Favorite deer recipe

Help Support CattleToday:

tuck

Reaction score
I love to hunt and make alot of jerky and summer sausage, but the biggest reason I make that is because I have never really had any good cooked deer meat. What are some of yall's favorite ways of cooking it.

tuck we like to take back strap slice it up then put black pepper on it and put it in a slow cooker pour a can of mushroom soup over it put it on low and cook all knight you can get up the next morning fix a pan of cat head's scramble you some egg's make's for a good breakfast.It's good fryed too but you gotta cut thin and roll it in flower fry it in butter dang i gotta hush im getting hungry.

rattler

Take loin and cut it up about big as your fist. salt , pepper it and cover it with cheap yellow mustard. Add worchestire sauce and rap with some thick cut hickory smoked bacon. grill it. goes real well with some brown sippin whisky .

Cube it. Batter it. Fry it. Smother it in gravy and cook slowly till you can cut it with a fork. Serve with rice.

i let the backstrap marinate in catalina dressing with bacon wrapped around and then put it on the grill. what jogeephus said is very good as well...

tuck":1onin2sp said:
I love to hunt and make alot of jerky and summer sausage, but the biggest reason I make that is because I have never really had any good cooked deer meat. What are some of yall's favorite ways of cooking it.

I like to get some sausage made and make some jerky with the poorer cuts too. Makes a nice lean sausage. The better cuts I use just like beef. A couple of things though, I do let a recipe cook longer in a sauce (I think it gets more tender) and when grilling watch to not overcook (I like grilled meat med/rare though).

Just experiment with some and good luck!

marinate in liquid smoke and whouchester(sp) sauce. batter w/ egg and milk and flour and pan fry! Yummy! Then make cream gravy w/ the left over grease and flour.

However you cook it, always make sure that everything else in the meal is ready to eat before the venison is finished cooking. That way you pull the meat off the grill, stove, whatever and eat it while it is still hot (well at least very warm).

Mix it 50/50 with deboned ckicken, add jalapenos and green onions and seasoning and make sausage with it. Outstanding on the grill.

Use Cajun Injector in a roast and slow cook it.

I always get patties made..50/50 deer and brisket. Pack em 4 to a pack. They're easy to take out and grill just a few(actually 4) at a time.

We generally have the bar-b-que going and grill some backstrap while we are butchering the deer. This year for the fun of it we threw a side of deer ribs on the grill. :!: Amazing flavor! We are no longer going to be grilling medallions but rather the ribs. I was really surprised.

My wife made this the other night. She used regular venison steaks, not the loin and it was wonderful - tasted like a gourmet dish.

Venison Medallions with Shiitake Port Sauce

8 (3 to 3 1/2-ounce) venison medallions (each about 1/2 to 3/4-inch
thick)
Salt, pepper
2 tablespoons butter
8 fresh large shiitake mushrooms, stems discarded and caps sliced thin
2 small garlic cloves, minced
2 cups reduced sodium chicken broth
1/2 cup Tawny Port
4 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
1/2 teaspoon balsamic vinegar
Salt and pepper, to taste

Sprinkle venison with salt and pepper. Melt 2 tablespoons butter in large nonstick skillet over high heat. Working in batches, add venison to skillet and cook to desired doneness, about 2 minutes per side for medium-rare. Set aside. In fat remaining in skillet saute mushrooms with garlic, stirring, until liquid mushrooms give off is evaporated. Add broth, Port, and Worcestershire sauce. Simmer sauce until thickened and reduced to about 3/4 cup, about 15 minutes, and stir in vinegar and salt and pepper to taste. Divide sauce among 4 plates. Place 2 venison medallions a top sauce on each plate.

Be sure to use reduced sodium chicken broth - it is too salty with the regular broth.

-------------------------------------------------------

Another great recipe is for Crispy Orange Beef, except she uses venison instead. This recipe lends itself great with venison.

Crispy Orange Beef

2 lb Beef sirloin, or venison, thinly sliced
1/3 c Sugar
1/3 c Rice wine vinegar
2 tbsp Frozen orange juice concentrate
1 tbsp Soy sauce
¼ c Cornstarch
2 tsp Orange zest (from one orange)
3 tbsp Fresh ginger
1 ½ tbsp Minced garlic (about 4 cloves)
1 head Broccoli, lightly steamed
Oil for deep frying

1. Mix sugar, vinegar, orange juice concentrate, salt and soy sauce. Set aside.
2. Heat oil in deep fryer till it reaches 350 degrees. Toss beef in cornstarch to coat. Add to deep fryer in small batches and deep fry till meat is crispy and brown. Remove with a slotted spoon and drain on paper towels.
3. Add 1 tbsp oil to a wok over medium-high meat. Add orange zest, ginger and garlic and cook briefly until fragrant. Add soy sauce mixture to wok and bring to a boil. Cook until thickened and saucy. Add beef and broccoli. Stir to coat. Serve over rice.

Venison Chili

1 T. vegetable oil
2 lb. ground venison
1 large onion, chopped
1 clove garlic, crushed
Salt to taste
2 (10 oz) cans Rotel tomatoes
¼ tsp. ground cumin
¼ tsp. oregano
2 T. chili powder
¼ tsp. ground red pepper
8 oz. tomato sauce
2 (16 oz) cans kidney beans
Heat oil in skillet and brown venison. Add onion and cook until tender. Drain off fat and put meat and onions into large pot. Add all remaining ingredients. Mix well and simmer uncovered ½ hour. Taste and adjust seasonings. Simmer covered 1½ more hours.

Gosh, I have never eaten venison from southern states, but our Michigan venison (Lower Peninsula) is really great meat! The UP deer are a bit stronger with a more gamey flavor.
We like the steaks grilled, marinated or not just don't overcook. We like them fried and serve with mushrooms and onions with garlic mashed potatoes with milk gravy. Just roll in flour, salt and pepper and a little garlic powder and fry in a bit of oil or bacon grease.
Roasts are good slow cooked with onions and carrots or if your venison is gamey add a small pork roast in with it. Make a good stew with cubed up venison, roll it in flour and brown in a bit of oil, add beef broth, diced tomatoes, corn, cubed potatoes, carrots, mushrooms, green beans, and any other favorite vegetables and let it simmer till the meat is tender.
Well now I'm hungry.

Backstrap from a young deer,chicken fried.Just tenderize it,salt and pepper it,roll it in flour,fry it on med heat.I have done this with some beef mixed in it.Some real city guys,never had deer meat before.It was pretty hard for them and me to tell which was which.You can't stop until it's all gone.

Latest posts