Fence: Did you know?

Help Support CattleToday:

Eagleman193

Reaction score
I've noticed many cattleman use round pipe for their corners and braces. We did too for awhile. While this isn't necessarily wrong, I want to point out that in this application that square pipe is much stronger. You can really have a great corner using 4" posts and 2" rails. So if you're going to go to the effort and time of building some corners and braces, why not build them as strong as you can? Also 2" square pipe new is cheaper than used drill stem. Currently anyways. Square pipe is also easier to work with. Just wanted to share!

ez14":1ne5lhwt said:
I don`t like the idea of the wire making such a sharp turn around the corner of the tube

I don't totally disagree, but square (or rectangular) structural tubing has rounded corners. The outside corner radius is generally twice the wall thickness.

I don't think you're 2 " square is stronger than my 23/8. Round. Which has 1/4 wall thickness. I pay .85 for new or oilfield pipe. If you can get 4" square for that please contact me.
I will agree square is nice to work with. But round is typically heavier, and much cheaper.
In my experience.
Thanks for your input. If you're experience is different . I'm always ready to learn

FENCE

Please let us know where you can buy square tubing cheaper than used oilfield pipe. I would much rather use square stuff for my projects than the round. Cutting "sockets" to attach two round pipes together sucks. Besides, I have 10,000 feet of 2 3/8 that was free. Can't get much cheaper than free. :D

I'm going to apologize for being short. The read a tape measure thing set me off.
What he's reffering to is 2 inch drill stem. On drill stem the ends are bigger were it threads together. But 23/8 drill stem or new pipe either measures 23/8.
Again we will look at some in the morning

The two things people need to realize is that pipe and tubing are generally not synonymous in this situation. Pipe is measure by the ID. Tubing is measured by the OD. The used oil field "pipe" is actually production tubing. Hence you always see it advertised as 2 3/8 or 2 7/8. That is the actually the OD of those pieces of steel. The ID varies on production tubing with the schedule size..30 40 50 60 70 and 80. Most of what we see this way is represented in the picture i'll post along with this. I haven't seen 2 3/8 or 2 7/8 used as drill stem in a looooong time. Everything here is drilled with 4 1/2" drill stem these days. The production tubing also has had the crud run through it...crude, gas, acid, saltwater, etc..you also have sucker rods rubbing inside the pipe every time that pump jack is running. It doesn't take long for that hardened sucker rod to wear through that pipe.

Pipe is measured on the ID not the threads
Wall thickness varies so the OD varies but not the ID

Cross-7":38xbaedt said:
Cross-7":38xbaedt said:

fence pipe and structural is measured on the od.
The id varies the od remaines the same.
Example would be the galvanized pipe for chain link fence. Wall thickness varies from paper thin 89th ss40 but the od is the same. The fittings would not fit if that was not the case.
I can demonstrate this with photos as well

Yep 2-3/8 is OD with a varied ID due to wall thickness
I should have known by the odd 2-3/8, 2-7/8 sizes

3B Cattle Company":3q1q7ted said:
The two things people need to realize is that pipe and tubing are generally not synonymous in this situation. Pipe is measure by the ID. Tubing is measured by the OD. The used oil field "pipe" is actually production tubing. Hence you always see it advertised as 2 3/8 or 2 7/8. That is the actually the OD of those pieces of steel. The ID varies on production tubing with the schedule size..30 40 50 60 70 and 80. Most of what we see this way is represented in the picture i'll post along with this. I haven't seen 2 3/8 or 2 7/8 used as drill stem in a looooong time. Everything here is drilled with 4 1/2" drill stem these days. The production tubing also has had the crud run through it...crude, gas, acid, saltwater, etc..you also have sucker rods rubbing inside the pipe every time that pump jack is running. It doesn't take long for that hardened sucker rod to wear through that pipe.

Yes, you are correct. I mis-spoke when I said 2 3/8" "PIPE". It's not pipe at all but rather tubing. Didn't mean to make a misleading statement but it's kinda like saying "Kleenix" instead of tissue (tissue being the correct statement if you're talking about Scott tissue). My bad.

No worries. Sold new and used production tubing for a while, and sold a lot of rig moving jobs in my previous career. Most anywhere you go around here its just going to be referred to as pipe..and the 2 3/8 and 2 7/8 everyone knows what your talking about.

Latest posts