Feed Efficiency

Help Support CattleToday:

jnowack

Reaction score
Feed Efficiency—The Best Way to Cope with $4.00 Corn
By Wayne Vanderwert, American Gelbvieh Association Executive Director
According to recent reports, current corn ending stocks are at their second lowest level in 45 years. Higher corn prices have had an immediate and major impact on feeder cattle prices. There is speculation that we're in this for the long haul; in other words, we can expect feed costs to be at a higher plateau for years to come.
The environment we work in has changed. It always has been the size of the corn crop, livestock numbers and the export markets that pretty much dictated the corn price. Now crude oil prices will be one of the factors we'll watch closely as the country finds an economic equilibrium between oil and ethanol in the years to come.
The most recent Cattle on Feed report indicates a shift toward placements in the north and fewer in the south as proximity to ethanol plants impacts cost of gains.
Years ago I heard cattle people say that high corn prices meant high cattle prices, that cheap feed wasn't necessarily good for the cattle industry. I always had to scratch my head on that one, as that statement seemed to fly in the face of common sense.
Thinking about it, there is some truth in this old adage. First, high grain prices offer the greatest incentive for feedlots to stay current. One only needs to look at the graphs of average carcass weights and the increase in Yield Grade 3s and 4s in recent years to figure out that we've come through a period of relatively cheap corn. Fed cattle prices have been higher than the cost to add a few extra pounds. Feedlots responded, increasing the tonnage on the market, which in-turn provided packers with an excuse to beat-up feeders in the marketplace.
High corn prices also put more pressure on competitive meat production, pork and poultry. Cattle have an advantage, we can fall back to increasing forage utilization and shorten the dependence on grain, but you can't run the chicken flock on wheat pasture.
Beef and dairy cattle also can utilize the distiller's byproducts from ethanol production, wet or dry. There are greater limitations, even using the dry product, for hogs and broilers. The biggest obstacle is that the amino acid profile of the distiller's product is so similar to that of the protein in corn that it does not serve as a good protein supplement for non-ruminants.
Within beef breeds there are differences in feed efficiency that will become increasingly important in this environment. Just as consumers have readily moved away from the gas-guzzling SUV, feeders will no doubt seek the breeds and breed combinations that are going to feed more cheaply, and convert better than the "corn-guzzlers" that have been popular recently. All of this makes the case for Gelbvieh influence and the documented advantages we've always touted for SmartCross cattle.
Meat Animal Research Center data, as well as research at many universities, support the theory that the leaner, growth breeds, including Gelbvieh, have the edge in feed efficiency. British breeds deposit more fat; energy-wise that comes with a high price tag.
Data from the Gelbvieh Alliance clearly shows the advantages of combining Gelbvieh and British breeds, Angus or Hereford, in a designed crossbreeding program. This data was the basis for the development of the SmartCross system and our promotion of the Gelbvieh breed as a component in crossbreeding.
The Alliance data, real-life data on thousands of cattle fed in major feed yards, provides proof that cattle that are 25 to 50 percent Gelbvieh with the remainder British, excel with higher average daily gains and better feed conversion rates than straight bred British cattle. This equates to substantially lower costs of gain—more important in this new feed cost environment.
Coincidentally that same mix of Gelbvieh and Angus provides the right combination of desirable yield grade and quality grade. Combine that with the cost of gain advantage and you have the best recipe for profitability in this situation.
At its recent Outlook Seminar, Cattle-Fax built a compelling argument that higher feed costs are not a short-term phenomenon. Crossbreeding with Gelbvieh makes sense for a number of reasons: it pays dividends for commercial producers over the long haul; cows with more productivity; feeder calves with more value; and fed cattle that hit the target.
Wayne Vanderwert is the Executive Director of the American Gelbvieh Association. He can be reached at 303-465-2333 or via email at [email protected]
--AGA--

That's good info, though I am not sure that anything put out by a breed director can be taken as the full truth. The AHA has done a lot of research showing how much less it takes to feed out herefords or hereford crosses than other steers in feed yards. Not saying that either information is false, but every breed is going to do tests that make their breeds look the best they can.

oakcreekfarms":2y5r3ps7 said:
every breed is going to do tests that make their breeds look the best they can.

Agree. Any research done by an organization promoting an agenda or a product (such as a beef breed) needs to be looked at closely. In the above article, it states that the MARC research shows that the "leaner, growth breeds" have the edge in feed efficiency. This could be any number of breeds, not just Gelbvieh. Not knocking Gelbvieh, but any information put out by a breed association needs to be taken with a grain of salt.

