FCS Frustration

Help Support CattleToday:

angus9259

Reaction score
I just read the 12/21 FCS update on the AAA website. No real news I guess. Frustrating. In the middle of breeding season - avoiding anything in the semen tank associated with 598 but my two cleanup bulls both have 598 in them - one an SVF bandolier son and the other a net worth son. The website article says they anticipate it affecting 3-4% of the AI sire population - but I'll bet that's based on studs and not actual breedings. With the ballooning interest in SAV bulls, I gotta believe the effects will be much greater than the "3-4% of AI sires" label may lead one to believe.

The best I can tell and from what others have said, looks like 036 and 6807 will be clean, maybe that will help make some decisions.

RD-Sam":1iqvh576 said:
The best I can tell and from what others have said, looks like 036 and 6807 will be clean, maybe that will help make some decisions.

Then why is all around throwing fcs?

angus9259":2qw5443c said:
I just read the 12/21 FCS update on the AAA website. No real news I guess. Frustrating. In the middle of breeding season - avoiding anything in the semen tank associated with 598 but my two cleanup bulls both have 598 in them - one an SVF bandolier son and the other a net worth son. The website article says they anticipate it affecting 3-4% of the AI sire population - but I'll bet that's based on studs and not actual breedings. With the ballooning interest in SAV bulls, I gotta believe the effects will be much greater than the "3-4% of AI sires" label may lead one to believe.

Just joking....try changing your name to Hereford9259....or maybe change mine to AngusSire. :mrgreen:

angus9259":1nsrzjdt said:
RD-Sam":1nsrzjdt said:

Then why is all around throwing fcs?

From 208- who's maternal side traces back thru Bando 598 to Freestate Barbara...

From the reams of info I've read- if I remember right- there has been folks report FCS involved with 208-- but that the Australians had not found any connected with 036 so far...

036, I have not heard anything about 036 and FCS. I do not see Freestate Barbara 871 of Kaf in 036's pedigree, who I get the impression is public enemy #1 regarding FCS. Someone put my mind at ease. Please!
I have ONE All Around calf who I felt was going to be the only animal of concern with FCS since Freestate Barbara in the pedigree.

patience is required for fcs, the good dr. beever is not only searching for the errant mutation that causes what appears to be a simple recessive trait but it also resequencing the bovine genome that has errors in it resulting in this delay in finding a definitive test. We were spoiled by this mans genius in locating and developing tests for AM and NH in rapid fire time.

Personally I think Net Worth will be fine, why? Because he is still being used heavily by Schaffs.

036 has been essentially cleared as GDF (or RTF) by the Australians, who'd have thunk 036 would be a pure genepool?

Cormac":13owj3au said:
036, I have not heard anything about 036 and FCS. I do not see Freestate Barbara 871 of Kaf in 036's pedigree, who I get the impression is public enemy #1 regarding FCS. Someone put my mind at ease. Please!
I have ONE All Around calf who I felt was going to be the only animal of concern with FCS since Freestate Barbara in the pedigree.

I think you better keep on looking past the Barbara cow. :secret:

robert":3nz2ip6t said:
patience is required for fcs, the good dr. beever is not only searching for the errant mutation that causes what appears to be a simple recessive trait but it also resequencing the bovine genome that has errors in it resulting in this delay in finding a definitive test. We were spoiled by this mans genius in locating and developing tests for AM and NH in rapid fire time.

Personally I think Net Worth will be fine, why? Because he is still being used heavily by Schaffs.

036 has been essentially cleared as GDF (or RTF) by the Australians, who'd have thunk 036 would be a pure genepool?

I decided to roll the dice on 036 when I first started, hasn't let me down yet. :D

robert":2wdunrd6 said:

Herein lies the problem. Someone knows more than we do and has the ability to make decisions that we can't make putting them at a market advantage. Me, I gotta roll the dice on which herd bull to turn out in two weeks. :roll:

angus9259":1i996whb said:
robert":1i996whb said:

Herein lies the problem. Someone knows more than we do and has the ability to make decisions that we can't make putting them at a market advantage. Me, I gotta roll the dice on which herd bull to turn out in two weeks. :roll:

True to an extent however might be that now is a good time to quit supporting other peoples cattle and serving as their testing ground for the latest stud scam and put a little faith in genetics that you yourself have bred and tested over time.

I doubt we'll ever get to know the full extent of who knew what and when on these defects that have 'recently come to light :roll: ' and there is no doubt that some got preferential treatment on the initial testing that should have picked up the tab themselves, but we all can let our pocketbooks speak for us.

angus9259":17of0za3 said:

Could you provide a link to that data on FCS at the AAA for some reason I can't seem to find it.

Latest posts