Fed up with Fleas on premises

Help Support CattleToday:

Kell-inKY

Reaction score
What's the dang deal, we have lived here for 3 years and every summer we start getting bit with fleas (mostly around the lower legs and ankles after being outside). I spray the porch, the barns, some of the yard but I am tired of this bull.

We have 1 dog and 4 barn cats that spend most of their time on the porch. NO indoor pets. They are all on monthly flea medicine and I powder the dog so much that he is going to get poisoned I think. The previous owners had plenty of dogs with fleas so I may be dealing with a yearly thing.

Anyway, what would be best to spray the yard and barn with, we have free range chickens that I put up at night and have been spraying/powdering their coop as well. I don't know where the fleas are, the yard, the dirt floor of the barn, under the porch? I have concentrated on the porch but I think I'm getting them in the barn, or on the way to the barn (near the house). I have tried seven dust in the barn last year, and tried it in the garden hose sprayer but I just don't see how a dust is going to take care of it? I tried permethrin and it did not seem to work as well as the seven dust? Nothing has worked well so far.

I don't want the whole yard to smell like malathion either, plus we have kids that come over and run around here and there.

Any ideas? we were not "pet" people before moving here and are trying to catch up. I am ready to hook up the boom sprayer and carpet bomb the whole place soon, I can't stand this, nearly as bad as the ticks in the woods.

Kell...we've never had fleas but once had a huge number of ticks....I bought a 50 lb. bag of diatomaceous earth and just walked all around the yard throwing it everywhere....rubbed it all over the dogs and cats too.....hasn't seen a tick in 15 years now. And it's totally harmless to your and your animals. 50 lbs. is about $25.

There are some good premise sprays out that you can do your yard and porch with. Most are ok for kids and pets after it drys. But that is the best way to get into every crack and crevice. Just be sure to keep the chickens away from it for a good bit! Pet beds need to go through the washer and dryer. The dryer kills more. Everything has to be treated at one time, then repeat in about 14 days or so to get the residual.
Good luck, I have dealt with it in the past too. Yard spray along with everything else worked the best.

Talstar is what i spray around my kennels and surrounding areas but if theres a well near by i dont think its a good idea to use it because of the run off... However there is talstart granules too. Talstar kills the fleas that are adults i dont think it does anything with the eggs.

Kell-inKY":33la6z87 said:
What's the dang deal, we have lived here for 3 years and every summer we start getting bit with fleas (mostly around the lower legs and ankles after being outside). I spray the porch, the barns, some of the yard but I am tired of this bull.

We have 1 dog and 4 barn cats that spend most of their time on the porch. NO indoor pets. They are all on monthly flea medicine and I powder the dog so much that he is going to get poisoned I think. The previous owners had plenty of dogs with fleas so I may be dealing with a yearly thing.

Anyway, what would be best to spray the yard and barn with, we have free range chickens that I put up at night and have been spraying/powdering their coop as well. I don't know where the fleas are, the yard, the dirt floor of the barn, under the porch? I have concentrated on the porch but I think I'm getting them in the barn, or on the way to the barn (near the house). I have tried seven dust in the barn last year, and tried it in the garden hose sprayer but I just don't see how a dust is going to take care of it? I tried permethrin and it did not seem to work as well as the seven dust? Nothing has worked well so far.

I don't want the whole yard to smell like malathion either, plus we have kids that come over and run around here and there.

Any ideas? we were not "pet" people before moving here and are trying to catch up. I am ready to hook up the boom sprayer and carpet bomb the whole place soon, I can't stand this, nearly as bad as the ticks in the woods.

http://www.domyownpestcontrol.com/tenga ... -p-98.html

Spray the yard, spray the house, spray the roof, spray inside the house (under if you have a crawl space). Spray every thing. Do it on a regular basis.

branguscowgirl":2h0553x5 said:
There are some good premise sprays out that you can do your yard and porch with. Most are ok for kids and pets after it drys. But that is the best way to get into every crack and crevice. Just be sure to keep the chickens away from it for a good bit! Pet beds need to go through the washer and dryer. The dryer kills more. Everything has to be treated at one time, then repeat in about 14 days or so to get the residual.
Good luck, I have dealt with it in the past too. Yard spray along with everything else worked the best.

:lol: :lol: I like that.

TexasBred":uehferre said:
branguscowgirl":uehferre said:

:lol: :lol: I like that.
:lol: That statement is a little broad, isn't it? :mrgreen:
"Everything else" means all the bed washing, flea drops to the animals, house bombs ect. ect. Killing flees is multidimensional. It takes many different approaches to get rid of the buggers! :)

Well if you promise not to tell the EPA …..

I got rid of the fleas and all other creatures in my ranch house yard with Sevin dust. Took my yard blower and turned it upside and poured Sevin into the intake. It blows out a nice, even pattern of Sevin that covers everything including under the house. Did that for three weeks running (once a week) and now we don't have a problem with fleas or scorpions or flies or ….

Latest posts