Which of these feeds would you use?

Help Support CattleToday:

tom4018

Dumb Old Farmer
Reaction score
Mostly feeding this to 300-500 pound calves we buy. Use it on cows to get them in the corral to fly spray and such on a occasional basis. We feed some yearling bulls this also.
Price is about the same with a couple dollars a ton tight now. Big difference is the pellet versus non pellet.

grower.jpg

beefextender.jpg

Us the first one it has rumensin in it vs Bovatec in the other. You will have to feed more of the Bovatec feed to get the same results as he rumensin feed

The calves should perform better on the first ration due to it having higher protein & fat(energy) & lower fiber than the second ration.

The 12% protein of the pellet is probably a little low for light calves.

For the above reasons I would probably go with the first one

Texas PaPaw":3ngyihd0 said:
The calves should perform better on the first ration due to it having higher protein & fat(energy) & lower fiber than the second ration.

The 12% protein of the pellet is probably a little low for light calves.

For the above reasons I would probably go with the first one
I was always taught the fat was good for growing calves.

TexasBred":vc4yek89 said:
I wouldn't waste money on either of them. They're both junk.

:nod:

I hadn't seen a feed tag in a while
I wondered how they were dealing with high feed costs
Now I know

"Forage Products"/"Roughage Products" in feed AND being one of the highest ingredients
:roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

Howdyjabo":yqo545z0 said:
TexasBred":yqo545z0 said:
I wouldn't waste money on either of them. They're both junk.

:nod:

I hadn't seen a feed tag in a while
I wondered how they were dealing with high feed costs
Now I know

"Forage Products"/"Roughage Products" in feed AND being one of the highest ingredients
:roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:
Well then, what would you suggest for lightweight calves?

Local mill here is high on custome mixes for instance a mix of 1/3 each corn, soyhulls and distillers is about $260 a ton maybe a little cheaper if you use corn gluten in place of distillers.

Local mill here is high on custome mixes for instance a mix of 1/3 each corn, soyhulls and distillers is about $260 a ton maybe a little cheaper if you use corn gluten in place of distillers.[/quote]

That looks pretty good-- see if they can add a coccidiostat (sp)
You might be paying more but the calves will do MUCH better on MUCH less.

You need to check out and see what combination comes in cheaper where you are at
Corn/CGF works
Corn/Distillers works
SBH/CGF or Distillers works
And of course all three together will work

For small calves keep the protein pretty high- 14% or more depending on your hay.

Now for the million dollar question-- Can you make money with whatever you choose to feed?
I'd loose my shirt trying to feed bagged feed.

Howdyjabo":8lz7tmna said:
Local mill here is high on custome mixes for instance a mix of 1/3 each corn, soyhulls and distillers is about $260 a ton maybe a little cheaper if you use corn gluten in place of distillers.

That looks pretty good-- see if they can add a coccidiostat (sp)
You might be paying more but the calves will do MUCH better on MUCH less.

You need to check out and see what combination comes in cheaper where you are at
Corn/CGF works
Corn/Distillers works
SBH/CGF or Distillers works
And of course all three together will work

For small calves keep the protein pretty high- 14% or more depending on your hay.

Now for the million dollar question-- Can you make money with whatever you choose to feed?
I'd loose my shirt trying to feed bagged feed.[/quote]
Those tags are I showed are available in bulk. I buy 3 tons at a time.

tom4018":1ehh3b83 said:
Mostly feeding this to 300-500 pound calves we buy. Use it on cows to get them in the corral to fly spray and such on a occasional basis. We feed some yearling bulls this also.
Price is about the same with a couple dollars a ton tight now. Big difference is the pellet versus non pellet.

Sorry I was so short Tom. Look at your list of ingredients. The 1st ingredient is usually has the highest inclusion rate in the mix. I personally always want that ingredient to be "Grain Products". Neither of these feeds has one drop of grain in them. They do have a lot of grain by-products which may or may not be high quality ingredients and the feed from Southern States Livestock is extremely high in fiber. From the guarantee on the potassium (1.2% and that's high) I'm assuming that is soyhulls which are a good ingredient up to certain levels. The other is lower fiber but higher fat so probably utilizes a lot of rice bran since there is no indication of any source of added fat. Phosphorus level is adequate in both but with the one with the highest level of fiber most of the ph. is "unavailable" if the source is soyhulls. Vitamins in both are inadequate, there is absolutely no guarantee on any of the trace minerals although the list of ingredients does show that there are "some" added.

Here's a tag off a feed I've fed in the past. Most companies now use all inclusive terms for ingredients but this place still list exact ingredients and will show you the formulation so I know it has plenty of energy, TDN, vitamins, minerals, etc.

