Bred Heifer Frustration

Help Support CattleToday:

Coosh71

Reaction score
Hey all! I'd like y'all's opinions/insight on a COSTLY issue I'm having. Like other parts of the country we are in a drought. We like in the Texas Panhandle and haven't had a drop of water since October 8th of last year. Weather has been mild (some cold but a lot of 60-75 degree days/weeks). Out of 12 retained/bought heifers, we have now sluffed 4. All but 1 were short bred, but the one today had discharge on her tail was stretched out as if she calved a larger calf. But she isn't due until April. I've looked for the calf and placenta with no luck. Bulls were tested prior to breeding and all heifers we're checked by the vet after they sluffed and got a perfect health score. Vet today said he doesn't believe it's the dry weather. So what then? All animals receive 5 lbs/every other day of 20% cake and free choice mineral. All vaccinated, and have good grass from hay cut last year. Sorry this is so long just wanted to give as much detail as I could. Thanks in advance.

The information is difficult to speculate on. There is a list of organisms including viruses, bacteria and protozoans that cause abortions in cattle. Even some fungi can cause abortions. There are also non-infectious causes. Since these are occurring early term, I would work with a vet to determine which organisms cause early term abortions.

Here are some of the more common:

Neospora - after 3 months; common 4 to 6 months. Protozoan.

Bovine Viral Diarrhea (BVD) - Complex epidemiology.

Infectious Bovine Respiratory Disease (IBR) - 4 months to term most common but anytime. Virus.

Leptospira - last trimester. Bacteria.

Trichomonas- a protozoan parasite transmitted by bulls.

Campylobacter (Vibriosis) - 4 to 8 months. Bacteria.

Do you have wild hogs? They carry a Lepto that is not in the standard 5 or the HB either. It is called Brataslavia or something like that. Read an article and talked with the Vet/author about it in TX a few years ago. The owners about died, heifers aborted, ... But test first if you can.

Thanks Raven. Took blood today at vet from heifer. No placenta or calf found. He is testing for a panel of aborting agents in cattle so hope we find something. Should know by Tuesday/Weds. And Ebenezer we do have wild hogs I just sent vet a text about that also. We were researching all kinds of things today at the clinic. I appreciate you guys.

Latest posts