feeding calf

Help Support CattleToday:

dbc

Reaction score
Ive been bottle feeding a calf, and prolly will be for another week or so. I have also been feeding him some calf starter pellets. My question is how much feed should i feed him a day, and what else does he need? anything helps

My question is how much feed should i feed him a day, and what else does he need?

we hand fed a couple of hand fulls of calf starter after we were done milking. boy they like that but be careful they bit...HARD!!! then after that we put a little bit of water in there buckets and let them drink that until they got used to a bucket in there pen. then after they got used to the starter we put a little feed trough in there pen once we got closer to weining and they got used to eating out of that.

hoped that helped.

Do not stop giving that calf milk replacer until it is eating at least 3 pounds of dry calf starter a day for at least a week. I cannot caution you enough on that. If you do, you are setting yourself up for respiratory illness. Also, push the probios...helps with stimulating appetite.

And hay...give that calf good, grassy type hay...like coastal.

Alice

You're welcome. Will ya' let us know how it goes? :)

Alice

sure will... what exactly is probios, and do i get it at the feed store?

dbc":2tjqaiuv said:
sure will... what exactly is probios, and do i get it at the feed store?

Probios is a microbial...and there are other brands of microbials. If you happen to have a Walco around, they have a microbial that is less expensive. What it does is keep the digestion of the calf's food going properly. It just helps keep their digestion and food absorption straightened out.

We always use it when we give antibiotics to calves because the antibiotics destroy all bacteria, good and bad. The Probios replaces the good bacteria. I've also read that it can stimulate appetite, which is why I suggested it.

And yes, you can get it at the feed store.

Good luck with the calf. :) (And don't take it off that bottle too early!)

Alice

When is it ok to stop feeding him and put him back in the pasture with the rest of the cows. Also should i expect a big drop off when he quits getting feed and just gets grass?

Latest posts