Feeding Whole Cottonseed

Help Support CattleToday:

Reaction score
We have not gotten much rain in the last 12 months or so. We might get 0.2" here or 0.5" there but the summer heat has burned that off. We finally got 1-1.5" a couple days ago and it greened things up but didnt even cause any run off. Some places are doing better than others.

At one place that is the worse off we have cows with Jan & Feb calves at their side. The last couple of weeks you could see body condition start dropping slightly so I started feeding whole cottonseed Monday. I'm using this one for a test run because it's close and doesnt have that many cattle.

Multiple online sources said it may take the cattle time to acclimate to it and that you could put 2-3 days in a trough and the cattle would self regulate to some extent because of the high fat content. My observation in this short time is neither is true. :)

Tuesday evening I put out an estimated #3-5 per head. As soon as I put it in the troughs they went to eating on it. They did not bury their faces in like ground feed or cubes but they did not shy from it either. That night we had a light rain. Wednesday morning I went back and made sure the troughs drained good an rolled it around a little.

Thursday when I went the troughs were licked cleaned so I put an estimated #8-10 per head out. Today the troughs were licked clean again.

I will add these cattle are use to eating from troughs. You can throw rocks in a trough and they will at least go check it out and sniff around on the rocks, maybe even lick one or two.

I'm curious if any one else has seen the same results with them not regulating their consumption?

My issue now is having to feed it daily throws a different dynamic in to it. Every 2-3 days wasnt horrible.

I'm going to get a scale to get a little closer on my pounds but I'm getting it in #1000 totes so I'm in the ball park just seeing how much of the totes are used up. I'm also trying to get my hands on an old rusted out cattle trailer I can cut the top off of and dedicate to the CS. Its even a little cheaper like that than in the totes.

Curious what other people's experiences are with it? Any help or advise is appreciated. :tiphat:

I've heard of feeding it free choice, but don't buy into it. Im confident they will eat all they can hold, at least a Good many will.
I started using it as cow caller this year in place of cubes. We haul it from the gin in a dump trailer. Store in a cheap metal storage building with a concrete floor. Instead of loading bags of cubes when going to check places I load WCS in buckets and molasses tubs.
A couple inches from top and pressed down
5 gallon bucket= 16 pounds
225 size tub about 65 pounds
Better feed than cake and less than half of the cost.
I kinda think salt would stick to it pretty good. That would sure limit intake. I haven't tried it though, maybe you can. I'm all but out maybe a few hundred pounds. If you don't mind.. where are you finding it this time of year and what's it costing.

callmefence said:
I've heard of feeding it free choice, but don't buy into it. Im confident they will eat all they can hold, at least a Good many will.
I started using it as cow caller this year in place of cubes. We haul it from the gin in a dump trailer. Store in a cheap metal storage building with a concrete floor. Instead of loading bags of cubes when going to check places I load WCS in buckets and molasses tubs.
I kinda think salt would stick to it pretty good. That would sure limit intake. I haven't tried it though, maybe you can. I'm all but out maybe a few hundred pounds. If you don't mind.. where are you finding it this time of year and what's it costing.

I'm hoping to incorporate it a lot more because like you said its half the price of any thing out of a bag. Plus I have not been getting the results that I think I should from the bag feed around here.

Sinton has a gin and its $145 per #1000 in totes or $240 per ton loose if they dump it in a trailer for you. Lots of cotton all thru that area. The people are super nice at the gin and it feels like they roll the red carpet out for you no matter if you buy 1 tote or 10.

I've noticed when going to look at these guys out west they all have huge barns of wcs they feed thru the winter or dry times.

Is that about right on the price? I didnt call around much because it was the closest.

Brute 23 said:
callmefence said:

I'm hoping to incorporate it a lot more because like you said its half the price of any thing out of a bag. Plus I have not been getting the results that I think I should from the bag feed around here.

Sinton has a gin and its $145 per #1000 in totes or $240 per ton loose if they dump it in a trailer for you. Lots of cotton all thru that area. The people are super nice at the gin and it feels like they roll the red carpet out for you no matter if you buy 1 tote or 10.

I've noticed when going to look at these guys out west they all have huge barns of wcs they feed thru the winter or dry times.

Is that about right on the price? I didnt call around much because it was the closest.

We buy at either Waterloo gin in Taylor or Grainger gin in Grainger. We paid 190 a ton this past season. But it's only usually available November until late January. I would say your deal is ok considering the time off year. I would pay it right now.

Around Christmas my cousin had my dump trailer hauling us both some form Grainger. Dumped him a load and me a load and was heading back for more when the gin called and
Said a #? Of big rigs had just rolled in and bought him out.. heading out west with it.

That's interesting. I'm going to talk to these people and see what their supply is like.

Knowing those pounds per tub and bucket is handy. I'd love to use it instead of cubes.

A little shoveling is good too. I think I've built a few muscles these last couple of days.

Go ahead and feed the 10-12 even 15 lbs at a time but only feed every other day or every three days. They should still do well.

