Favorite/LeastFavoite F1's

Help Support CattleToday:

KANSAS

Reaction score
Ok.... favorite and least favorite F1's. Please name breed of bull used. Also only if you have had experience with them.

Thanks.

That's easy, Hereford bull on Red Angus cow or Red Angus bull on Gelbvieh cow

dun

Dun,
I am assuming that is your favorite. How about your least favorite...

Could some of you also give some reasons why... Thanks..

Favorite - BA bull on hereford cows, you won't have trouble selling them and they make great mamas. I like a little simmi in there and I'm trying the gelpvieh now, so I can't say just yet.

Least favorite - Anything that doesn't make money, or I can't catch.

cfpinz

KANSAS":2ru9qupa said:
Dun,
I am assuming that is your favorite. How about your least favorite...

Could some of you also give some reasons why... Thanks..

Least favorite would be anything with Charolais, limousin, Longhorn or Braunvieh

my fav f1 cross is hereford bull on holstein cows.that cross will always wean heavy calves.

Favorite = Simmental Bull X Angus Cow

Least Favorite = too many to mention, no Highland or belted galloway or other pasture ornament breed

I like Angus on Herf and Limi on Angus.

Least favorite is Holstien on Lonnghorn :lol:

I was surprised to see Holsteins in the mix. I thought they were strickly dairy. Do people breed them with beef cattle? And would that cross then be for beef or dairy? Sorry to be so ignorant.

holstien/brahman make great mama cows...because of their milk, they raise a good calf when crossed with a beef breed..i had them for a while, but as mamas they seemed to fall off a lot (become thin) while raising their calf...i couldn't keep the mamas with a good body condition...sold them...

DRB":eu8ux6pp said:
holstien/brahman make great mama cows...because of their milk, they raise a good calf when crossed with a beef breed..i had them for a while, but as mamas they seemed to fall off a lot (become thin) while raising their calf...i couldn't keep the mamas with a good body condition...sold them...
you can get enough milk from the brahman side alone bred too a good beef animal. and too much milk will take a toll on their condition and other problems to boot like bad quarters or mastitis

swampbillies":p01mr0rw said:
I was surprised to see Holsteins in the mix. I thought they were strickly dairy. Do people breed them with beef cattle? And would that cross then be for beef or dairy? Sorry to be so ignorant.

I don't think that many dairy folks that still use natural service, but my grandparents always bred their dairy heifers to an Angus bull for calving ease.

I couldn't tell you a thing about the performance of these calves, but they tasted fine.

In dairy my favorite is a Jersey x Ayrshire. Least is a Holstien because you are never done pulling calves.
My favorite beef cross is Shorthorn bull on longhorn cows and cross that back to Shorthorn or Red Angus.
Least favorite is Black Angus because in this part of the country there is too much Holstien blood in them and they are too spooky.

swampbillies":2t2ggnie said:
im a retired dairyman an the last 10yrs i milked we ran polled hereford bulls on holstein cows.hence the holstein blood.alot of people around here run brahamastein cows.the only problem with them is some get tobe bottleteated.

badaxemoo":hqxp0rs8 said:
I don't think that many dairy folks that still use natural service, but my grandparents always bred their dairy heifers to an Angus bull for calving ease.

My uncle used to do the same thing, only with a Hereford bull on Holstein heifers. This was back in the 50's and 60's when Herefords were quite a bit smaller. Put a couple of those crosses back in his beef herd and they always raised some good calves.

Lots of dairy farmers use beef breeds for calving ease on holstein heifers. If you have good beef cattle the last thing you want to do is mix dairy in, for many reasons.