Feed

Help Support CattleToday:

chadreed88

Reaction score
If you wanted to get your cows to produce more milk for calves and put weight on them at the same time what would you feed. It can either be bulk or bagged.

A good quality hay or forage is essential for good milk production.

Beef cows utilize their feed differently than a dairy cow. A dairy cow puts all of her energy into making milk, that is why they are lean. A beef cow will put the feed energy into herself - namely fat and muscling, not necessarily milk.

There was a thread here in the past about feeding beef cows to increase milk production.

If the calves are pulling the cows down, you might want to look into creep feeding the calves.

Thanks its not that they are pulling the cows down because they haven't been on them long enough its that we left the last calves on the cows to long and they never really gained back before they calved. I'm going to do something to improve this just thought I would check others opinions. Anybody had any good using the Loomix liquid feed or something like that? Will it put weight on cattle if you feed plenty of hay or on good pasture? Or is it just for mineral supplement

chadreed88":3vqv8d8a said:
Thanks its not that they are pulling the cows down because they haven't been on them long enough its that we left the last calves on the cows to long and they never really gained back before they calved. I'm going to do something to improve this just thought I would check others opinions. Anybody had any good using the Loomix liquid feed or something like that? Will it put weight on cattle if you feed plenty of hay or on good pasture? Or is it just for mineral supplement
We used Loomix on range cattle but the only forage was sparse cheat grass, sage brush and creosote bush.

If you're in an area you can get cotton seed or a byproduct of cotton production, that is a good source of "fat" for your cows. We can get lint on seed by the ton from a gin here in Central Texas that is affordable to feed.

I believe in salt blocks and loose minerals for lactating cows. Mine are on good hay and they are in great shape. Not pulled down any at all. Plus the oldest cows in the herd are only 7 years old; good teeth makes a difference too. Twice this winter I have given them a treat with cubes and that's it other than hay.

chadreed88":1qpazu9j said:
If you wanted to get your cows to produce more milk for calves and put weight on them at the same time what would you feed. It can either be bulk or bagged.

I wouldn't feed them, I would change my genetics and start selecting for better milkers.

Changing genetics is a good long range plan, but what are you going to do right now?

chadreed88":1u94kgqn said:

Chadree88, Just asking, what body score condition are the cows in now has a bearing on what you need to do right now.
http://www.ag.ndsu.edu/pubs/ansci/beef/as1026.pdf
In about a month and a half the grass should start to green up (hopefully). This time of the year they don't have to be BCS 5-6 (be nice if they were). If they are 4-5, greenup is just around the corner so maintaining condition is the game rather than improving at this time.

What are you currently feeding them? Is the hay good quality hay? What is the current pasture situation? Can you improve pasture situation next year?

How big/old are the calves?

TheBullLady":rile7lxy said:
If you're in an area you can get cotton seed or a byproduct of cotton production, that is a good source of "fat" for your cows. We can get lint on seed by the ton from a gin here in Central Texas that is affordable to feed.

Cotton seed is good stuff. Gin trash is also a fairly good supplement too - especially since its free.

Then there's always cotton rolls. :lol2:

IMG_4069.jpg

Roadapple":14g9g8sc said:
Changing genetics is a good long range plan, but what are you going to do right now?

Cut your losses before you throw good money after bad?

I would look at some type of liquid feed with some fat and sugar to supplement energy. This should keep their condition from sliding too much until they get to some decent pasture. In the future be sure to pull the calves off so you have enough time for the cows to regain condition BEFORE they calve. It's very tough to put condition on after they calve out. You might want to keep an eye on them come breeding season. It's likely you won't get as high of conception rates with cows in poor condition.

Roadapple":aufdajeg said:

That would depend on how poor of a milker she is and how many we are talking about. If only one or two, possibly supplement with a bottle, possibly seperate her and give her better quality hay. If we are talking the entire herd, probably sell and cut my losses. You cannot make money in agriculture anymore by feeding bagged feeds, buying feed in bulk is not all that cheap, and - unless I'm feeding them piss poor hay, or running them on piss poor pasture - if I have to supplement them they are not doing their job.

