favorite deer rifle

Help Support CattleToday:

aplusmnt":1cnj5p3z said:
RAWCJW":1cnj5p3z said:
We have to use shotguns :cry: :cry: :cry: Remington 870 12 gauge/w leopould scope (maybe I should loan it to Chaney) :lol:

You guys have to use Shotguns to hunt deer in IL? If so what is the reasoning behind this law?
Dumb rule isn't it, not to mention you can only have 3 shells in your gun. :roll:

You guys have to use Shotguns to hunt deer in IL? If so what is the reasoning behind this law?[/quote]
Dumb rule isn't it, not to mention you can only have 3 shells in your gun. :roll:[/quote]

and you don't dare carry a loaded firearm in your outfit or they have a fit

RAWCJW":1mxhntkm said:
aplusmnt":1mxhntkm said:
RAWCJW":1mxhntkm said:
We have to use shotguns :cry: :cry: :cry: Remington 870 12 gauge/w leopould scope (maybe I should loan it to Chaney) :lol:

You guys have to use Shotguns to hunt deer in IL? If so what is the reasoning behind this law?
Dumb rule isn't it, not to mention you can only have 3 shells in your gun. :roll:

seems in humane to use a gun that might not drop them. I would think you might get lots of un harvested by slow dying deer with Shotguns only. Pretty crazy law!

aplusmnt":3or6ycib said:
RAWCJW":3or6ycib said:
aplusmnt":3or6ycib said:
RAWCJW":3or6ycib said:

seems in humane to use a gun that might not drop them. I would think you might get lots of un harvested by slow dying deer with Shotguns only. Pretty crazy law!

Model 12 Winchester with No.1 Buck have killed 100's and you don't have to have a plug. Second if you have to shoot a deer a more than once with a shotgun you don't know what your doing. Have you patterned your gun as no 2 shotguns pattern the same. The Model 12, will put 12 out of 16 pellets in a paper plate at 50 yards (1 Buck) zero 00 buck, have a model 11 likes N0 4 buck 26 24 cal pellets will put 20 better in the paper plate. Buckshot comes in 000(38 cal) 8 pellet 00(36 cal)9 pellets 0(32 cal) 12 pellets 1(30 cal) 16 pellets 4(24 cal) 26 pellets. If a dime won't go down the end of the barrel your gun will probablly prefer No 1 or 4 buckshot Dime goes in with some play Single 0 or 00 will more than likely be the shell. I have found less than a handful that like 000. You put a paper plate at 50 yards and find the shell that will put 3/4 of the load in the plate, if you don't think a load of 12 30 cal pellets in a 9 inch patterm is'nt deadly your mistaken. Also some shotguns will not pattern buckshot at all find someone you don't like and give it to them.

Winchester 1200 12gauge with a rifled slug barrel and 3" magnum slugs. Anything within 100yards is dead.

New York is also shotgun only for deer hunting.

Sorry Caustic, We can,t use buck shot either, At 100 yards Winchester partition gold slugs will hold a 3 inch group pretty easy through a rifled barrel But they do kick like a mule,and cost $11.00 for a box of 5.

I still honor my grandfather(long passed but not forgoten) by using his Browning Featherweight two shot automatic with 12 GA slugs. I think it is really a trap and skeat gun. He liked it because it was very light for him to carry in his final hunting years.

I also enjoyed hunting with his 3030 in Michigan a few years.

I mostly enjoy treestand bow hunting.

I use a Ruger 77 in 30-06 for blacktail, mulies, and whitetail (we have all three here in Washington). A Ruger 77 in 300 Win Mag for elk. The oldest son has a Remington 700 in 7mm Mag that he uses for everything. The second son uses a Remington 721 in 30-06 for deer and a Ruger 77 in 338 that he uses for elk. The youngest daughter uses a Ruger 77 in 270 for deer and elk. They all have Leapold scopes. My '06 is an old 2x7 and I think the rest are all 3x9's.
Dave

Remington 700, BDL, detachable magazine, stainless, synthetic stock, in 30-06, Leupold rings and base hold the Millet scope nice and tight.

We live in a county that has more deer than people and if you could throw a rock hard enough to kill one you would not even need a rifle as you can get that close to the dang things. I have yet to have a shot of over 100 yards, just to hilly plus the deer are so thick. Not much of a sport to it around here IMHO but I still delight in taking my limit every year.

