CPC Feeds

Help Support CattleToday:

Jacob

Reaction score
Has anyone used CPC Feeds? If so what are you using? do you hand feed or free choice? Do you add salt for a regulator and how much are they eating? I am looking for something to grow bulls out without getting them fat. I had a friend of mine use CPC grower but other people are telling me to look into the CPC Developer. Any input with this feed would be greatly appreciated.

I've been using it for years. I use 13% grower 2 weeks before weaning in creep feeder, they stay on that for 45 days after weaning full feed no salt. Then I switch them to 14% developer hand feed at 1% body weight on the bulls. I increased the feed keeping up with there growth till yearling and that's all they will get, usually start around 7lbs a day the most they were ever on was 12.5lbs between Sept weigh and Nov gained just over 4lb a day when they left here bulls averaged 1450 and not to fat to go to work. So I like it pretty well.
Heifers get about 3lbs a day developer not trying to do anything with them other than have them coming when they hear my truck, they look pretty good on what little they get.

Thanks bse,

I think we are going to switch and give it a try I like the idea its a complete feed. we are currently using corn gluten and soybean pellets and I don't think its doing enough for growing the bulls like we want.

TexasBred,

Yes, that is the same company. Apparently the Alabama Farmers' Cooperative carries it so I would get it through them.

Jacob":3qyypo86 said:
TexasBred,

Yes, that is the same company. Apparently the Alabama Farmers' Cooperative carries it so I would get it through them.
Just a personal opinion but with an ADF in excess of 25% it's not very digestible and crude fiber levels like they are tells me it's full of filler. I seriously doubt you could feed enough of it to get a legitimate 4 lb. per day gain on either one of them. Not a lot of companies list ADF but if they do look for one 12% or even lower. Tells you it has real grain in it or highly digestible grain by-products and a good level of energy.

I feed about 6 ton a week right now of this mix, 30% soy hull pellets, 30% DDG, 30% corn chops and 10% cottonseed hulls. Best thing I've ever fed.

denvermartinfarms":22cfnjpm said:
I feed about 6 ton a week right now of this mix, 30% soy hull pellets, 30% DDG, 30% corn chops and 10% cottonseed hulls. Best thing I've ever fed.
Looks like it would do you a good job. Cottonseed hulls work wonders in the rumen. ;-)

We got our first load of CPC Developer today. We will see how it does but the feed does look pretty good.

I've been feeding the 14% CPC Developer for about a month now to some heifers I'm growing. They love the feed. Getting 5lbs/head per day and free choice hay (8% protein fescue hay). They are putting on 2-3 lbs/day with this mix. I've been really pleased with it.

tylerh87":1ixxqdcx said:
I've been feeding the 14% CPC Developer for about a month now to some heifers I'm growing. They love the feed. Getting 5lbs/head per day and free choice hay (8% protein fescue hay). They are putting on 2-3 lbs/day with this mix. I've been really pleased with it.

Sounds like a bit of stretch to consistently get that kind of gain off that kind of feed. Do you weigh before or after they take a dump and pee??

I have used it before, most of what I used was their Grower or a feed call Bruton's Special. I had good results. There was a deal a few years ago that CPC got sued over cattle deaths from their feed. There were full page ad's running in Cow Country News over it.

T B you said earlier you doubt 4lbs a day now your wondering if someone is weighing before they crap and pee, I know what I averaged on it feeding 1% to my bulls just a little over 4lb, not sure if you've used this feed but that's what its done for me, I've got weights from yearling then at 14 months, not a clue if they craped or pizzed before, but that's what they did, genetics do play a part.

bse":2heztpdk said:
T B you said earlier you doubt 4lbs a day now your wondering if someone is weighing before they crap and pee, I know what I averaged on it feeding 1% to my bulls just a little over 4lb, not sure if you've used this feed but that's what its done for me, I've got weights from yearling then at 14 months, not a clue if they craped or pizzed before, but that's what they did, genetics do play a part.
bse I know the type feed it takes to get those kinds of gains and this is not one of them. This feed is loaded with filler. TDN probably not over about 55%. And for whatever it's worth it does matter if they've crapped or peed. Weigh a truck load at home and haul them a few miles to the sale barn and let them stand a few hours and you'll see pretty quickly. That feed will not give 2-3 lbs. per day gain on 5 lbs. of feed. But if it makes you feel good then keep telling yourself it does.

I know it matters if your moving a load of cattle or even one very far, I said I don't know if mine crapped peed of whatever, but what I do know is what they weighed several different times, same scales same place same everything, my bulls were eating 12.5 lbs a day at the end, I don't have to tell myself anything, I can read a scale and even add, subtract and figure adg. I don't have a PhD in feed stuffs maybe you do, but for me and I'm the only one I can speak for, it did it. Just over 4lb a day..

Well I am told feeding at 1% of body weight we should expect 2lbs of gain per day. However I also agree genetics play a big role is ADG so we will see if any of them hit that 4lbs a day. We just weighed all the bulls so I will have a really good idea what they are doing once I weigh them again in a month or so.

bse":wimqnc2r said:
I know it matters if your moving a load of cattle or even one very far, I said I don't know if mine crapped peed of whatever, but what I do know is what they weighed several different times, same scales same place same everything, my bulls were eating 12.5 lbs a day at the end, I don't have to tell myself anything, I can read a scale and even add, subtract and figure adg. I don't have a PhD in feed stuffs maybe you do, but for me and I'm the only one I can speak for, it did it. Just over 4lb a day..
That's all that matter buddy. Buy some really good feed and you might get a 1:1 conversion. :shock:

Jacob 2 lbs. sounds much more in line. BTW excellent website. :nod:

For clarification, I weighed them at the end of the day after they had eaten all day. This could have made a difference in the weight. My previous wait was around noon. Also, this feeds TDN is 68%. And yes, my scales get calibrated and I do a test weight prior to each weighing.