power poles cut into 8 foot lengths.

Bama":c7ipn20i said:
I'm building a new corral. I'm using some 4" steel post but also a lot of 8' 4x6 treated post. I put 2 60 pound bags of concrete mix around them. The old corral is about 25 years old. Those post were set the same way and are still in good shape today. We have some t post that have been in the ground 20 years. For corner and streacher post we use old power poles cut into 8 foot lengths.
For our corral we used Telephone poles cut to 10' lengths and buried them 4' deep. Worked real good so we started using them as terminal post.

Ever thought of using rebar for posts and a electric fencer.

I use 3/8 rebar all the time other than for the line posts.Last ones I bought for a 1.04 a post.

For temp electric fences I use 1/2 imc conduit cut in 5 foot lengths. As a electrician I have a good supply for this.

Crowderfarms wrote:

Dick, BTW it's GIT R Done.

I knew I had that wrong. Thanks for the telling me how it's spelled. I put that on the jokes I send to my brothers. Is that stealing? Man that guy is funny.

Certherbeef, that was a pretty funny thread. Thanks for the chuckle.

Dick

icandoit":3goen44l said:
Crowderfarms wrote:

Dick, BTW it's GIT R Done.

I knew I had that wrong. Thanks for the telling me how it's spelled. I put that on the jokes I send to my brothers. Is that stealing? Man that guy is funny.

Certherbeef, that was a pretty funny thread. Thanks for the chuckle.

Dick
Dick, I'm with you, that is one funny guy. I have no Idea how you can type and watch Larry the Cable Guy. My wife don't like him. I think he's great.

Crowderfarms wrote:
Dick, I'm with you, that is one funny guy. I have no Idea how you can type and watch Larry the Cable Guy. My wife don't like him. I think he's great.

I can't type when he's on. When it took me 20 minutes to type a response, I decided to just watch the rest of the show and finish the reply after.

Dick

Bama":1um25yf8 said:

hi bama thats what im using in my coral beefing it up a little by the loading shoot treated 4x6 for post and thought i would use 2x6 8 feet rough cut oak for rails until i went to the saw mill the guy told me they was getting 80 cents board foot that seems real high to me for 200 more dollars for the whole job i can get treated 2x6 8 feet has anybody used these do they warp much and is it worth the extra cost

I'm also using 2x6 treated for rails. I use the longest possible. I am putting 4 rails then on the inside of this I'm using cattle feed panels. I use 16' where possible. I screw these to the post. The top one is above the panels making the top about 5 feet high. They don't wrap bad if you use the longer lengths and screws. I am also using some steel post at the gate hinge side. I welded tabs to these post to bolt the 2x6's to. In a crowding area I use 5/4 decking board inside the panels so they can scrub against this. It is generally flexible enough to bend around the radius.

jerry27150":32ii0y77 said:
hey jake, you can sell those hedge balls for a dollar a piece around some big cities. keeps spiders out of houses they claim
They sell for that and more over east of here in the fall. People will buy dried weeds and all kinds of things. They call it interior decorating. :roll: Been saying for years I should bag up cow s**t to sell over there. I think some of those folks would buy it. I Might be the next cow chip millionaire. :lol:

rws":2td7esak said:
Bama":2td7esak said:

hi bama thats what im using in my coral beefing it up a little by the loading shoot treated 4x6 for post and thought i would use 2x6 8 feet rough cut oak for rails until i went to the saw mill the guy told me they was getting 80 cents board foot that seems real high to me for 200 more dollars for the whole job i can get treated 2x6 8 feet has anybody used these do they warp much and is it worth the extra cost

4x6 posts break too easily. 5" diameter round posts are much stronger.

2x6x8' treated boards won't have much strength and they will tend to bow badly since they are only nailed at each end.

I use 1x6x12' white oak lumber and 6' post spacing. The oak is about 50 cents per board foot which is 25 cents per linear foot.

8 foot post spacing is too wide for a wooden catch pen.
gabby

gabby":3q2aphkm said:
rws":3q2aphkm said:
Bama":3q2aphkm said:

4x6 posts break too easily. 5" diameter round posts are much stronger.

2x6x8' treated boards won't have much strength and they will tend to bow badly since they are only nailed at each end.

I use 1x6x12' white oak lumber and 6' post spacing. The oak is about 50 cents per board foot which is 25 cents per linear foot.

8 foot post spacing is too wide for a wooden catch pen.
gabby

The old corral is built the same way. 8 foot spacing with 2x6's on 4x6 treated post. Over this is feddlot panels with a scrub board over this. We ain't had one go through it in 25 years. Post are still solid. Feedlot panel is bent in a couple of places. The best way to build a corrral that will last, is to cull the demon ones. I do remember as a kid of only about 8 or 10 we had a wooden headgate. My job was to yank the rope and tie it off. I did just that and a rather large bull lifted the whole blasted thing up and bent the hinges. He left the area with the whole thing still caught over his head. This made a big impression on me. Getting that headgate off the bull is another story. He was sold the next week.

well guys went to 7 different saw mills and put 200 mile on my truck looking for rough cut lumber everyone told me they was contracted out for every log that came in to their place and could not sell to the individual except for the guy who wanted 80 cents bd foot guess hes got all this figured out he could just about name his price still seems allfull high i would soon spend the extra on treated 2x6 some of you say its good some say its not i would like to hear more comments on this topic
thanks

RWS- For what it's worth- I grew up with oak corral pens with utility poles set in concrete, so I thought that was the way to do it. You could set off a bomb in there and the fence didn't care. Since then I've seen a lot of 2X6 pens like Bama's that worked fine. I would guess if you aren't using them every day with demonic cattle against them it would be more than stout enough. Just don't cheap out and get the posts too far apart. I would favor a larger round post or a tie but if the smaller posts work for Bama I'll defer to his experience.

Latest posts