Feed opinion

Help Support CattleToday:

My parents grabbed some steaks from the grocery store the other day that were labeled ribeyes. I questioned if it was even beef. You could barely cut the outside and it tasted funky. We chunked them.

They are peddling some real junk right now.

We've been eating rib steaks cut out of the two corrientes roping steers we butchered ourselves. Cut a quarter inch thick and worked over with the hammer. Seared in a cast iron and a couple of fried eggs makes for a breakfast worth getting up for.

MurraysMutts said:
BigBear56 said:
I will have something to this conversation here in a few weeks. 7 y/o red angus on heavy feed the last 30 days before butcher. I will post a pic of steaks.

Very nice. Please do post pics!

7 year old angus cow. On heavy feed for the last 30 days before slaughter. I'm impressed

BigBear56 said:
MurraysMutts said:
BigBear56 said:
I will have something to this conversation here in a few weeks. 7 y/o red angus on heavy feed the last 30 days before butcher. I will post a pic of steaks.

7 year old angus cow. On heavy feed for the last 30 days before slaughter. I'm impressed

How does the meat taste and can you tell any difference between say an 18-24 month old steer? And, what was your fed ration, just corn or some mix?

BigBear56 said:
MurraysMutts said:
BigBear56 said:

Yeah...
What he said!

They do appear tasty. Let us know how they turned out? Tenderness?
Gonna grill em?

[/quote]
How does the meat taste and can you tell any difference between say an 18-24 month old steer? And, what was your fed ration, just corn or some mix?
[/quote]

That too...

sstterry said:
BigBear56 said:
MurraysMutts said:

Slightly tougher than a fat steer. Ever so slightly. But still a great steak. She didn't get them out in time so I had to grill em half frozen which I absolutely hate to do.

The cow was on my normal feed ration. Cracked corn, purina steak maker pellets, silenium. 16% CP. I worked her up to all she would eat and 3 flakes of hay per day. She was a fatty to begin with :lol2:

Here's a better pic of the thawed sides

BigBear56 said:
sstterry said:
BigBear56 said:

Slightly tougher than a fat steer. Ever so slightly. But still a great steak. She didn't get them out in time so I had to grill em half frozen which I absolutely hate to do.

The cow was on my normal feed ration. Cracked corn, purina steak maker pellets, silenium. 16% CP. I worked her up to all she would eat and 3 flakes of hay per day. She was a fatty to begin with :lol2:

Use a microwave first....great for that use...

greggy said:
BigBear56 said:
sstterry said:

Oh h e l l to the NO!

greggy said:
BigBear56 said:
sstterry said:

Oh greggy.....
I know u didnt just say use a microwave!
:shock: :shock: :shock:

Only nongs use a microwave on real steaks.... :tiphat:

greggy said:
Microwave too THAW

Not cook.....

Settle guys.....

BAH HAHAHAHAHAHA!

Just giving ya a good ribbing greggy. Lol

But seriously. I cant stand the smell of a microwaved beef anything. Gotta be very careful with that nonsense. Preparation is key....

Cant seem to get a pic b4 seasoning. But the fat isnt as yellow as my first pictures. I bet they taste good tonight. The filets have very little marbling, but are still tender. Not sure how I got t bones and filets.....

MurraysMutts said:
greggy said:
Microwave too THAW

Not cook.....

Settle guys.....

BAH HAHAHAHAHAHA!

Just giving ya a good ribbing greggy. Lol

But seriously. I cant stand the smell of a microwaved beef anything. Gotta be very careful with that nonsense. Preparation is key....

Yeah, you make sure you do not start cooking it.....

Low power and short bursts.....with periods of standing.....

I would love to take credit for the quality of those ribeyes but I'm sure genetics are cont trolling that more than my feed ration

I typically let my steaks get to room temp before grilling and you can usually almost cut them with a fork. Only way to do steaks!

I got thru about half of it. Was pretty ok!
The next one will be going to a different butcher. They really really messed this one up. I got stuff that was supposed to be burger. T-bones and filets. Really really weird. I know they busy because of the "crisis", but theres really no excuse...

Latest posts