J

Caustic Burno":925ajinb said:
aplusmnt":925ajinb said:
RAWCJW":925ajinb said:
aplusmnt":925ajinb said:
RAWCJW":925ajinb said:

Model 12 Winchester with No.1 Buck have killed 100's and you don't have to have a plug. Second if you have to shoot a deer a more than once with a shotgun you don't know what your doing. Have you patterned your gun as no 2 shotguns pattern the same. The Model 12, will put 12 out of 16 pellets in a paper plate at 50 yards (1 Buck) zero 00 buck, have a model 11 likes N0 4 buck 26 24 cal pellets will put 20 better in the paper plate. Buckshot comes in 000(38 cal) 8 pellet 00(36 cal)9 pellets 0(32 cal) 12 pellets 1(30 cal) 16 pellets 4(24 cal) 26 pellets. If a dime won't go down the end of the barrel your gun will probablly prefer No 1 or 4 buckshot Dime goes in with some play Single 0 or 00 will more than likely be the shell. I have found less than a handful that like 000. You put a paper plate at 50 yards and find the shell that will put 3/4 of the load in the plate, if you don't think a load of 12 30 cal pellets in a 9 inch patterm is'nt deadly your mistaken. Also some shotguns will not pattern buckshot at all find someone you don't like and give it to them.
caustic my wife bought me a winchester modle 1200 years ago and i do agree with you its a meat getter.also does a number on ducks too.i lit a big bobcat up with it about 4 years ago.thought it was a coon.shot it with no 4 high brass all i could see was his eyes in a big oak in my yard.when he came screaming down the tree i knew what he was then.

EIEIO":1p6ho6r5 said:
Remington 700, BDL, detachable magazine, stainless, synthetic stock, in 30-06, Leupold rings and base hold the Millet scope nice and tight.

We live in a county that has more deer than people and if you could throw a rock hard enough to kill one you would not even need a rifle as you can get that close to the dang things. I have yet to have a shot of over 100 yards, just to hilly plus the deer are so thick. Not much of a sport to it around here IMHO but I still delight in taking my limit every year.

J

Our deer population was like that a couple of years ago. We've had some real severe outbreaks of bluetongue and now the herd is drastically reduced. Ma Nature has ways of addressing situations

dun

Shotguns should be the ONLY weapon allowed. Does a great job as is not such a danger to others. I had a State Rep tell me one time that a 30-06 wouldn't go but a hundred yards or so because it was stopped by the leaves and twigs! A 30-06 is an M1 rifle that is accurate to 600 yards by an novice and 1500 yards by a pro! Spent two years in the middle of Viet Nam and never got a scratch. Came home and was almost killed three times in the first two years by deer hunters. Too many nuts out there carrying high powered rifles that have no idea what they will do. By the way, a 30-06 will go through a quarter inch steel plate at 300 yards; don't think a twig will do the job!

Guess I'm plain and old fashioned. For deer the 30.06 never broke so I haven't fixed it. All mine are scratched and ugly on the outside and clean and bright on the inside. That's the way I am with shotguns and rifles. They work for me, not the other way around.

I use Ruger 77 in 7mm mag for deer. Have busted some hogs with a Remington 700BDL in 8mm mag, but I've got to be very stingy with it since the 8 mm mag cartridges are so hard to get in just about any place in Texas that I've tried. Saving all my 8mm brass in case it is needed for reloading.

Dave":81wtwh1d said:
I use a Ruger 77 in 30-06 for blacktail, mulies, and whitetail (we have all three here in Washington). A Ruger 77 in 300 Win Mag for elk. The oldest son has a Remington 700 in 7mm Mag that he uses for everything. The second son uses a Remington 721 in 30-06 for deer and a Ruger 77 in 338 that he uses for elk. The youngest daughter uses a Ruger 77 in 270 for deer and elk. They all have Leapold scopes. My '06 is an old 2x7 and I think the rest are all 3x9's.
Dave

Great elk gun, really flat shooting I have the same gun. With a leapold var. III. I load this gun with nosler partition bullets. The last bear I shot with it went less than its body length. Shot placement is the key to any round.

I use a Model 70 Winchester featherweight in a .308 cal.

The wife likes her Rem. Model 700 in the .270 cal.

We both like the .22 Mag. for shooting pests the year round.
;-)

Latest posts