The difference here is that they say that CROSSBRED cattle are the ticket, and give credence to the other component, rather than promoting straightbreeding. They don't claim that their breed does it better by itself.

Badlands

Badlands":3fdx2g2i said:
The difference here is that they say that CROSSBRED cattle are the ticket, and give credence to the other component, rather than promoting straightbreeding. They don't claim that their breed does it better by itself.

Badlands

Can you link me to research showing that crossbred animals are more efficient in the feedlot than straightbred cattle (Angus)? I've asked that question many times to different people and they all assure me it's true, yet none of them have ever followed through with actual documentation. We just had a straightbred Angus bull come off a 112 day test with an ADG of 6.21 lbs per day. He's our first 6 lb gainer, but it's not unusual any more to see one on a test. Thank you for your help.

Frankie":1rfctri8 said:
Badlands":1rfctri8 said:

Badlands

Can you link me to research showing that crossbred animals are more efficient in the feedlot than straightbred cattle (Angus)? I've asked that question many times to different people and they all assure me it's true, yet none of them have ever followed through with actual documentation. We just had a straightbred Angus bull come off a 112 day test with an ADG of 6.21 lbs per day. He's our first 6 lb gainer, but it's not unusual any more to see one on a test. Thank you for your help.
I'm almost certain you could get any bull to test with a ADG of above 6 lbs if you picked the right 112 days.

Frankie":38k1untz said:
Badlands":38k1untz said:

Badlands

I would be interested in how good the feed conversion was on your 6.21# gainer.

Frankie":2vzvnjp5 said:

That's impressive, but they were talking about feed efficiency, not gain. Surely you know the difference.

I would be interested in how good the feed conversion was on your 6.21# gainer.

Maybe Badlands can use the CVDS and compute his Efficiency?

Is that possible to do? with hip measurements and ultrasound data and ration info?

6.21 ADG is excellent. Bet he put on some serious pounds the first 28 days!
The North Alabama Bull test has had several finish above 6.
There was a calf there a few years ago that gained over 9 lbs. per day for the first 56 days. He wound up around 6.75 ADG. This was summer/fall too.

Wish we could test bulls in cooler weather with more corn.

somn":2l05k3la said:
Frankie":2l05k3la said:
Badlands":2l05k3la said:

Badlands

I'm almost certain you could get any bull to test with a ADG of above 6 lbs if you picked the right 112 days.
I don't know if I would go that far. 700lbs in less than 4 mo. is impressive. He evidently likes the feed they serve there.

Frankie,

I don't have links, I have papers.

Go search through the reports at MARC.

Won't be as much about crossbreeding now as there used to be, but it will show breed and more specifically biological type differences.

Badlands

What is a breed?

by Roy Wallace and Harlan Ritchie

Jul 1, 2006 12:00 PM

What is a breed? Is there really such a thing as a purebred?

Let's begin by defining what a breed is. The late Hilton Briggs, the quintessential authority on breeds and author of the book, "Modern Breeds of Livestock," defined a breed as: "a group of animals that, as a result of breeding and selection, have certain distinguishable characteristics."

Briggs goes on to define a purebred animal as "an individual both of whose parents are duly registered in a Registry Association."

It's interesting to note that Briggs says nothing about "breed purity" or "percentage of blood" in either definition. If one delves back into livestock history, it can be concluded that very few populations of so-called "purebred" cattle existed. Rather, nearly all breeds were developed by combining various strains of cattle within a region into a generally agreed-upon type.

British breeds

The Shorthorn breed was created by selecting the best of the native, short-horned cattle in northeast England and infusing them with a small amount of Galloway blood. The Hereford breed was developed by infusing the native cattle of Herfordshire in southwest England with Flemish cattle imported from the low countries in Europe.

Shorthorn blood is reported to have been introduced into the Angus breed at an early stage of its existence. And the Red Poll breed originated in the English countries of Norfolk and Suffolk where some Galloway and Devon breeding eventually found its way into the breed.

As near as can be determined, two British breeds appear to have remained free of outside blood — Galloway and West (Scotch) Highland.

Galloway originated in southwest Scotland's Galloway province. When the Romans first populated England, cattle roamed the region's forests. These indigenous cattle became the progenitors of the Galloway. Today, Galloway are recognized as the oldest breed of beef cattle in the British Isles.

The West (Scotch) Highland originated in the rough, mountainous region of western Scotland. It's known these cattle were bred for centuries in the West Highland region. Consequently, it is nearly as old as the Galloway breed.

