Favorite Breakfast

Help Support CattleToday:

Menudo means "a little bit of everything". It is a Mexican dish, kind of a stew, made, according to everything I have witnessed, guts, tripe, the three T's and everything else you might not want to know about. It looks like something in the toilet bowl and it smells like something in the toilet bowl. It is utterly disgusting and I will not allow it in my home.

There is a little Mexican place in Lake Jackson that serves it and we have to go there every time we visit for breakfast. Then I have to look forward to the resulting gasious explosions in the car later.

Words fail me in describing it.

bigbull338":48vckr47 said:
lammie sounds like a bad gas bomb that really stinks up the car.

BB, you just described my husband. :D :help:

I didn't know it was supposed to cure hangovers. Might scare you sober... The smell is enough to stimulate my gastric juices. And gag reflex.

Maybe if it didn't look like it had already passed through the colon...

It has chunks in it. Really. Chunks of things one can't chew. Chunks of guts. I try to avoid guts when possible. If they are in the hot dog or sausage, at least they are ground up.

Bez+":1ridsq1z said:
I think it might be interesting with home made bread, some garlic salt and a cool beer.

I will have to look this up the next time I get down into that part of the country.

Bez+
you kinda partial to the garlic aint you bez... i like your post, but just glad we aint talking face too face
:lol:

Lammie":31ipn5jb said:
It has chunks in it. Really. Chunks of things one can't chew. Chunks of guts. I try to avoid guts when possible. If they are in the hot dog or sausage, at least they are ground up.

Those chunks are tripe ( the second stomach of a cow ) It is called honeycomb tripe because it looks like a wasp nest, slides down like a raw oyster. :lol2: :lol2: :nod: Good stuff. I prefer hog feet ( knuckles ) rather than calf feet as a filler.

ROCKSPRINGS":343u5bh5 said:
Lammie":343u5bh5 said:

Those chunks are tripe ( the second stomach of a cow ) It is called honeycomb tripe because it looks like a wasp nest, slides down like a raw oyster. :lol2: :lol2: :nod: Good stuff. I prefer hog feet ( knuckles ) rather than calf feet as a filler.
why not throw a dam possum in there while you at it :p

alacattleman":25tonstc said:
ROCKSPRINGS":25tonstc said:
Lammie":25tonstc said:

why not throw a dam possum in there while you at it :p

A young possum will work great....an old fat one will make it a little too greasy. :lol: :lol:

Rocksprings, I am sure it is good stuff. I am not brave enough to try it. The smell alone puts me off.

Lammie...here's a recipe I found...give it a try. You can cook it in the back yard. lolol

The following recipe was provided by David Courtland:

3 pounds tripe
3 pounds nixtamal (hominy) frozen, not canned
3 pounds pigs feet (not calves) cut into quarters
1 large onion diced
1 bunch green onion cut up in 1/4" pieces
1 bunch of cilantro chopped
2 tablespoons Oregano
1 tablespoon black pepper
1 tablespoon red pepper flakes
1 head of garlic
2 tablespoons salt

Wash tripe thoroughly, remove excess fat and cut into bite sized pieces, wash nixtamal and pigs feet well and combine all ingredient in a large pot with enough water to cover. Bring to a boil and simmer slowly until corn opens and is cooked (not overcooked). Skim off grease. It is best if you can refrigerate it in order to remove all grease.

Serve with fresh cilantro, chopped green onion, chiltepin, limon and toasted bolillos.

Buen provecho!!

You can keep that, thanks. I try not to do the recipes that have tripe in them.

Latest posts