feeds

Help Support CattleToday:

cleav

Reaction score
i have two questions first i have some soybean huals and my cows will not eat it. do you mix the soybean huals with corn. second does anyone feed wheat if so do you mix it and if so with what. looking for a good mix for my four heifers and four steers they weigh 650 and 800 lbs.

Get a bag of feed from feed store (e.g., sweet feed) and try it for "taste" with cattle. If they like it, see what ingredients are and try to approximate or buy more. They also need good hay. Wouldn't think soybean hulls alone would be very tasty.

i feed soybean hulls too. I think it has to do with the pasture they are on. My hiefers are on a pasture that has already been eaten down and they love the soybean hulls. But my bulls are on some really green rye grass and they won't touch it. I just put about a handful of sweet feed on top of the hulls and they go to war on it. They'll eat all the hulls trying to get every piece of sweetfeed.
Kinda like hiding a little kids medicine in his applesauce??

i have 120lbs. of soybean huals and 120lbs. of wheat how much hpw much corn should i mix with this for the steers that i have just locked up for slaughter. or should i just feed straight corn with molasis.

Running Arrow Bill":1r1veb11 said:
Get a bag of feed from feed store (e.g., sweet feed) and try it for "taste" with cattle. If they like it, see what ingredients are and try to approximate or buy more. They also need good hay. Wouldn't think soybean hulls alone would be very tasty.

This is good. One thing I liek to try is to eat some myself. I have found out that feed I wouldn't eat the cows don't eat as well. Things that taste good to me they eat real well.

Scotty

Scotty":2naowh3q said:
I have found out that feed I wouldn't eat the cows don't eat as well. Things that taste good to me they eat real well.

Scotty

Your cows like steak?

dun

Scotty":hlbzrsly said:
dun":hlbzrsly said:
Scotty":hlbzrsly said:
I have found out that feed I wouldn't eat the cows don't eat as well. Things that taste good to me they eat real well.

Scotty

Your cows like steak?

dun

Don't yours.

Scotty

To tell the truth, I've never tried it. I enjoy it to much to waste it on a cow.

dun

I too must admit, that i often taste test my feeds, often just to see if I can taste any molds or off flavors . But I don't eat it, I always spit it out.
As for feeding steak to our cattle...isn't this what got us into this BSE mess? :roll: And I would have to wonder.....would they prefer A1 or Hienz sauce with that?

cleav":30jsknrq said:
i have two questions first i have some soybean huals and my cows will not eat it. do you mix the soybean huals with corn. second does anyone feed wheat if so do you mix it and if so with what. looking for a good mix for my four heifers and four steers they weigh 650 and 800 lbs.

if you have a portable mixer, mix some dry molasses with the hulls and maybe some cracked corn . They will eat it then . You can get the dry molasses at your feed store.