Favorite wood to burn.........

Help Support CattleToday:

I don't cut and split wood anymore . I buy red oak or hickory. The hickory burns quite a bit hotter than the oak.

Most of what I burn is oak but then that's what we have the most of.I've also burnt hickory and ash.Locust only gets burned if I can't salvage some poles or posts from it.The only oak we burn is dead or wouldn't make logs.
Nice group of saws you've got there.What models?
You might consider picking up an 026,260 or 261 to go with them.Great saws,will cut a lot of wood and easier on your back.I really like my MS 362 and some cousins in the firewood business run them but I still grag the 026 when it can be used.Just got to get it running again.Cracked fuel tank I haven't had a chance to replace.

JW IN VA":5ye3ygm7 said:
Most of what I burn is oak but then that's what we have the most of.I've also burnt hickory and ash.Locust only gets burned if I can't salvage some poles or posts from it.The only oak we burn is dead or wouldn't make logs.
Nice group of saws you've got there.What models?
You might consider picking up an 026,260 or 261 to go with them.
Great saws,will cut a lot of wood and easier on your back.I really like my MS 362 and some cousins in the firewood business run them but I still grag the 026 when it can be used.Just got to get it running again.Cracked fuel tank I haven't had a chance to replace.
The saw models in the picture are Stihl 036, Stihl 440, and Stihl 660. Probably the Stihl 026 Pro saw I have is my favorite. I have a new 16" 3/8" Low Profile bar and chain mounted and it is like using a toy, but cuts great. A lot of good reviews on the newer MS261.

Craig Miller":1f3c3bfx said:
ez14.":1f3c3bfx said:
Elm or oak burns long and hot. But in recent years we have pretty much burned exclusively ash because it's easy to find but it fills the stove up with ash real fast

As fast as you put it in there I bet.
:lol: yeah I guess so

Black locust is my favorite by far. I've been burning a lot of Ash lately just because there is so much available. Seasoned oak is great to burn but green oak is a waste of time. Oak needs to be seasoned 2 years and then it is premium firewood in my opinion.

After 20+ years of falling timber I have cut more than my share of wood. Any more my favorite wood is one that somebody else cut and stacked in my wood shed. The trouble is finding people who don't want to be paid to do it. I am too cheap to buy firewood.

Dave":34h59myc said:
After 20+ years of falling timber I have cut more than my share of wood. Any more my favorite wood is one that somebody else cut and stacked in my wood shed. The trouble is finding people who don't want to be paid to do it. I am too cheap to buy firewood.
Need to find yourself a doctor looking for a little physical activity that's what my boss did and it's a win for everybody me my boss and the doctor!

Found this little list:
Do you burn firewood? Here is a list of the best firewood to burn—sorted by high, medium, and low heat value—as well as a few important wood-burning tips.

BEST FIREWOOD: HIGH HEAT VALUE
1 cord = 200 to 250 gallons of fuel oil

American beech
Apple
Ironwood
Red oak
Shagbark hickory
Sugar maple
White ash
White oak
Yellow birch
MEDIUM HEAT VALUE
1 cord = 150 to 200 gallons of fuel oil

American elm
Black cherry
Douglas fir
Red maple
Silver maple
Tamarack
White birch
LOW HEAT VALUE
1 cord = 100 to 150 gallons of fuel oil

Aspen
Cottonwood
Hemlock
Lodgepole pine
Red alder
Redwood
Sitka spruce
Western red cedar
White pine

Wish hedge grew here. I prefer hickory then oak.
The cedar that grows here burns up too fast in our outdoor boiler.

Locust is my favorite: easy splitting, hot burning, only a moderate ash build-up. Ash comes in a close second. Then oak. I love burning hedge but I hate having to sharpen my saw every few cuts..

TexasBred":17prt42e said:
Found this little list:
Do you burn firewood? Here is a list of the best firewood to burn—sorted by high, medium, and low heat value—as well as a few important wood-burning tips.

American beech
Apple
Ironwood
Red oak
Shagbark hickory
Sugar maple
White ash
White oak
Yellow birch
MEDIUM HEAT VALUE

American elm
Black cherry
Douglas fir
Red maple
Silver maple
Tamarack
White birch
LOW HEAT VALUE

Aspen
Cottonwood
Hemlock
Lodgepole pine
Red alder
Redwood
Sitka spruce
Western red cedar
White pine

When we were in Alaska in the 60's I'd have to help dad get 10 cords of wood each year. It was a matter of taking what you could get and most of it was the lower quality.

I burn a lot of pecan now and it is not on your list.

Backhoeboogie, you should get 60 days in jail for burning pecan would in a stove, best cooking wood out there and your burning it in a wood stove. :lol:

jehosofat":1pirho9a said:
Backhoeboogie, you should get 60 days in jail for burning pecan would in a stove, best cooking wood out there and your burning it in a wood stove. :lol:

It also sells for a premium around here. Sell it for cooking and buy fireplace stuff, then keep the change.

The Brazos River Authority loves to hold the water in the lakes as long as possible, then cause a catastrophic flood. Take out your fences and old growth pecan trees etc. They are good for a train wreck frequently. What else are you going to do with the pecan ? I cook with it. But you can only cook so much.

backhoeboogie":34tk14gf said:
TexasBred":34tk14gf said:
Found this little list:

American beech
Apple
Ironwood
Red oak
Shagbark hickory
Sugar maple
White ash
White oak
Yellow birch
MEDIUM HEAT VALUE

American elm
Black cherry
Douglas fir
Red maple
Silver maple
Tamarack
White birch
LOW HEAT VALUE

Aspen
Cottonwood
Hemlock
Lodgepole pine
Red alder
Redwood
Sitka spruce
Western red cedar
White pine

When we were in Alaska in the 60's I'd have to help dad get 10 cords of wood each year. It was a matter of taking what you could get and most of it was the lower quality.

I burn a lot of pecan now and it is not on your list.

Seriously doubt a lot of people cut down a good pecan tree to burn for fire wood.

TexasBred":2tnce2jw said:
Seriously doubt a lot of people cut down a good pecan tree to burn for fire wood.

It is pretty darn good. We had some 40 inch diameter trees down that my 20 inch Stihl couldn't reach through. Wrap completely around the tree and you still were a couple of inches short. Split it and each piece made a heck of a pile of wood. I'm not sure how many cords were in those trees but it was a lot.

The pipe lines laid over my hickory trees in East Texas. I took the G/N over years back and cut 8 foot logs and hauled them back here. I only took the best. I gave loads of that to the daughter and to the neighbors and still had plenty. This winter I have finally knocked a serious dent in the hickory piled up.

The hickory is not nearly as nice burning as pecan is.

In one case the flood waters took out the trees. In the other case the gas line people took out the trees. I would never cut the old growth hickory and I would never cut a healthy pecan down.

Latest posts