FEEDING HAY

Help Support CattleToday:

piedmontese":382gwota said:
plumber_greg":382gwota said:
Think of it Pied as if you had a cow or a bull in the barn lot temporarily and were giving it square bales. You wouldn't feed them more than they would eat that day, why would you unroll more of a big bale than your cows would eat that day? When I fed only square bales, I would figure 1/2 to 2/3 bale per cow. Was too lazy to haul more than they would eat each day. gs
that makes sense but i would rather feed in a bale ring and not have to feed everyday.i use 7 feeders and feed 1-2 times per week.
I'm lazy too. Feed once a week.

Some times we unroll them and it works good but some times they lay on it... probably because they are not hungry. Good thing about unrolling it, especially when its wet, is they stomp the coastal or tifton into the ground and plant it for you. We always feed in spots that need planting. :D

Brute 23":2inn4xj4 said:
Some times we unroll them and it works good but some times they lay on it... probably because they are not hungry. Good thing about unrolling it, especially when its wet, is they stomp the coastal or tifton into the ground and plant it for you. We always feed in spots that need planting. :D
yep really helps with the seeding and organic matter in weak areas
in the spring you can see everywhere you unrolled a bale in the winter because it will green up quicker and have a higher growth than what wasn't fed on

This is hayrays picture that he wanted to post:
haystack.jpg

we feed hay in the bale rings.an our waste is basically 0,unless we move the ring early.then theres minamal waste.an we feed 6 or 8 bales a week or as needed.

we feed in rings mostly every day. I wait till they clean it up before they get any more. It doesn't get messed up cause its gone in 24 hours.

I go to work everyday, I want enough rings to fill so I can just fill them every Sat., I buy one every year, then I keep heifers back,and I have more to fill. Ain't never gonna' get it to even. gs

It gets hauled once, from the field to where I baled it right to where I am gonna feed it. There are a couple spots where I stack and tarp it in the summer on the edge of fields where I bale it and then I move it to a feed area in early winter, that hay would not be stacked like in the picture but just put out in single tier rows.

Latest posts