feed suggestions/ show cattle

Help Support CattleToday:

mystery74

Reaction score
i am a 4h mom who is having trouble with getting some nice thick fur on my daughters beef steers and making them look good, for 3 years now each year she stays consistant on third place, now last year in dairy beef she had a first place on her brown swiss, they were each fed the same feed just different results, is there any suggestions ? we worked on them and walked them everyday also so that wasnt the problem, but every year she gets told her fur is to thin also

jkwilson":2p750euv said:
Cold air and genetics is about all you can do. Make sure they are wormed more often than regular cattle too.
I have heard the theory on cold air just not plausible for us, wish i could, maybe if i entered into the "big" shows yes i would invest in that but for the county fair, I was just hoping for maybe a good feed, I heard something about showbloom, from sylvan, I heard putting cottonhull seed? in feed would help. beet juice? all seem alittle far fetched to me, but i am still looking for opinions , thank you for yours, I wish we had the choice of buying our beef steers, other then drawing them from a lottery but they said it makes it fair

Mystery, you would probably get much more help by posting this on the show board.

Cold air with mister is the best thing. Look around and you can find a cheap fan. We just bought 2 chicken house fans last week for $40 a piece -- add a mister for $20 and you're in business. Works good for a shop fan after the show thing is over.

As for feed, I haven't heard of much that would change the hair coat. I'm sure there are some additives that would help. Try Sullivans or Hamm show supply. Both have excellent websites. I like Hamm's the best, but Sullivan's probably has a larger selection.

The best way I've found to grow hair is: "Keep your cattle cool." Just like when we're cold we dress warmer, you calf will grow more hair. My cattle stay in front on the fans year round. I use a "Cool Collar" on hot days, and rinse them at least twice a day. (more often on hot days) When rinsing you need to run the water on them for at least 10min per time. Just wetting the cattle down isn't going to do a bit of good. Misting systems work very well during the summer months. Feed isn't going to grow you hair, although, you do need good nutrition to grow healthy hair. "Miracle products" that claim to grow hair, don't work. The only "miracle product" I've found that works is a water hose, brush, and elbow grease. My experience: "Showing cattle isn't cheep, whether 4-H or Jr. Nationals. If you're going to show, do it well and win." Good Luck! ;-) ;-)

Latest posts