feed consumed

Help Support CattleToday:

sjeffery

Reaction score
I'm doing a bit of research and am having a bit of trouble tracking down the answer to a basic question: How much feed/forage is consumed per head for dairy/beef cattle?

I know this would depend on the breed and location. The location would be the upper midwest (Wisconsin). I am not sure of the breeds as I have not heard back from the NASS yet, so I would assume holstein for milk.

Can anyone provide any rough numbers?

Thanks

sjeffery":xv1eakdz said:
I'm doing a bit of research and am having a bit of trouble tracking down the answer to a basic question: How much feed/forage is consumed per head for dairy/beef cattle?

I know this would depend on the breed and location. The location would be the upper midwest (Wisconsin). I am not sure of the breeds as I have not heard back from the NASS yet, so I would assume holstein for milk.

Thanks
you asked an easy question.dairy cows eat20 to 24lbs of grain a day depending on production.they eat 30lbs of grass or so a day.30lbs of silage a day more or less.25lbs of hay a day.

bigbull338":19fbuazc said:
you asked an easy question.dairy cows eat20 to 24lbs of grain a day depending on production.they eat 30lbs of grass or so a day.30lbs of silage a day more or less.25lbs of hay a day.

Thanks for the info. Do all of those numbers apply specifically to dairy cows or do they apply to beef as well?

sjeffery":1c2phfh7 said:
bigbull338":1c2phfh7 said:

Thanks for the info. Do all of those numbers apply specifically to dairy cows or do they apply to beef as well?

Dairy. If you've got to feed a beef cow 20 to 24 lbs of grain/day you've definitely got the wrong animals. 30 lbs of grass or hay would be about right for beef, depending on their frame size. Silage would probably be more along the lines of a couple of pounds/animal.

bigbull338":ifeooztt said:
sjeffery":ifeooztt said:

Thanks

Dairy is not a cut and dry formula like B Bull said so it's like comparing apples to oranges.A good dairy herd's feed ration changes from week to week if you are on top of it to maximize milk production ,maintain fertility and body score.So dairy ration of a good production milking herd is not even close to a beef cow nursing a calf.Like I said apple to oranges.Get a nutritionist to work with your and you production herd.

Latest posts