Feeding Candy to your herd?

Help Support CattleToday:

On occasion our cows get a treat they get some of that expensive Bermuda hay instead of Fescue or Prairie. The sure do eat it like it is candy.

the only candy mine get is wilted thistles when i chop them down. there are a few smart ones that follow me around and eat the tall grass that was growing under the thistles when i whack them down. they also like wilted pigweed now.

Beefy":1284ft9u said:
werent cows once designed to eat grass? i heard that one time.

:shock: What a concept! Where did you hear this, it might be beneficial! We can always spend a few thousand tax dollars to check it out. ;-)

My friends dad used to feed all the day old stuff, bread, twinkies, moon pies, you name it to his hogs. He always took the wrappers off though. I remember it well. He would sit there with a pick up truck full unwrapping them. "one for them; One for me" He had a heart attack and died, but he still lived longer than the hogs. :cboy:

Seriously, aside from everything else, I would be very scared to feed the wrappers with the candy, bread, or anything else. Even if it passes it will just be laying around the pasture not decomposing.

msscamp":3d5poqya said:
Beefy":3d5poqya said:
werent cows once designed to eat grass? i heard that one time.

:shock: What a concept! Where did you hear this, it might be beneficial! We can always spend a few thousand tax dollars to check it out. ;-)

I bet with enough money spent they could come up with a "candy intake EPD" could make us all money.

MD

Got ahold of the guy about the candy. He sells it already ground up pretty well. Guarenteed analysis minimum, 10% protein 10%fat, will give cattle diabetes if fed for an extended period of time :lol: :lol: Just kidding about the last part. It costs $65 aton picked up. I'm gonna try a few ton just for the heck of it.

Latest posts