Feed opinion

Help Support CattleToday:

The ribeye is still in plastic.
The tbone got marinated b4 I could get a pic but here it is. Wife is hungry.... lol
I'll know more in a couple hours.......
Stay tuned

That's a full sized cookie sheet btw
The fat may have a slight tinge of yellow.

This is fun!

Hoping more people drop by and check this post out b4 I spill the beans on this. I know theres lots of folks with well trained eyes out there. I know pics could be better. Sorry...

re yellow colour...

yes...Jersey supposed to be yellowy, and that is why not sold for meat, but the meat is supposed to be good.

also feeding cattle or sheep carrots will do this :) They love carrots, so only feed your breeders/keepers

MurraysMutts said:
This is fun!

Hoping more people drop by and check this post out b4 I spill the beans on this. I know theres lots of folks with well trained eyes out there. I know pics could be better. Sorry...

Not fun for me, I am hungry now & no invite !

Looking at those steaks made me hungry so I just cooked and ate my last steak. Satisfied now but sad that there is no more steak in the freezer.

So it's a long long story but this is not my animal.
We took 3 beef in for an appointment that was scheduled way back.
My beef was supposed to be the one fed for 4 months.

Long story short, this animal was a 3 year old heifer that would not breed. So 3 years of grass. She was allowed access to feed for about 3 weeks up til butcher day. She was a large chi-angus. 1500 or so lbs

I won't get into how this happened but I'm not terrible happy about the situation.

That being said, it was a pleasant eating experience. She was a pretty laid back heifer. Cool and calm. So I guess the finish is what most would call grass fed. Not quite as tender as I would like but definitely enjoyable. We cooked 2 ribeyes, 2 T bones, 2 filets. The filets were very nice. The ribeye and strip side could have been better, not terrible tender, but I've definitely had a lot lot worse.

Thanks for eyeballs folks.
I too thought the fat was a dead give away!

sstterry said:
If she was only on grain for the last 3 weeks, I am surprised at the marbling.
As to the Jersey meat, I know people that will only order a beef/jersey cross for slaughter.
Best beef I've ever had was an Angus/Jersey. Hands down. Yes the fat was a little yellow, but the flavor was rich. Fork cut steaks, hamburger was better than 3/4 of the steaks I've eaten in my life.

I've not had proper grass finished beef. I'm of the opinion this seems to be good grass finished beef.
The taste is a bit different. Not bad. Just different. Cant even explain it. Would definitely like it to be more tender!
I cant help but wonder how my 4 month grain fed beef turned out. Stuck with this one, so I'll make the best of it. Wont happen again, I'll guarantee that!!

Sure I've had some beef taken way too early. It was not finished, grass or otherwise. And it was terrible! Should have all been burger.

BFE said:
sstterry said:
If she was only on grain for the last 3 weeks, I am surprised at the marbling.
As to the Jersey meat, I know people that will only order a beef/jersey cross for slaughter.
Best beef I've ever had was an Angus/Jersey. Hands down. Yes the fat was a little yellow, but the flavor was rich. Fork cut steaks, hamburger was better than 3/4 of the steaks I've eaten in my life.

Jersey's milk at a much higher butterfat than other breeds. That may be the reason they are able to develop more fat in the carcass.

Latest posts