Feed

Help Support CattleToday:

bsr

Reaction score
Right now my current mix is shrimpmill,12% sweet feed,cracked corn,citrus pellets,beet pulp,and baked donuts.Does anyone know how much protein and fat is in this feed.

I mix it into 55 gallon drums.I put 75 pounds of shrimpmill,25 pounds of12% sweet feed,10 pounds of cracked corn,15 pounds of citrus pellets,15 pounds of donuts/bakeries,15 pounds of beet pulp

bsr":y8ubsz4d said:
I mix it into 55 gallon drums.I put 75 pounds of shrimpmill,25 pounds of12% sweet feed,10 pounds of cracked corn,15 pounds of citrus pellets,15 pounds of donuts/bakeries,15 pounds of beet pulp

:shock: :shock: :shock:
Are you sure you didn't miss something??

Reminds me of the mixture some people use in haystack??? However can't answer your question.

I didn't run the figures- but it sure strikes me that you are working yourself to death with so many repetitive type ingredients.
For instance beet pulp AND citrus pulp too
Sweet feed AND all the other stuff too

I've never heard of shrimpmill and couldn't find anything on the web about it- so can't be of much help.

I've never heard of shrimpmill and couldn't find anything on the web about it

No wonder. :lol:

It's "SHRIMP MEAL".

It's just dried, ground up shrimp that are inedible for humans.

What is this feed used for? And why would you mix so many ingrediants at those exaxt numbers with out knowing what the out come would be?

Seems there should be a lot more simple mixture unless you have some super secret ration with purpose like show calves etc.....

bsr":37wgnzam said:
Right now my current mix is shrimpmill,12% sweet feed,cracked corn,citrus pellets,beet pulp,and baked donuts.Does anyone know how much protein and fat is in this feed.
:help: :help: :help:
Police cattle :lol: :lol:

I couldn't find much on shrimp meal either (Hee hee I had "Shrimp Mill Run" on the brain-never occurred to think of "Meal")

There was one broiler feed trial
Its maximum usage was put at 4%
Poor amino acid profile and little energy

- I know cattle can utilize feedstuffs better than chickens
but
I sure hope you aren't paying much for it- and I would get it tested (with an available protein value given).
Really makes me wonder cause its used as a MINOR ingredient in fish foods and cat foods- that means its either real expensive or they just want to be able to say it was made with SHRIMP but didn't want any cats or fish starving to death while eating lots of it.

Angus/Brangus":riloqx75 said:
bsr":riloqx75 said:

Beet pulp???? What are they? That red suff that runs around your plate??? Nasty.

You might want to google beet pulp before you make this type of statement in the future. Beet pulp has a protein level of around 8-10%, helps cattle convert forage more efficiently(sp?), as well as encouraging them to eat more.

Angus/Brangus":2a6bn7zk said:
Beet pulp???? What are they? That red suff that runs around your plate???

There's beet pulp then there is beet pulp. Sugar beet pulp is a pretty common commodity in areas where they are grown for sugar production.

Now thats a different horse-- if its just breading batter or flour batter.
your mix is pretty short on protein if theres no/few shrimp pieces in it.
And if its already been thru a fryer you may have too much oil(which depresses digestion of everything else)
If it is mostly wheat- you may be feeding too much of it too(along with the donuts).

You really need an analysis- you have some interesting ingredients but they need some fine tuning.
Contact your ag extension agent.

Latest posts