Continental breeds

Meanwhile, the first Charolais cattle in the U.S. didn't come directly from its mother country of France, but via Mexico in the 1930s. These cattle were then crossed with other breeds in the U.S. The same is true of the first Charolais to be imported from France through Canada in 1966.

The Charolais breed as it exists today in the U.S. is largely the result of a grading-up process. Charolais bulls of French descent were used on British cows, primarily Angus, Hereford and Shorthorn.

In the late 1960s and early '70s, a wave of bulls from other Continental breeds were brought into Canada and used in the grading-up process on British breeds of cows. The new breeds included Simmental, Limousin, Maine-Anjou, Salers, Chianina, Piedmontese, Belgian Blue, Romagnola, Marchigiana, Tarentaise and Normande.

After 4-5 generations of upgrading, these new breed associations registered the animals as purebreds. Obviously, there would still be a small amount of genetic material remaining from the base British cows.

Some final notes

A final note regarding the purity of the Continental breeds is in order. By the end of World War II, Europe was in total chaos, and cattle ran loose in many regions. As a result, a significant amount of interbreeding occurred.

It's also important to note that during a period of type change in the late 1960s and early '70s from overly small, fat cattle to growthier, leaner types, there was some unethical infusion of Holstein and Brown Swiss blood into the Angus breed, as well as Simmental blood into the Hereford breed. In some instances, such cattle were detected via blood-typing and removed from the herd book. In other instances, they weren't.

During the 1970s, the American Shorthorn Association established an appendix program in which it opened its herd book to Milking Shorthorn, Irish Shorthorn, Australian Illawara Shorthorn and Maine-Anjou blood. This served to enhance the performance and carcass composition of the breed.

Finally, we come full circle and return to the initial question, "Is there really such a thing as a purebred? The likely answer is, It all depends upon how you define "purebred."

Harlan Ritchie is a Michigan State University distinguished professor of animal science. Roy Wallace is Select Sires' vice president of beef programs. Both were named among honorees selected for the "BEEF Top 40" published in September 2004.

Frankie":1ucbg8fa said:
Badlands":1ucbg8fa said:

Badlands

Frankie-

I have read some of your requests for "documentation" regarding the efficacy of crossbreeding protocols, and notice that you couch your words carefully by specifying ". . .more efficient in the feedlot than straightbred cattle (Angus)", and you state that ". . . none of them have every followed through with actual documentation".

The "Documentation" regarding the advantages of crossbreeding systems are legion - so much so, in fact, that one could spend weeks researching facts to cite bilbliographical evidence attesting to the conclusive proof and data of substantive corroborative support for the effectiveness of crossbreeding operations. The academic material is voluminous, and the exercise to list them is unnecessary here inasmuch as a dedicated internet SEARCH will produce more material than you will be willing to dedicate the time in order to inform yourself of the legitimate axioms and accepted facts! But, to get you started, here a few "Talking Points".

I am impressed with your "straightbred" Angus Bull which just came off a 112 day test with 6.21 lbs per day gains! Remarkable! In light of the current thinking concerning our brood cows achieving too much mature weight, therefore accelerating the seemingly continuous increase in cow "size" and, accordingly, higher maintenance costs of heavier stock. That phase of the discussion is not in question. Heavier cows cost more to feed, house, pasture, et al. Concerning oneself with TOTAL expenses in operating a Beef Breeding establishment - it must be taken into consideration when planning a profitable endeavor, that increased heterosis by way of crossbreeding plans is ONE way of increasing the bottom line income. By using your 6.21 gainer as a Replacement Heifer producer - UP goes the cost factors in production protocols! Using that 6.21 gainer for producing Terminal FEEDLOT calves sounds interesting, with the exception of creating calving problems with a percentage of your cowherd - pulling calves, vet expenses, and killing cows, to name a few.

Just to keep the facts on the table.

httpp://wwwagonline.com/bullbarn/smartcross1.asp
http://www.extension.umn.edu/distributi ... 13926.html
https://intranet.nalf.org/horde/imp/vie ... aa80225c93

Enjoy!

DOC HARRIS

DOC HARRIS":53vxp0q9 said:
I have read some of your requests for "documentation" regarding the efficacy of crossbreeding protocols, and notice that you couch your words carefully by specifying ". . .more efficient in the feedlot than straightbred cattle (Angus)", and you state that ". . . none of them have every followed through with actual documentation".

I couch my words carefully because I want specific information. Apparently Badlands doesn't have it.