Crude Protein Min) 14.00%
Crude Fat (Min) 3.00%
Crude Fiber (Max) 10.00%
Acid Detergent Fiber (Max) 9.00%
Calcium (Min) .80%
Calcium (Max) 1.00%
Phosphorus (Min) .50%
Salt (Min) .50%
Salt (Max) .60%
Zinc (Min) 180 ppm
Copper (Min) 30.00 ppm
Copper (Max) 40.00 ppm
Selenium (Min) .60 ppm
Vitamin A (Min) 10,000 IU/lb
Vitamin E 20 IU/lb
INGREDIENTS:
Ground Yellow Corn, Dehulled Soybean Meal, Wheat Middlings, Ground Soyhulls, Dry Distillers Grains, Dehydrated Alfalfa Meal, Rice Bran, Calcium Carbonate , Salt , Vitamin E Supplement , Vitamin A Supplement, Vitamin D3 Supplement, Potassium Chloride, Manganous Oxide, Ferrous Carbonate, Ferrous Sulfate, Zinc Sulfate, Manganese Sulfate, Ethylenediamine Dihydriodide, Sodium Selenite, Cane Molasses , Zinc Amino Acid Complex, Manganese Amino Acid Complex, Copper Amino Acid Complex, Cobalt Glucoheptone,Magnesium Oxide and Yeast Products.

TexasBred":1vufnhas said:
tom4018":1vufnhas said:

Sorry I was so short Tom. Look at your list of ingredients. The 1st ingredient is usually has the highest inclusion rate in the mix. I personally always want that ingredient to be "Grain Products". Neither of these feeds has one drop of grain in them. They do have a lot of grain by-products which may or may not be high quality ingredients and the feed from Southern States Livestock is extremely high in fiber. From the guarantee on the potassium (1.2% and that's high) I'm assuming that is soyhulls which are a good ingredient up to certain levels. The other is lower fiber but higher fat so probably utilizes a lot of rice bran since there is no indication of any source of added fat. Phosphorus level is adequate in both but with the one with the highest level of fiber most of the ph. is "unavailable" if the source is soyhulls. Vitamins in both are inadequate, there is absolutely no guarantee on any of the trace minerals although the list of ingredients does show that there are "some" added.

Here's a tag off a feed I've fed in the past. Most companies now use all inclusive terms for ingredients but this place still list exact ingredients and will show you the formulation so I know it has plenty of energy, TDN, vitamins, minerals, etc.

Crude Protein Min) 14.00%
Crude Fat (Min) 3.00%
Crude Fiber (Max) 10.00%
Acid Detergent Fiber (Max) 9.00%
Calcium (Min) .80%
Calcium (Max) 1.00%
Phosphorus (Min) .50%
Salt (Min) .50%
Salt (Max) .60%
Zinc (Min) 180 ppm
Copper (Min) 30.00 ppm
Copper (Max) 40.00 ppm
Selenium (Min) .60 ppm
Vitamin A (Min) 10,000 IU/lb
Vitamin E 20 IU/lb
INGREDIENTS:
Ground Yellow Corn, Dehulled Soybean Meal, Wheat Middlings, Ground Soyhulls, Dry Distillers Grains, Dehydrated Alfalfa Meal, Rice Bran, Calcium Carbonate , Salt , Vitamin E Supplement , Vitamin A Supplement, Vitamin D3 Supplement, Potassium Chloride, Manganous Oxide, Ferrous Carbonate, Ferrous Sulfate, Zinc Sulfate, Manganese Sulfate, Ethylenediamine Dihydriodide, Sodium Selenite, Cane Molasses , Zinc Amino Acid Complex, Manganese Amino Acid Complex, Copper Amino Acid Complex, Cobalt Glucoheptone,Magnesium Oxide and Yeast Products.

Thanks for the input. Don't know why the first tag does not show corn but it does have corn in it. That is what I am currently feeding as some others I know. One guy that does a lot of lightweights has been averaging almost over 2.5 pounds a day on it with them on grass also, he buys 3 weight and usually sells at 6-7 weight.

He just changed to the pelleted feed and the salesman has been talking to me about changing. I feed mineral to my calves while the neighbor did not. I am going to leave this group on it until I well them and see how they did.

Curious as to what yours costs per ton or are you buying it in bags?

These feeds are $197 and 199 a ton delivered.

Tom, in that case I'd probably feed #1 IF it's the one that is also NOT a pellet. At least you can see what you're getting and even tho it has a little urea in it there isn't that much. The free choice mineral is always a good idea. By the way, down here in Texas "Forage Products" on a label indicates the inclusion of alfalfa. Best Wishes. ;-)

oops...forgot your question about cost. Tom last I bought was back in February. Was around $280 a ton then....probably $400 by now the way everything has gone up.

Latest posts