favorite deer rifle

Help Support CattleToday:

I have a hobby buying old and new military guns and sporterizing them. have collected several in the past.also have several reg american rifles. (too many to list). in all my rifles I prefer an enfield that had never been fired that i bought and sporterized about 8yr ago. It is the 308 caliber,composite stock and a 3x9x50 simmons scope. use this for whitetail.( took down a buck 10pt w/16"spread and 2 good size does this season). I use an old m98 mauser which i sporterized for hog hunting. carry a model 94 3030 winchester on my 4wheeler and in my truck for a varmit gun. beat up and skinned up but inside in great shape.used to carry a 22mag on my 4wheeler until i saw some large cat tracks at my lower tank,and the neighbor who leaves for work @ 6am saw a cougar 3 time crossing the road coming from my lower pasture. I decieded to up the caliber a little.

Cal

MikeC":xtifv07w said:
Caustic Burno":xtifv07w said:
Here we go again ate with Sabre tooth tigers and panthers.

What do you shoot panthers with Caustic? ;-)
Those are probably just like the little pigs he has trouble with, Mike. He probably has to get Camp to go with him to protect him and do all the shootin'.

Texan":35h6qoex said:
MikeC":35h6qoex said:
Caustic Burno":35h6qoex said:
Here we go again ate with Sabre tooth tigers and panthers.

What do you shoot panthers with Caustic? ;-)
Those are probably just like the little pigs he has trouble with, Mike. He probably has to get Camp to go with him to protect him and do all the shootin'.

No joke; we've got those things here! Heard one scream a couple of nights ago, sounded like it was at my back door. You would swear it was someone sticking a knife in a woman and twisting it!! Sends chills up and down your back!

Being an old artilleryman, I'm looking for a good used 105 howitzer!

No joke; we've got those things here! Heard one scream a couple of nights ago, sounded like it was at my back door. You would swear it was someone sticking a knife in a woman and twisting it!! Sends chills up and down your back!

Prolly a screech owl in the yard.

MikeC":u5n6ff8e said:

Maybe Ol' Norriscathy lives too close to Caustic, and he's ear witnessing a Hog Killin"?Course ol' CB's place is overun with Panthers and Mt. Lions. It's a wonder he's got a single head of stock left on the place.

Living in the Big Thicket the only sub tropical rain forest natural preserve in the USA. You can walk out my front door nothing for 60 miles out the back nothing for 50 miles after countless days of hunting the Thicket night and day no big cats. You can bet your butt if one ever comes through and makes a track I am going to introduce it to my Cat Hounds (Walker) and shoot it with a gun and a camera. I am amazed at how smart them hounds are as the only tree or bay bobcats, they avoid all the African lions, Sabre tooth tigers, and mountain lions.

I grew up hunting deer with a 30/30 winchester, .303 lee enfield...

Last couple of years we have been hunting deer and bear with 12 ga shotguns and slugs..more of a challenge.. :D

MikeC":ofhfj7ws said:

Hadn't heard a scream like that since I was a boy in Florida and heard my first black panther. Last summer my wife came home and told me she saw the "prettiest bob cat" crossing the road but it was all one color, was the size of our German Shepard with the same type of tail! We've had several spottings around here. So far no problem with cattle; maybe they'll help keep the hogs down!

norriscathy":1gaxjqcb said:
MikeC":1gaxjqcb said:

Hadn't heard a scream like that since I was a boy in Florida and heard my first black panther.

How do they sound compared to the "regular" panthers?