In the Feeding a winner on nalf.org, they have this ration
Heifer and bull ration #2 Feed % by Weight*
Crimped oats 48.0
Rolled or crimped barley 41.0
Protein pellets (32%) 10.0
Salt/Mineral .6
Additives .4

adds up to 100lbs.

So the real question is, what are protein pellets, will the coop know what i am talking about if i tell them 32% protein pellets?

and what mineral, do you mix in? do you mix the salt and mineral in or could you leave that to the side free choice?

Additives?? what works for this kind of ration they say vita-farm, or aueromyicin (sp) what works best?

Sounds like that feed ration (like many others) is designed for "feeding out" calves to gain weight for finishing, slaughter, or whatever.

Given a "good" hay of 10-12% protein when grass is sparse or dormant, plus a well balanced mineral tub formulated for your geographic area, plain salt, and clean water, there is not much more "pasture" cattle need. If one's hay is marginal in CP, then the use of "pellets" (high CP% alfalfa pellets?) or 20% range cubes can be used to supplement protein (and/or "gentle" cattle for easier handling). Might also need some "bagged feed" for specialty feeding supplement (in moderation) for pregnant females (last 2 months thru 1st 3 months after calving), or for weaned calves (for a limited time).

With marginal hay quality (less than 8% CP) and/or dormant grass...yes...protein supplements are needed to maintain their body condition, health, etc.

The feeding of "grain" (corn, oats, high protein/fat products, etc.) supplements is not always necessary unless one is trying to "finish" out animals to ready for slaughter, or put on extra weight before taking to Sale Barn.

i am putting weight on my heifer, because i am going to show her, but i think she should be on more than hay and minerals.

Latest posts