Feelin' Blue

Help Support CattleToday:

Farmhand

Reaction score
Feelin' kinda blue right now. Well, actually not a little - a lot. Had to bury my red heeler dog, Ike, today. He was 1 1/2 yrs old. Darn dog took to chasin' after something and ran right under our semi as the hubby was leavin'. Can't believe he did this seein' as how long he has been around that semi. Can't believe he's gone. I don't know who has a longer face - me or my blue heeler, Molly. She's even gone off feed. Hubby said he'd start lookin' for a new red heeler pup right away. Told him I'd rather have Ike back. Thinkin' I may need to get one soon for Molly though. He was such a good dog. Sorry for cryin' on your shoulders - I'm takin' it pretty hard. I'll let ya'll go get dry shirts now. Thanks for listening.

My sympathy also farmhand.

Just this side of heaven is a place called Rainbow Bridge.

When an animal dies that has been especially close to someone here, that pet goes to Rainbow Bridge. There are meadows and hills for all of our special friends so they can run and play together. There is plenty of food, water and sunshine, and our friends are warm and comfortable.

All the animals who had been ill and old are restored to health and vigor. Those who were hurt or maimed are made whole and strong again, just as we remember them in our dreams of days and times gone by. The animals are happy and content, except for one small thing; they each miss someone very special to them, who had to be left behind.
They all run and play together, but the day comes when one suddenly stops and looks into the distance. His bright eyes are intent. His eager body quivers. Suddenly he begins to run from the group, flying over the green grass, his legs carrying him faster and faster.

You have been spotted, and when you and your special friend finally meet, you cling together in joyous reunion, never to be parted again. The happy kisses rain upon your face; your hands again caress the beloved head, and you look once more into the trusting eyes of your pet, so long gone from your life but never absent from your heart.

Then you cross Rainbow Bridge together....

Author unknown...

Thank you Dee. I really needed that right now.
Thanks to you also bigjohn.

I too have lost a fair share of beloved friends in similar ways. I'm sorry for your loss. Jeeze, I wish there was more I could say, but anything else would be kinda redundant.

Once again, sorry. :(

I lost Cherokee (my red heeler) a couple of weeks back. We took her to the vet to get her babymaker taken out. She never got over the surgery. I also had one before her ,Cheyanne, that died a year ago the same way but by a differant vet. They sure make great cattle dogs. They were sisters from differant litters. ( I guess they would still be sisters ) Sorry for your loss.

When it comes as a surprise/shock it's a lot worse then if you can see it coming and prepare. It's been 2 plus years since my old Reggie died as a surprise and I still miss that old dog.

dun

I just knew you all would understand. They really do become family quickly. I worry over them just like I worry over my kids. I feel for you Bama - that is a fairly routine operation. You don't expect things to go wrong. I lost both my dogs last summer to old age and health problems. Had them forever. It hurt but at the same time was a blessing because they didn't hurt anymore. It's the sudden unexpected things that cut to the bone. Didn't have time to come to terms with it before it happened. Thank you to everyone for the words of sympathy. It really does help.

sorry you lost a good dog. the good ones can be almost like a brother or sister. your husband is right the best medicine is a new pup. time heals all wounds and in this case a new pup is about the closest you can come to speeding up time. it will be good for your other dog too.

My sympathy on your loss. I've seen hard old men (myself included) cry like a baby over losing a dog or a horse. It hurts, but if it didn't, then you wouldn't be worthy of caring for one. Get a pup in a couple of weeks.

Lee

You have my sympathy as well. I found this years ago and it seems appropriate now.

Lend Me A Pup

I will lend to you for awhile
a puppy, God said,
For you to love him while he lives
and to mourn him when he is gone.
Maybe for twelve or fourteen years
or maybe two or three
But will you, till I call him back
take care of him for me?

He'll bring his charms to gladden you
and (should his stay be brief)
you'll always have his memories
as solace for your grief.
I cannot promise that he will stay,
since all from earth return,
But there are lessons taught below
I want this pup to learn.

I've looked the whole world over
in search of teachers true
And from the folk that crowd life's land
I have chosen you.
How will you give him all your love
Nor think the labour vain
Nor hate me when I come
to take my pup back again.

I fancied that I heard them say
"Dear Lord, Thy Will be Done,"
For all the joys this pup will bring,
the risk of grief you'll run.
Will you shelter him with tenderness
Will you love him while you may
And for the happiness you'll know
forever grateful stay.

But should I call him back
much sooner than you've planned
Please brave the bitter grief that comes
and try to understand.
If by your love, you've achieved,
in memory of him that you've loved,
cherish every moment
with your faithful bundle,
and know he loved you, too.

-Author Unknown

Sorry about your pup-I've lost several over the years and it's always hard. I always go ahead and get another one anyway. I've seen alot of folks lose a dog and say they're never getting another one but I always figure that there's plenty more that need homes so I try to do my part. My dad is a retired diesel mechanic and still raises cattle at age 70-his old farm shepherd died a few weeks ago and he was so sad when he called me to tell me about it-I'm sure he shed a tear or two. His dogs are his kids and they are always waiting for him to step out of the house and go to his truck-if they don't get to ride they pout. A good dog is worth two men helping out on the farm.

I had a walker hound when I was a kid. My uncle gave him to me when I was about eight years old. For the next 7 years we were inseperable. He just turned up dead one morning. That has been 20 years ago and I still think about that dog almost everyday. Those were the gold old days.

JB

I offer my condolences as well. When my hubby was pulling a pot he ended up in Joplin at Jaminson's I believe. They just weaned a litter of austrailian sheppard pups. He climbed out of the truck and before he could shut the door a little red and white pup jumped in.
We lost him last fall. Took after an amish buggy and got hit on the road. Heck of a cow dog.

Milkmaid - what a wonderful poem. Am going to share it with my mother. Thank you. Thank you also to all the others who shared stories. They really helped even though they were about loosing dogs. Something soothing in shared experiences I guess. Am going to take everyone's advice and get another pup. I'll never have another one like Ike but the farm don't seem right without 2 dogs. The new guy will fill that void and the one in my heart. Sunday paper comes in 2 days - think I'll ask hubby to look for me. Maybe some of you have ideas on what to look for in a red heeler pup. I don't think I did too bad in picking Ike but I'm sure there are lots of things I didn't consider. I have a tendency to let my heart rule sometimes. Ike was starting to be a real good cow dog. Don't want to let his memory down by picking a bad one.

Farmhand, I'm so sorry for your loss. Dogs add so much to ours lives everyday, and it's very hard when they are taken away. I know this isn't going to help very much, but try to remember that Ike is in a place where he has unlimited fields to run and romp in, lots of playmates to share it with, no shortage of his favorite things to chase, chew toys abound, no danger of any kind, no threat of illness or injury, and the weather is perfect! I also know about Rainbow Bridge and it is an amazing place! It will never be alright, but it will get easier! Remember, joy shared is joy doubled - sorrow shared is sorrow halved. My heart hurts for you, hon.

Latest posts