The "Documentation" regarding the advantages of crossbreeding systems are legion - so much so, in fact, that one could spend weeks researching facts to cite bilbliographical evidence attesting to the conclusive proof and data of substantive corroborative support for the effectiveness of crossbreeding operations. The academic material is voluminous, and the exercise to list them is unnecessary here inasmuch as a dedicated internet SEARCH will produce more material than you will be willing to dedicate the time in order to inform yourself of the legitimate axioms and accepted facts! But, to get you started, here a few "Talking Points".

I've done some searches. I've spoken with OSU professors and people from the Noble Foundation and now Badlands. They have all assured me that crossbred cattle gain faster (more efficienty) in the feedlot. But none of them have offered me any documentation, reports, studies showing that. I understand crossbreeding pluses, fertility, heavier weaning weights, etc., but I've never seen anything about feedlot efficiency. Yet Badlands assures us that it's true.

I am impressed with your "straightbred" Angus Bull which just came off a 112 day test with 6.21 lbs per day gains! Remarkable! In light of the current thinking concerning our brood cows achieving too much mature weight, therefore accelerating the seemingly continuous increase in cow "size" and, accordingly, higher maintenance costs of heavier stock. That phase of the discussion is not in question. Heavier cows cost more to feed, house, pasture, et al. Concerning oneself with TOTAL expenses in operating a Beef Breeding establishment - it must be taken into consideration when planning a profitable endeavor, that increased heterosis by way of crossbreeding plans is ONE way of increasing the bottom line income. By using your 6.21 gainer as a Replacement Heifer producer - UP goes the cost factors in production protocols! Using that 6.21 gainer for producing Terminal FEEDLOT calves sounds interesting, with the exception of creating calving problems with a percentage of your cowherd - pulling calves, vet expenses, and killing cows, to name a few.

What makes you think his dam is a big cow? Why would you assume he'll be used as a heifer replacement producer? His BW EPD is less than 2. His own BW was pretty moderate. He's not a cow killer. You're making all kinds of assumptions when I'm simply trying to produce bulls who will sire calves that get through the feedlot in a hurry.

I can't get any of these links to work. Or they username and password. Want to try again?

Badlands":35x47d2e said:
Frankie,

I don't have links, I have papers.

Go search through the reports at MARC.

Won't be as much about crossbreeding now as there used to be, but it will show breed and more specifically biological type differences.

Badlands

So I guess that's a "no". Too bad.

You are capable of finding it, frankie.

I'll edit since I saw your previous post.

I do have it, frankie. I just have them in hard copy. I don't have the time or inclination to scan a couple thousand pages into my computer.

Like Doc said, the papers are all over the 'net.

You are fishing for something, but nobody is biting.

Badlands

Badlands":hgbheh70 said:
You are capable of finding it, frankie.

I'll edit since I saw your previous post.

I do have it, frankie. I just have them in hard copy. I don't have the time or inclination to scan a couple thousand pages into my computer.

Like Doc said, the papers are all over the 'net.

You are fishing for something, but nobody is biting.

Badlands

I'm not fishing. You made a statement about crossbred cattle being more efficient in the feedlot. That's something I've never been able to document. I've asked several people and now asked if you have something online that shows it to be true. And here we are. You trying to make my question something it wasn't. I wonder why.

You say they're all over the net, please post a link.

Frankie, I don't know if there is data that says "crossbred cattle are more feed efficient" in general. That would all depend on the breeds you are crossing. If you take this quote from the article:
"Meat Animal Research Center data, as well as research at many universities, support the theory that the leaner, growth breeds, including Gelbvieh, have the edge in feed efficiency. British breeds deposit more fat; energy-wise that comes with a high price tag."

I don't think anyone would disagree that:
1.) it takes less feed to put on muscle than it does to put on fat.
2.)continentals and continintalXbritish crosses are generally leaner and heavier muscled than straight british cattle.

Is is on those 2 facts that one could come to the reasonable conclusion that the continentals and the continintalxbritish crosses would generally be more feed efficient.

This is the best I could do. Looks to me if your a cow calf operator your a sucker not to go cross bred, but as for feed conversion there is a slight drop over the average of the two parents.

Table 1. Heritability and Heterosis Estimates for Some Economically Important Traits.

Trait /Heritability a /Total heterosis (%) b

Calving rate / .02 - .17 / 6
Calf survival to weaning / .10 - .15 / 4
Weaning rate / .17 / 8
Birth weight direct / .31 / 6
Weaning weight direct / .24 / 11
Milk production / .20 / 9
Post-weaning gain / .31 / 3

Yearling weight / .33 / 4
Mature cow weight / .50 / 1
Feed conversion (TDN/gain) / .32 / - 2
Dressing % / .39 / 0