Favorite Blend of Fire Starter for Brush?

Help Support CattleToday:

Crowderfarms

Reaction score
Was trying to get some ideas of everyone's favorite Brush Burning Recipes. I swear Diesel wont burn like it used to. I've got a bunch of dozer piles, packed tight, and ready to burn. Any thoughts?

3 parts diesel 1 part gasoline. That's the standard mixture used in drip torches and seems to work very well

dun

dun":1h495rqo said:
3 parts diesel 1 part gasoline. That's the standard mixture used in drip torches and seems to work very well

dun
Thanks Dun. I've used old Oil and Diesel, mixed, but I hate to have anything harmful wash into branches and creeks.I'll give er' a try.

Throw some gas / diesel combo on a couple of tires and watch it go.

Environmental types hate me! :lol:

Bez!

Amen to that! I don't know about other areas, but around here burning tires can get you a pretty good fine if caught.

Yup, they will fine ya here if they catch ya. Put it in the very bottom of the pile and don't light it till nearly dark, that black smoke is a dead giveaway.

mineral sack, news paper, we have plenty of lighter stumps laying around, you'd think at that price deisel would burn right up...

around here if you leave it alone long enough lightning will strike it and catch it on fire. TNT does the trick too.

shorty":9e5n8m1y said:
Old tires stuffed with newspaper with a little gas on.

My Daddy really liked to burn - - he would stuff straw into an old tire and top it off with a blend of used motor oil a little gasoline.

No need to use that expensive diesel!

We simply use a combination of a piece of paper or two tucked into the lee wind side, a little bit of diesel (a gallon will light up 4-5 large piles), and a lot of tumbleweeds! The good ol' Wyoming wind takes care of the tumbleweed part, we just need to tuck in a piece of paper or two, splash a little diesel, and light the match! Goes up like nothing I've ever seen before! Not something one wants to do unless there has been a good rain or a lot of melted snow in the last day or so.

I vote for the before mentioned gas and oil mixture with a least one tire.

I always keep one arm over both eyebrows too when I'm starting the fire. ( Well, I do now.) Since you're gonna have a hot fire anyway...do you have a dutch oven filled with something good to eat? Have fun and be careful.

Bret

Empty feed sacks tied into a bale with twine. Throw this on the pile and soak with use motor oil or diesel. Cracked 5 gallon buckets or plastic tub feeders also burn really hot.

Bama":6ufho9c4 said:
Empty feed sacks tied into a bale with twine. Throw this on the pile and soak with use motor oil or diesel. Cracked 5 gallon buckets or plastic tub feeders also burn really hot.

Bama, why would you want to burn plastic tub feeders and 5 gallon buckets? They come in so handy for so many things - everything from storing stuff to feeding or watering stock to planting tomatoes or other food plants. I wonder how much it would cost to get them shipped from your place to mine?

Five gallon buckets crack after so much use and are pretty muck worthless after that. As far as the feed tubs go I use them for watering in sick pens or new arrival pens but after a while they leak. I don't use much feed in tubs. Its just to darn expensive. On occassion I'll have a few somewhere that its just eaiser to use the tubs. I'm getting lazy I guess. I have more feed tubs that brushpiles. The plastic burns at a much higher temperature than wood. It will make a really hot fire. Same principle as the tires. They also make a black smoke.

Bama":29i5oy7r said:
Five gallon buckets crack after so much use and are pretty muck worthless after that. As far as the feed tubs go I use them for watering in sick pens or new arrival pens but after a while they leak. I don't use much feed in tubs. Its just to darn expensive. On occassion I'll have a few somewhere that its just eaiser to use the tubs. I'm getting lazy I guess. I have more feed tubs that brushpiles. The plastic burns at a much higher temperature than wood. It will make a really hot fire. Same principle as the tires. They also make a black smoke.

Ok, I see where you are coming from. As far as the feed, I meant hay or ground hay, not grain. I use plastic tubs and 5 gallon buckets to feed my older bottle babies and heifers that have had calving difficulties. It doesn't matter if the buckets have develped cracks or not for that. Grain does get very expensive, very fast! Plastic is an excellent fire excelerant. I use the plastic strings off bales on a regular basis for burning trash around here.

Latest posts