Have supplemented cows grazing stockpiled frozen bermudagrass with cottonseed thru winter for many years. Normally feed 1/2 of 5 gal bucket per cow, 3 times per week. If cows are really thin or lactating sometime feed 4X weekly.

Is my understanding that gossypol is not such an issue with seed from short staple, upland cotton. It's more of an issue in long staple, Pima cotton. Pima is only grown in limited acreage in far west Tx, Arizona and California so vast majority of seed is from upland cotton. Apparently Pima seed has much higher levels of gossypol.

I've been using a couple molasses tubes in the bed of my old truck for now. Seems to work pretty decent. We had about 3" of rain last week and it greeted every thing up but we will need a lot more. I cut back to about #3-4 per head.

If the cattle can see me they will come running for that wcs. Definitely have to have plenty of trough space because they fight to get in to it. I dont see how the free choice would ever work.

The younger end of the calves will not mess with it but have noticed the bigger calves which would be like Jan born will come right in to it and eat with the cows. Not sure if that is good or bad, yet.

I've fed it for years. Primarily in winter. But also feeding some now bc the grass is short and it's dry. Paid $130/ton this past winter.
Fence is dead on. 5 gallon bucket weighs 16 pounds. My tubs will hold 80 pounds. I typically feed 6# per head per day or around 12# every other day. Depends on weather. I don't try to get it exact. Just close. I don't think gossypol poisoning is a huge issue due to the fact that most of our southern cotton is upland varieties, as mentioned above.
In regards to feeding free choice, I've done it some. My experience is that they will self limit pretty well for the most part. I've only done it on a limited basis. I have put out enough for 3 days and it lasted 3 days. I'm sure some ate more than others and these cows also had hay and were accustomed to eating cottonseed daily. I have some neighbors that put it out in tractor tires and feed it entirely free choice.
I read a study done by UGA I think. They concluded that cows would limit their consumption due to the fat content, but that limit may be higher than 8# daily for some cows, therefore they concluded it wasn't cost effective. However, IMO, that depends on what a weapons rime is worth. Here's a link to that experiment.
http://www.angusjournal.com/ArticlePDF/WCS%2008.10%20AJ.pdf

JMJ Farms said:
I've fed it for years. Primarily in winter. But also feeding some now bc the grass is short and it's dry. Paid $130/ton this past winter.
Fence is dead on. 5 gallon bucket weighs 16 pounds. My tubs will hold 80 pounds. I typically feed 6# per head per day or around 12# every other day. Depends on weather. I don't try to get it exact. Just close. I don't think gossypol poisoning is a huge issue due to the fact that most of our southern cotton is upland varieties, as mentioned above.
In regards to feeding free choice, I've done it some. My experience is that they will self limit pretty well for the most part. I've only done it on a limited basis. I have put out enough for 3 days and it lasted 3 days. I'm sure some ate more than others and these cows also had hay and were accustomed to eating cottonseed daily. I have some neighbors that put it out in tractor tires and feed it entirely free choice.
I read a study done by UGA I think. They concluded that cows would limit their consumption due to the fat content, but that limit may be higher than 8# daily for some cows, therefore they concluded it wasn't cost effective. However, IMO, that depends on what a weapons rime is worth. Here's a link to that experiment.

Thanks. Good article.

I guess it's a matter of which is more cost effective... a few extra pounds vs the fuel and time. #9 vs #3 is like $0.84 per head per day.

Brute 23 said:
JMJ Farms said:

Thanks. Good article.

I guess it's a matter of which is more cost effective... a few extra pounds vs the fuel and time. #9 vs #3 is like $0.84 per head per day.
Brute, feed companies cannot make a feed as that will compare nutritionally with WCS unless it's extruded dog food. lol. In my opinion you can't go wrong. Fed worlds of it to dairy cattle with no adverse affects re: breeding/calving etc.

I know this thread is 2 years old-is it a reasonable ration for feeding finishing steers? Have an option for WCS + corn gluten 28% protein. Not enough fat/energy? Cheaper than 12% sweet feed. Any flavor issues for the meat? We're missing rain so pasture is not great

Ca
I know this thread is 2 years old-is it a reasonable ration for feeding finishing steers? Have an option for WCS + corn gluten 28% protein. Not enough fat/energy? Cheaper than 12% sweet feed. Any flavor issues for the meat? We're missing rain so pasture is not great
Can you replace the CG feed with soy hull pellets? Resulting mix would have about 16% protein, excellent digestability and more than adequate energy.

That's interesting. I'm going to talk to these people and see what their supply is like.

Knowing those pounds per tub and bucket is handy. I'd love to use it instead of cubes.

A little shoveling is good too. I think I've built a few muscles these last couple of days.
WCS will replace cubes pound for pound and have much much more nutritional value at half the price.

WCS will replace cubes pound for pound and have much much more nutritional value at half the price.
That post was from 2020. I've been feeding the wcs in totes since and have been very happy. You and fence and others made me a believer. With modest stocking rates we have cut our hay by like 2/3s. Just like you said... a little cottonseed goes a long ways if you have standing grass, even if it's not the best quality.

Wish I was still paying the 2020 prices.😄

Latest posts