Feed Efficiency

Help Support CattleToday:

She will ignore this for a few days, making us think she isn't watching, then pop up on another subject sounding like the expert.

Now that has has seen me, she might jump in for a good rousing.

We don't cut any bull calves. We send the majority of them to test, if they don't test up to our standards, are infertile, unsound, whatever, we take off the ear tags and haul them to the sale barn....another generic black bull.

In other words, she hides the identity of who she is. Too bad she doesn't live in a state where ID is evident with a brand on the hide. But, she'd rather risk getting a dock for selling an intact bull with the prize of getting a few bucks extra for her generic black bulls instead of selling an OK black steer. So, her generic black bull brings her $800 and the steer would have only brought her $750. Got to love that ethic.

mtnman

Quality Cattle":2z1s4zfn said:
Frankie":2z1s4zfn said:
They go to the sale barn, like thousands of other animals. Some are worth buying and using as breeding stock, some aren't. There are no gurantees at the sale barn. The bulls we sell with our name on them have a breeding gurantee for a year. The bulls we cull will be better than some bulls sold in production sales by the big guys.

Out of your total bull production last year what percent made the test and what percent went to the sale barn?

Every bull born on this place in 2005 was sold to a commercial cattlemen as a breeding bull. We're not doing as well on the 2006-born bulls. We deal with individual bulls, not percentages.

What was your total bull numbers last year?

None of your business.

You may be impressed that someone cuts the "bottom" 40% of their bull calf crop and sells them as steers. IMO, if they do that on a yearly basis, they need to look at culling some cows and changing their breeding program.

mtnman":3o5xmrbr said:
She will ignore this for a few days, making us think she isn't watching, then pop up on another subject sounding like the expert.

Now that has has seen me, she might jump in for a good rousing.

We don't cut any bull calves. We send the majority of them to test, if they don't test up to our standards, are infertile, unsound, whatever, we take off the ear tags and haul them to the sale barn....another generic black bull.

In other words, she hides the identity of who she is. Too bad she doesn't live in a state where ID is evident with a brand on the hide. But, she'd rather risk getting a dock for selling an intact bull with the prize of getting a few bucks extra for her generic black bulls instead of selling an OK black steer. So, her generic black bull brings her $800 and the steer would have only brought her $750. Got to love that ethic.

mtnman

The guys at the sale barn know who we are and why an animal is there. If they want to pass that info on, it's ok with me. We guarantee the bulls we sell as breeders; not the ones that go to the sale barn. You're so worried about sorry animals being sold at the sale barn, I can only assume that's where you buy your breeding stock. Good luck with that. :roll:

Frankie,

You had 4 bulls tested at OBI from the 2005 crop, but 2 of them were "out" of the sale.

You had 4 bulls tested at OBI from the 2004 crop, but 2 of them were also "out" of the sale.

So, in the 2005 bulls, what happened at OBI to take them out of the sale, but allowed them to be sold to commercial breeders?

It looks like you registered 4 bulls and 2 cows from the 2006 crop.

Badlands

Badlands":1lwvbvms said:
Frankie,

You had 4 bulls tested at OBI from the 2005 crop, but 2 of them were "out" of the sale.

You had 4 bulls tested at OBI from the 2004 crop, but 2 of them were also "out" of the sale.

So, in the 2005 bulls, what happened at OBI to take them out of the sale, but allowed them to be sold to commercial breeders?

Nothing happened to them at OBI. We sold some of the bulls here at home instead of taking them to the sale. Depending on their test index and the local demand for bulls, sometimes it's more profitable to not run them through the ring. Plus we have some people who come back for our bulls when they need one. They don't buy every year, so when they do come by, we try to accomodate them.

It looks like you registered 4 bulls and 2 cows from the 2006 crop.

Badlands

You think so?

Frankie":2u8e65qf said:
You may be impressed that someone cuts the "bottom" 40% of their bull calf crop and sells them as steers. IMO, if they do that on a yearly basis, they need to look at culling some cows and changing their breeding program.

Frankie every time a sperm is created there are mutations in genes, genes cross over to different chromosomes, recessives are expressed and the same thing happens with the process of making every egg. Each embryo produced by a pair of animals is a unique individual. By a sheer biological roll of the dice, half of the offspring are going to be as good or better than the average of the parents. Eventually, some individuals will be significantly better than their parents. Likewise half are going to be the same or worse than the average of the parents......some significantly worse. A breeder who cuts the bottom 20 to 40% of his male calf crop recognizes this inescapable fact and is making every good faith effort possible to deliver cattle to his buyers that are as good or better than the genetics he himself has retained and/or purchased.

