Favorite Tomato

Help Support CattleToday:

cow pollinater":601ue2nc said:
I love the cherry tomatoes. My wife will eat the big ones some but the kids and I don't care to much... instead we eat the sweet100's like candy.
I agree. I plant one y the garden gate and one by the gate going to the barn. Eat them by the handfull fresh off the vine as I am walking by.

Raised some of the black tomatoes in 2011 (bad drought year) and they did great. Not much to look at as far as conformity, but gawd they were good--and huge! You won't be disappointed.

My brother in law has a little 20 X 30 ft greenhouse and starts enough tomato plants for 1/2 the county--always a different bunch of varieties each year. (that's where I got the black tomatos.) Last year included some German heirlooms that were really good as well as some French or Italian cherry type tomatoes. Lots of them, I have never heard of, but they all have their own distinctive taste. We canned lots of them and they have kept good--almost out now tho. I'll never grow any more BB or early girl types again.

I'm not a tomato eater, but my wife loves them. One year, we were given some Persimmon Tomato seedlings. They were the color and shape of a persimmon and had a little sweetness to them. Even I liked those. Have never found any more of them, sadly.

chippie":3h377p2e said:
beginning to wish that I had a greenhouse. . .
Yup. Can't do a soft-sided one here, because the wind would have it gone within a week.

But, Chippie, you might think about putting in some raised beds, and along the sides as you construct it, put in 1 inch diam PVC pipe along the outside edges, that you could insert 3/4" PVC to arc over the beds and cover w/ heavy plastic. There are plans for this on the internet. We did ours via a plan on the Sunset Magazine site. But our winds are too big -- just blew our plastic covers to pieces.

Mexico has always done very well for me. Azoychka (sp?) is a nice smaller early yellow tomato with great flavor. I usually also grow Bush Early Girls for a nice early crop.

Latest posts