Feet grown out

Help Support CattleToday:

bggoff

Reaction score
I have a seven hundred # steer and his feet are grown out.I guess he's been foundered at one time. He seems to walk gingerly on those back feet. Any suggestions on making him more comfortable?

We have had this in a few dairy cows, its from too high of protein in the feed, have to have the feet blocked, with these balck rubber blocks, that remain on for some time, and then just fall off by themselves. I was skeptical that it would work, but it did.

GMN

This topic comes up at least 5 times a month - the advice up top is spot on - but if you are truly concerned a search on these boards will provide you with hours and hours of reading.

Have a look at it - good info.

Bez>

Laminitis usually results from acidosis (often chronic, but sometimes can result from one or a few incidents of low pH in the rumen). Acidosis occurs when pH drops....usually from rapid starch fermentation, not protein content.

rk":275ioxq4 said:
Laminitis usually results from acidosis (often chronic, but sometimes can result from one or a few incidents of low pH in the rumen). Acidosis occurs when pH drops....usually from rapid starch fermentation, not protein content.

I did not say laminitis, I said flounder in dairy cows, there is a difference. And yes it is caused by too rich of feed, too much protein. This was the Vets expalnation, not mine.

GMN

Laminitis is the inflammation of the laminae - the "hoof tissue secreting part of the foot. It's often referred to as founder. In cattle, it's almost always caused by "grain overload", causing rapid starch fermentation in the rumen. Not protein.

rk":3jauwbzj said:
Laminitis is the inflammation of the laminae - the "hoof tissue secreting part of the foot. It's often referred to as founder. In cattle, it's almost always caused by "grain overload", causing rapid starch fermentation in the rumen. Not protein.

I thought grain contained more protein than other food stuffs.??????

"Diseases such as metritis and mastitis can cause laminitis, but the most common and serious cause of laminitis is ruminal acidosis resulting from high concentrate feeding.

http://cvm.msu.edu/extension/docs/heel_fr_lm.htm

Wewild":3aln4lj9 said:
GMN":3aln4lj9 said:
I did not say laminitis, I said flounder
GMN
What is the difference?
laminitis is inflammation of the foot, usually the underside, causing lameness, whereas founder is a condition brought on by nutrition, where the bottom part of the foot gets soft. Regardless of what causes it, it won't cure itself, and if left untreated the cow will go lame, then you may as well just eat her.

GMN

Lamanitis and founder are one and the same... just one is the technical term and the other is the layman's word for it.

Wewild":3ky6tun1 said:
rk":3ky6tun1 said:

I thought grain contained more protein than other food stuffs.??????

"Diseases such as metritis and mastitis can cause laminitis, but the most common and serious cause of laminitis is ruminal acidosis resulting from high concentrate feeding.

http://cvm.msu.edu/extension/docs/heel_fr_lm.htm

Grains are relatively low in protein, particularly compared to oilseed meals....soy, cotton, canola meals, etc. Grains are primarily added to the diet primarily for energy/calories rather than for protein.

milkmaid":2drufmfo said:
Lamanitis and founder are one and the same... just one is the technical term and the other is the layman's word for it.

Thats what I think as well.

milkmaid":2zpngxuz said:
Wewild":2zpngxuz said:
milkmaid":2zpngxuz said:

Thats what I think as well.

Just FWIW... it's not just MM's opinion :p ...it's stated in the Merck Vet Manual too.

Mercks is a very good online manual but the fact that it is available to anyone ........I agree with the laminitis/founder they are one in the same as I have been told by all vets when dealing with such problems; but I have never heard a cow refered to as having founder always laminitis.Also I highly doubt vets go on line and refer to Mercks for all their answers.I am just saying please don't treat it like the "bible" and answer for all diagnoses.

hillsdown":1p326xvb said:
but I have never heard a cow refered to as having founder always laminitis.

Funny how different regions have different "standard" terms. In cows I've alwasy heard it called founder but in horses it was lamanitis.

milkmaid":2o7ijmlk said:

I got to disagree with you on this, I do not think they are the same. The end result may be the same, but they can have different causes and different ways that the end result is met. Founder is a nutritional lameness, laminitis is a condition which many ailments can lead too, such as an abcess, can cause laminitis, but founder is founder, that is why there is separate terminology for it.

GMN

milkmaid":3ofh1nu5 said:

One more thing, I think the Merck book is good for studying in college, I had to do it too, but experience from having animals develop founder, and expereince with animals having foot rot, abcesses out in the field can not be beat. What edition are they in now on the Merck book?

GMN

Latest posts