For the people that say sell and cut your losses, what do you think these thin cows will bring? I would bet that I could buy some inputs cheaper than the hit I would take for selling cows in poor shape.

mwj":26ebunig said:
For the people that say sell and cut your losses, what do you think these thin cows will bring? I would bet that I could buy some inputs cheaper than the hit I would take for selling cows in poor shape.

I have never raised cattle in your climate. I do realize that colder temps require more calories. You also have to realize that my cattle have to nurse calves in the summer heat and it can be just as trying. Mine calve year round - and there's a reason for it. They have really good hay in the winter.

My opinion is that you should grow the best forage possible on the land you have and that you should have cattle suitable for maintaining good condition on that forage. "Easy keepers" so to speak.

Take care of the grass. Exceptional care. Rotate, fertilize. Cut your hay at optimum times as weather permits. Don't go overboard but become good at what you do. It is cheaper to grow forage than to purchase sack feed. Know the nutritional value of your forage and keep it good. Learn optimum hay cutting techniques - if you don't already know.

Select animals that are suited for your forage (and climate).

If you are going to have to spend a lot to feed animals outside of what you are growing on your own, you're going to cut deep into profits. Profit margins are very tight to begin with.

I might spend $100 a month on cubes. My cows get cubes when they change pasture or when they need to be coaxed into working pens. That is it.

Innoculations are not expensive and they are well worth the money. Parasites can drag cattle down in my climate. Fly problems abound. Preventative parasite applications are cheap in comparison to what they gain the cows in health and BCS.

Keep good minerals out free choice.

Some popular breeds don't thrive as well on my pasture in my climate. Putting a terminal bull on cows that do thrive buys you a 50% average market stake on what the market demands.

If your cows are not thriving on what your pasture can provide, and you are retaining from that group to sustain the herd, cull them. Or you could cover those cows with a bull/breed that will improve the herd through retention.

It aint all breed either. Brangus thrive for me but you can always get a bad apple - with any breed. Cull the bad apples. The best commercial cow I own at the moment is a Char/Brahman cross (F-1) who stays butterball fat and drops a calf on average every 10 months and 14 days. She's never lost a calf and she's never been a health problem. She is an excellent milker. I could brag on her all day.

You are where you are at the moment. You don't have to totally cull but you should start selectively culling and strive to select animals that thrive on what you have to offer.

If I were having to take a feed bill loss on the whole bunch, I'd cull the whole bunch and start over. If a drought hits, cattle prices hit rock bottom, hay prices and feed prices go through the ceiling. You can go bankrupt overnight. If you are running marginal in good times, you are going to be deep in the hole during the bad.

This is all simply my opinion and it gets debated over and over. What works for me does not work for everyone else and for folks in other climates. If I can't make a few nickels on cattle, I'd get out completely and just sell hay.

mwj":2qh175ff said:
For the people that say sell and cut your losses, what do you think these thin cows will bring?

Not much, but that will still be a damn sight more than it will cost me to supplement them for 7 months trying to raise a good calf.

I would bet that I could buy some inputs cheaper than the hit I would take for selling cows in poor shape.

In your area, that is probably true. It is not true in my area. About all that is available around here is hay and grain.

chadreed88":3u2j5ngh said:
This time of year you are fighting an up hill battle. They should have been in good shape before calving. It is normal for cattle to go down hill a bit while nursing a calf. It is my understanding that your area had ample rain this past summer to produce adequate forage. If this is true then you are either over stocked, have poor quality forage the wrong genetics or a combination of all. If your cattle came into winter in good condition then you are not feeding enough, have poor quality feed, the wrong genetics, or the combination of some or all.
Re-evaluate the entire operation starting at square 1, the grass, then move on up the line including management.

Latest posts