Anyone who goes to sale barns looking for breeding stock, well not a smart move..Now if the salebarn is have a breeding stock sale, that is different...But for you guys giving people a hard time over getting rid of there cull, by removing a tag and saleing them at a sale barn (GET OVER IT ) ...

alftn":11kp5i2o said:
Anyone who goes to sale barns looking for breeding stock, well not a smart move..Now if the salebarn is have a breeding stock sale, that is different...But for you guys giving people a hard time over getting rid of there cull, by removing a tag and saleing them at a sale barn (GET OVER IT ) ...

I have to agree with you there. The stockyard is "damaged goods". Sure some smart people can find buys there and you CAN assemble very nice sets of unifrom heifers from out of the fall runs; but anybody who buys a breeding bull (especially a young bull) out of the bologna bulls pen, without knowing the pedigree, the reason he is in the pen, or even the ranch from which he came is STUPID. I am pretty sure that Frankie's worst bull will improve THAT persons herd.

I agree with a lot of what has been said on this thread, and I disagree with a lot. I mostly apreciate the fact that the people on these boards are concerned about what they are breeding.
I may be wrong on this but I have found that most people in the cattle business are still doing it on a pot luck basis. Buying bulls from the neighbor with no background history, just should make a good bull attitude. The same people buy bulls and replacement heifers at the stockyard. The culls from good breeders are the only way this type of buyer has a chance of attaining even a small degree of good genetics.

Quality Cattle":1pp7h5x0 said:
Frankie":1pp7h5x0 said:
Quality Cattle":1pp7h5x0 said:
Frankie":1pp7h5x0 said:
They go to the sale barn, like thousands of other animals. Some are worth buying and using as breeding stock, some aren't. There are no gurantees at the sale barn. The bulls we sell with our name on them have a breeding gurantee for a year. The bulls we cull will be better than some bulls sold in production sales by the big guys.

Out of your total bull production last year what percent made the test and what percent went to the sale barn?

Every bull born on this place in 2005 was sold to a commercial cattlemen as a breeding bull. We're not doing as well on the 2006-born bulls. We deal with individual bulls, not percentages.

What was your total bull numbers last year?

None of your business.

Little testy my my my. The know it all who cant tell all.

I could tell all. I could give you my bank account number. But they're none of your business. It's personal information that I don't want on the net. And I'm going to look hard at where Badlands got info on ANY of my Angus registrations. I have a pretty good idea.....

Angus registrations aren't public info searchable by breeder prefix?

Ours are. How does that equate to a bank account number?

Mike C,

YEs the registrations are public information, you just have to know what Frankie is using as a prefix. The Angus Association does not require any prefix at the beginning of the registered name. (Unlike the Limo Association used to).

How do you like the weather, I hope this is not the start of a dry spring/summer like last year.

Scott

jscunn":2pduxg6s said:
Mike C,

YEs the registrations are public information, you just have to know what Frankie is using as a prefix. The Angus Association does not require any prefix at the beginning of the registered name. (Unlike the Limo Association used to).

How do you like the weather, I hope this is not the start of a dry spring/summer like last year.

Scott

Was listening to the weather radio while in the tractor yesterday. We're already have about a 7 inch rain deficit for the year. Don't look good in the 90 day outlook either.

My ryegrass and clover is in the "Wilt" stage. :lol:

The numbers at Mid State are picking up because of drought.

Looks like ol Frankie is exposed for the small time angus breeder she is. How many cows ya got Frankie? Probably not enough to be holding yourself out to be such an expert when your not.

Here are some facts you need to digest:

1. Some angus are good cattle
2. Angus aren't the only good cattle
3. Crossbreeding is the BEST route for a commercial cattleman

And a question: What kind of breeder wants to keep their cattle a secret? You must be pretty darned embarrassed of them!!

N.Tex get off Frankie, I have met people with 20 cows that thought they knew everything,(and were pretty sharp)...I have met owner of a 1000 cow that did not know squat....

Does the number of cattle that Frankie owns really show how much is possible for her to know about cattle and the cattle industry? I don't agree with everything Frankie says, but come on

The number of cows a person owns does not reflect their knowledge of the industry.

Their experience does.

Badlands

Does this mean Frankie's "Ambassador" status for CAB is over?

I would hate to see it end because of all the good times we've had in the past. :D

MikeC":b97q1khs said:
Does this mean Frankie's "Ambassador" status for CAB is over?

I would hate to see it end because of all the good times we've had in the past. :D

Don't fret; I'm still here.

Quality Cattle":3npehy0j said:
One would think with all the constant barage from frankie about their bulls on test the number is awsome and we have some big time breeder posting.

Seen where frankie posted here while back that their bull sales was way off does that mean they have sold one or none.

If the numbers are revealed then she cant be considered a big cattle woman {by the numbers she owns}

You don't see a constant barrage from me about anything. I've always said we had a small Angus herd. How many is none of your business.

Latest posts