what do you think about these feeds and minerals

Help Support CattleToday:

Craig Miller

Reaction score
I have already bought them but if they are no good I can do better next time. I am feeding this calf to butcher around February. He's an older calf. Will be just over a year by the time he's butchered.

Craig, the feed isn't much but if you'll mix it half and half with corn it might grow your steer out for the freezer. There is just nothing to it and the Bovatec is included at about 2/3 of normal amount. The mineral has the hi mag and very little of anything else except calcium and salt. Should be very inexpensive and negate the need for the salt block. Amazing the salt block actually has a higher mineral level than the loose mineral. Don't think I'd buy any more of any of them.

Thanks TB. I was afraid of that. They sold me the salt block as a mineral block. I didn't know it was a salt block until I saw the label. They had two options on feed. Don't know what the other was like but I don't think I'm willing to try too much from there. What do you think about these cubes?

TexasBred":ei9locvy said:
Craig, the feed isn't much but if you'll mix it half and half with corn it might grow your steer out for the freezer. There is just nothing to it and the Bovatec is included at about 2/3 of normal amount. The mineral has the hi mag and very little of anything else except calcium and salt. Should be very inexpensive and negate the need for the salt block. Amazing the salt block actually has a higher mineral level than the loose mineral. Don't think I'd buy any more of any of them.

Can you explain what you mean exactly by saying there's not much to it so in the future I'll know by looking myself at the bags when I buy. The salt block was $7. The mineral was $13. And the feed was $6.50

Craig Miller":txt9h16d said:
TexasBred":txt9h16d said:

Can you explain what you mean exactly by saying there's not much to it so in the future I'll know by looking myself at the bags when I buy. The salt block was $7. The mineral was $13. And the feed was $6.50
It really only has two main ingredients, processed grain by-products which could be anything and "roughage products". No mention of "Grain". Some of the by-products are good ingredients as are some roughage products. Also note the high level of fiber. Look for something 10% or less. You can feed fiber much cheaper from a bale or grazing than from a bag. The feed won't hurt anything but I think you'll be disappointed in the lack of results.

Notice the urea in the cube (Non protein nitrogen) listed right under crude protein. Also has animal protein which is probably feather meal. Both of these are cost cutters. Again it won't hurt anything but for a bit more I think you can get a better cube. Again keep the fiber 10% or less if you can.
And seriously if you can buy corn at a decent price mixing it half and half with that $6.50 feed would make a pretty good "cheap" feed.

Latest posts