Feeding Candy to your herd?

Help Support CattleToday:

Reaction score
I'm still a tad ignorant in the cattle realm, and have heard lots of things and seen things, that are logical and some not so, when it comes to extra treats for your herd that they like and fatten them up at the sametime.
I hear a few ranchers near me are buying candy from diffrent factorys and feeding it to there herd. My understanding its "candy" that falls on the floor, ext, ext, sorta like them cheap brands of ciggrets that use the left over tobacco as there filler. Is this candy good for them? Dose a make a differance in quality of beef or any other important pros/cons inthis method of feeding?
I know if I ate candy as a part of my daily diet, I would be fat, however, is that the bottom line of commercail cattle?
Just wondering.

A lot of time the term "cattle candy" refers to range cubes, and other such "treats" that are used more for taming and working a herd than for actually supplementing them. in other words it keeps them coming to the bucket so you can work them.

I've not heard of beef cattle gettin candy, but watched a deal on rfd tv a while back about dairy's feedin their cows candy, said in increased the milk a whole bunch.

bullred":1krajf0c said:
A lot of time the term "cattle candy" refers to range cubes, and other such "treats" that are used more for taming and working a herd than for actually supplementing them. in other words it keeps them coming to the bucket so you can work them.

This is actually, from what I have gatherd, actual candy from high profile companies that they are using as a weight gainer. I was offerd a deal if I had bought a 30 cow herd off this "gentelman" that he would give me a deal/contact in getting tons at a very cheap price. The herd he was offering left a lot to be desierd,hence, I have little info. on this candy theory. Also he is not the only one I heard talk about this practice. I'n the way I'm describing.

At Night my Cattle, like a bed time story and some Cookies, I make them bring the milk ;-) ..... range cubes yes. real candies no way.

A few years ago I delivered a load of hay to a farmer in lancaster county, he had 2 big pallet boxes full of outdated mounds and almond joy bars , he said he grinds them in his steer feed, I said that must be a lot work to take all the wrappers off , he said he grinds them wrapper and all.

whatabull":1ugclut1 said:
At Night my Cattle, like a bed time story and some Cookies, I make them bring the milk ;-)

:lol2: :lol2: Whatabull, do they have a preference as to the story?

Well today neighbor came over to inquire about my bulls and intentions, ext.
So I took the conversation in the direction of this candy feeding and this is what I found out.
They buy candy from hard candy dealers/chewing gum dealers by the ton, that is scrap candy that falls on the floor or dosnt meet there "Standards". Basically anyone can conntact one of these companies and set up a contract for a certain amount a month, of this scrap candy (by the ton).
He tells me it not so much for the milk% however for getting them "fat" and selling them faster at commercail auctions, due to there weight.
I will not practice this method, just because I feel it may be a tad dishonset to the end buyer if they are getting more fat% than actual beef.
My 2 cents on this topic.

Feeding candy to cattle is actually a pretty common practice and a usefull one if properly managed. Candy is a good source of Energy (not fat) from all that sugar and if it only makes up 20 % of the diet or less then should see not only more gain from your calves but some health benifits as well.

You can buy it by the ton at alot of feed stores. It is mixed with dry cattle feed at some places. People use it for creep feed and the calves love it.

Thanks for the info.

ccfranklin":16iqav4q said:
Feeding candy to cattle is actually a pretty common practice and a usefull one if properly managed. Candy is a good source of Energy (not fat) from all that sugar and if it only makes up 20 % of the diet or less then should see not only more gain from your calves but some health benifits as well.

I know a guy in Clay County that feeds peppermint candy to his cows in the winter along with hay. He told me that it comes in a bale that is stuck together with the peppermint candy still in the wrapper. I guess they just mash it together and it sticks. He likes it but I don't know where he buys it. I will try to find out if you like.

I had a gentleman in Clanton, Alabama to tell me the other day that his neighbor started feeding the candy a few years ago when we had the drought here. No grass, hay was scarce and the fella went to a peppermint factory in east Alabama and started buying the candy to feed. He said this fella fed wrapper and all. Told me he had some of the best looking, slickest cows around. I know folks who go to the bread store and buy day old bread and feed to their cows. Also have heard of folks buying outdated milk and ice cream products to top dress their feed on their calves. We would probably be suprised at all the different things folks do. :eek:

We have been feeding bread, muffins, bagels, etc. for over two years with good results. These are just commercial cows whose diets are supplemented with over minerals - I would not recommend trying these "alternative" feed sources as a sole ration. I am not a nutrition expert but comon sense tells me that most of these feeds, especially 'bakery waste' are not great sources of protein.

warpaint":38dyherq said:
Msscamp:

Had to be "Hey diddle diddle" you know the cow jumped over the moon, has to be their favorite part! ;-)

Good answer! :lol2: :lol2:

shorty":3mw9ptus said:
A few years ago I delivered a load of hay to a farmer in lancaster county, he had 2 big pallet boxes full of outdated mounds and almond joy bars , he said he grinds them in his steer feed, I said that must be a lot work to take all the wrappers off , he said he grinds them wrapper and all.
Just curious where this was....Im from Lancaster county and feeding candy and other sweet treats is a big thing around here...On our farm, we feed our steers expired tastycakes....they love em and it turns them into BIG BABIES!!!!! it makes it a whole lot easier to move them when they are tame!! Its not really a fattening up thing, its just for a treat : )

Latest posts