Feeding Round Bales

Help Support CattleToday:

inyati13

Reaction score
We have a tough three days of wet and cold coming our way. I had never considered putting down my rolls and using the spear to unroll them in the feed area until Fire Sweep showed me that technique when she was here a couple of weeks ago. It not only provides a dry warm area to bed but I have noticed there is less waste. The disadvantage is, I have to lock the cows in the holding area while I use the spear to unroll. Especially the bull. He wants to attack the roll and I am concerned he will impale himself on the spear. Nevertheless, it is worth the effort.

Inyati, there's a fella down the road from me that sets his round bale uphill and simply unrolls downhill. I noticed that his cattle clean it up pretty well. Just got three days of rain here and the area around the new bale I put in the ring the day before is one big mud pit. I might try unrolling a bale downhill too and see how it works out.

I can't imagine hay being used as bedding and wasting less, but i've not tried it.

James T":rumroxah said:
Inyati, there's a fella down the road from me that sets his round bale uphill and simply unrolls downhill. I noticed that his cattle clean it up pretty well. Just got three days of rain here and the area around the new bale I put in the ring the day before is one big mud pit. I might try unrolling a bale downhill too and see how it works out.

Most of mine were brought up from calves feeding with rings. I try ever so often to roll one out and I will continue this year. The first thing they do is walk the whole thing while doing their business, lay down on it for a while and walk back to the rings and stand. I realize they're spoiled but I hate to waste enough hay and beef pounds to break them to it.

fitz

The only correct way to feed hay is roll it out unless it's in a manger. If they are wasting it they don't need feeding. If they aren't eating it all you are feeding to much.
Now do we roll out all the time? No, sometimes if bad weather is coming we put bales in the woods. These are to eat and for bedding. When the weather is going to be real bad we won't to have plenty for them and us not have to go out as much, that is when we waste it.
If rolled correctly there is no waste.
We feed a lot in cotton trailers and that also has some waste, they drop a lot on the ground when they pull it out to eat but again that's a convenience thing for our time.

As many hills as you have why do you even worry about the hay fork to unroll them. Let them unroll themselves down the hill and also spread the manure out as they eat. Only thing that eats directly out of the roll here are calves in the weaning lot.

We unrolled a few years and it does waste a lot less. We would unroll enough for 24 hours at a time, which is also a pain, because we had to drop hay daily. But when we were short feed that year, it made a difference before the grass grew back. Also, when you unroll, you are not stuck with a mess to clean up at the end of the hay season because the hay is unrolled, and thus there is poop everywhere and not in one spot.
This year we can not unroll bales because we seeded all the fields we overwinter in this fall, and I do not want the cows damaging my new grass. So they are stuck in a muddy mess with two hay rings. I should have thought out that plan a little better.... But I had the seed and the resources to get it in the ground at the time and those pastures needed it most!

The only time I roll out hay is when we've had some snow or ice. I want them to have a place to lay down, insulated from the ground. They'll eat some or a lot, but a lot is wasted, and that's fine. To be eaten is not the primary reason I unroll some, they have hay in the rings, and the rings are moved each time over a sacrifice area.

talltimber":1nabet0q said:
The only time I roll out hay is when we've had some snow or ice. I want them to have a place to lay down, insulated from the ground. They'll eat some or a lot, but a lot is wasted, and that's fine. To be eaten is not the primary reason I unroll some, they have hay in the rings, and the rings are moved each time over a sacrifice area.

My primary group (21 mature cows & 12 calves) are eating just at 1 & 1/2 4x4 rolls per day. Today the rings were completely empty so I drove by them and rolled one down the hill. I was figuring on rolling some out tomorrow anyway as it's going to get cold for here, 9 degrees. I'll see what they do.

fitz

Fitz: going to be 0 here Wed night. I like what experience I am having unrolling the hay. They do lay down but they still get most of it eaten. I am using less hay!!!

inyati13":az9yadax said:
Fitz: going to be 0 here Wed night. I like what experience I am having unrolling the hay. They do lay down but they still get most of it eaten. I am using less hay!!!

I'm going to put out enough tomorrow that I don't have to start the tractor Thursday. The ones I have here at the house actually eat out of a half ring I rigged up in the barn. They should be warm and cozy. A good freeze will allow me to haul some hay in here Friday with the ground solid.

talltimber":2wkzyrp0 said:

If I were a cow I'd want to live at your place!

I hope mine feel that way, although at times I feel taken advantage of! Similar situation with the wife, she has it so good. lol

I may should relay that my hay is not top shelf alfalfa, clover or bermuda. It's fescue, and some of it two yrs old. So, I don't feel like it's costing me much to try to make them comfortable.

That's also why I give them a couple mouthfuls of 12-13% feed every other day or so, every day in bad weather.

I want them coming through winter in good shape, I don't need any problems (although my inputs may become a problem some day and need adjusting)

talltimber":7iyocyow said:
I want them coming through winter in good shape, I don't need any problems (although my inputs may become a problem some day and need adjusting)

I agree. Most of what I know about cattle I learned from my father, and I heard him say many times "It's a lot easier to keep weight on cows than it is to put it back on after they've lost it."

Latest posts