Ya too much fat for me.
Stocker Steve said:
Yellow is OK but too much fat for me.
Not a Jersey or Guernsey fan.

Too much fat in my pictures?
I thought it lacked marbling myself.
Not dairy.
She was a 3 yr old chi-angus.

Marbling is good, fat is bad. That just just looks like fat, not marbling, you are correct.

Brute 23 said:
MurraysMutts said:
Brute 23 said:
Ya too much fat for me.
Stocker Steve said:
Yellow is OK but too much fat for me.
Not a Jersey or Guernsey fan.

Too much fat in my pictures?
I thought it lacked marbling myself.
Not dairy.
She was a 3 yr old chi-angus.

Marbling is good, fat is bad. That just just looks like fat, not marbling, you are correct.

That's because she wasnt young enough huh?
Imo the feed she was given was wasted. Too old to utilize it. Like I said, won't be doing this again. Lol
I'll be feeding the next one myself. Plan on starting this fall....

I will have something to this conversation here in a few weeks. 7 y/o red angus on heavy feed the last 30 days before butcher. I will post a pic of steaks.

Brute 23 said:
Does feeding them for 30 days make that much of a difference? My understanding is to really achieve any results on marbling you have to start when they are young and may be feeding them out for like 6-12 months?
Depends a lot on the initial condition and the genetics. I pail fed corn to four for forty five days this spring. They were all in good condition at the start. One was smaller framed, filled out like a balloon, and was obviously finished. The other three not so much.

Although both are made of the same polymer Fat and Marbling are two different things, imo. Fine Marbling within the muscle is the goal to produce a prime carcass. Back fat will indeed make the animal appear fat. Marbling informs the meat grade, whereas Fat informs "yield".

The science says that marbling begins early in an animals life.

When you say early, how early ?

And, I guess the question is begging, although tradition may be to have all this fat, would it not be better in fact if it was leaner & only fat where you can cut it off.

I mean, beasts would not have been pen bound hogging down the chow a century ago & maybe there was less health problems then ? Of course, if you go out for a special occasion, maybe the meat can be fat laden, but if you eat often ....

I am sure there are studies....

The first animal we did, a few years ago, was fairly young. He only weighed about 750. And that was after feed for a few months. He did not do well. Would've been great burger. Very very lean and the steaks were not tender. Edible but not a pleasant eating experience.

I think u have to have a good animal that converts feed to intramuscular fat, fed at the right time. Weather that be age wise or size wise. They dont all grow the same. Lol

The last one we had done, did pretty good.
Evidently we got it just right.
This one was way too old to put on feed IMO.
Just a waste of feed. Or maybe not...
I've heard tell, the feed for a few weeks can help with flavor coming off grass.
This one is not terrible. Just not what I was expecting.

I do eat a lot of steak.
First time I gave blood, they took a sample, and about freaked out. They asked me if i eat a lot of red meat.
I said, you ain't from around here are you??? Lmao

greggy said:

And, I guess the question is begging, although tradition may be to have all this fat, would it not be better in fact if it was leaner & only fat where you can cut it off.

I mean, beasts would not have been pen bound hogging down the chow a century ago & maybe there was less health problems then ? Of course, if you go out for a special occasion, maybe the meat can be fat laden, but if you eat often ....

There are. So marbling is actually good for you... fat is not.

The studies I saw show you can see a noticeable marbling differences in calves that are creep fed corn rations while still on their mothers.

They are using ultrasound to see when animals have reached maximum marbling but before they start piling on fat. These big butterball fat animals are actually nothing more than a bunch of wasted money thrown on the animal.

Again, I'm just now getting in to this aspect of cattle. This is what I have been told and seen in the studies. Closer to the end of the year I'll actually be able to see the meat.

There must be a difference in grass. We usually eat a dry 2 1/2 year old that come off the range fat and never sees a pail of grain. The fat is white as can be. I know older cows get yellow fat, that's why guys buy sale barn cows and put them on grain for a few weeks to turn the fat white and get a better grade on the rail.

Brute 23 said:
greggy said:

The studies I saw show you can see a noticeable marbling differences in calves that are creep fed corn rations while still on their mothers.

They are using ultrasound to see when animals have reached maximum marbling but before they start piling on fat. These big butterball fat animals are actually nothing more than a bunch of wasted money thrown on the animal.

Again, I'm just now getting in to this aspect of cattle. This is what I have been told and seen in the studies. Closer to the end of the year I'll actually be able to see the meat.

The one ur feeding, was it fed while still on mama?
Whatcha feeding now?
Curiosity and all... lol

Silver said:
There must be a difference in grass. We usually eat a dry 2 1/2 year old that come off the range fat and never sees a pail of grain. The fat is white as can be. I know older cows get yellow fat, that's why guys buy sale barn cows and put them on grain for a few weeks to turn the fat white and get a better grade on the rail.

This heifer was about 3. I say that because the place she was raised didnt have exact date of birth.
I'll post a couple pics in good light next ones I thaw.

MurraysMutts said:
Brute 23 said:
greggy said:

The one ur feeding, was it fed while still on mama?
Whatcha feeding now?
Curiosity and all... lol

Got a handful of yearlings in the feedlot now that went as yearling. We have a batch on the ground that will go after being weaned. We have another batch in the oven with same breeding that we are going to try to creep.

Our goal is to have a variety to compare against. Yearlings vs weanlings vs creep weanlings. Goal is to produce high end steaks... not hamburger.

That's what I'm talkin' bout!
Who wants burger when ya can have a good quality steak?
My next one is the 100 dollar steer I got a while back. Havnt decided, but i may just burger him. Part of me wants to feed him and see how it turns out. But I can always share burger w the fam too

MurraysMutts said:
That's what I'm talkin' bout!
Who wants burger when ya can have a good quality steak?
My next one is the 100 dollar steer I got a while back. Havnt decided, but i may just burger him. Part of me wants to feed him and see how it turns out. But I can always share burger w the fam too

My family keeps a couple bulls in a trap year round for butcher. The make basically hamburger and a few cutlets for the family. They are just on grass for the year to year and a half before they get butchered. Once or twice we tried to put a little feed to them before they got butchered and I never tasted any difference... just a bigger feed bill and more work. With that said they were always fat and sassy just on grass.

Brute 23 said:
MurraysMutts said:
Had a T-bone tonight.
Wife pan fried it. Was ready when I got in.

It was NOT yum!
The filet was ok.

Pan frying steaks should be the 11th commandment.

XI Thou shalt not waste good meat on frying pans or pellet grills

Yeah. Part of it was the meat itself. Pretty tough ol strip side. But since I've been using using charcoal for years now, pan fried just ain't good for steaks any more.

Latest posts