Fence knots.

Help Support CattleToday:

callmefence":546150uh said:
Farm Fence Solutions":546150uh said:
callmefence":546150uh said:
Found it..... :lol2: :clap:
I went ahead and voted while I was there.

http://www.cattletoday.com/forum/viewto ... n&start=60

Fence, you need to join the Tornado fencers forum. Nobody has ever even been given a warning point, let alone banned. I think you could be just the influence they are looking for!

Well they let me in. I told em you sent me..... :D

Now maybe the two of us can convince them that since 1776, we are the ones that decide how words are spelled and pronounced. :cowboy:

Farm Fence Solutions":20cgx5cb said:
Grundy53":20cgx5cb said:
Those reef knots are called square knots in the rope world... :lol2: :lol:

Ahhh, but if that rope were to be called a line or a sheet, it'd be a reef knot. ;-)
True, to the bitter ends, but without looking, what is a Charlie Noble and where would one find the Nome rivet?

greybeard":3tgg4oau said:
Farm Fence Solutions":3tgg4oau said:
Grundy53":3tgg4oau said:
Those reef knots are called square knots in the rope world... :lol2: :lol:

Ahhh, but if that rope were to be called a line or a sheet, it'd be a reef knot. ;-)
True, to the bitter ends, but without looking, what is a Charlie Noble and where would one find the Nome rivet?

You've got me on the Nome rivet, but a Charlie Noble is the vent from the galley cook stove.(I just replaced ours....kind of) So what is a Nome rivet?

I had never heard of nome rivet either until I went aboard a Navy replenishment vessel. According to naval and maritime freighter lore, it's a mysterious rivet under the #1 starboard kingpost. On AO 51, Astabula, there was a brass data plate indicating "nome rivet below this king post'. I have no idea what it's purpose or usefulness is, or why it was called that but have heard it referred to several times and always only by sailors with oiler or underway replenishment vessel background.
kingpost

greybeard":2aywqppk said:
I had never heard of nome rivet either until I went aboard a Navy replenishment vessel. According to naval and maritime freighter lore, it's a mysterious rivet under the #1 starboard kingpost. On AO 51, Astabula, there was a brass data plate indicating "nome rivet below this king post'. I have no idea what it's purpose or usefulness is, or why it was called that but have heard it referred to several times and always only by sailors with oiler or underway replenishment vessel background.
kingpost

That's interesting. I'll have to see what I can dig up.

In honor of fence_it's birthday, I forgot my Gripple tool in the truck and had to go old school this evening.
Tex Brown with a pair of modified termination knots in a brace wire.

Farm Fence Solutions":dox2zfmd said:

In honor of fence_it's birthday, I forgot my Gripple tool in the truck and had to go old school this evening.

I'm thinking he'd probably rather have your gripple tool.

callmefence":13wpfbhv said:
Farm Fence Solutions":13wpfbhv said:

I'm thinking he'd probably rather have your gripple tool.

More like some chain strainers and crimps!

Farm Fence Solutions":tlulprvn said:

Your knot tying skill blows me away. What KSI wire are you using?

fence_it":3czqn7ku said:
Farm Fence Solutions":3czqn7ku said:

I prefer 180. Anything over 200 is a no go for hand knotting.

Farm Fence Solutions":1i5uj3p8 said:
fence_it":1i5uj3p8 said:
Farm Fence Solutions":1i5uj3p8 said:

We use 200, it is real tough to tie, takes a lot of finger and hand strength. Only knots we tie are termination, use crimps for everything else. Dad won't buy 180, says he tried some once and it broke all the time. All of our HT smooth wire is Davis.

fence_it":1upi3i9h said:
Farm Fence Solutions":1upi3i9h said:
fence_it":1upi3i9h said:

We use 200, it is real tough to tie, takes a lot of finger and hand strength. Only knots we tie are termination, use crimps for everything else. Dad won't buy 180, says he tried some once and it broke all the time. All of our HT smooth wire is Davis.

It's been a while since I've tried anything else, but I had quite a bit of trouble with 200 and especially 210 breaking with even the simplest of knots. I can't say that I remember ever having any trouble or complaints from customers with our 180, and even have several that drive out of their way to come buy it from us. 210 Chinese junk at the farm store is just about the only other option around here, so it makes it pretty easy for us to sell ours. :D I need to make a trip to the UK in the next month or two.....If you're up for a fencing vacation, you ought to come along.

Latest posts