FATAL CALF BIRTH 2 --PHOTOS

Help Support CattleToday:

CowCop

Reaction score
Hi All,

#24 G ~ Ist calf Hereford/Angus 3/2004

Heifer calf was at least a week early, and with 2 hoof coverings off.
Calf was found in this position.

I tried to blow all 3 photos up as much as possible so you could see the detail.

24Gc.jpg

24GheiferB.jpg

24GStillbornheifer.jpg

COMMENTS ?

CowCop

I'm guessing that this calf is sired by the same bull the other one was sired by. Two dead calves makes me suspicious of him if so.

Other thoughts: You have mentioned the lack of a worming program by the owner of these cattle in the past, which leads me to believe there may have been several other poor decisions on his part in the area of nutrition, mineral, vaccinations, etc. that may have an effect on these calves.

Ok. It's kinda hard to tell. Is there something extra on the calf? or is it something else that I'm seeing?

Are you talking about the thing that looks like a squirrel? b/c that is where the calf's teats are, it just looks funny b/c the calf's legs are spread so far apart.

My optimistic comments are that this looks like a premie which is not that uncommon with a heifer. on top of that you have a premie that probably got dropped from a standing cow, thereby landing on its back, not helping its situation if its lungs had been developed enough to live in the first place. If it was fully developed she may have had some difficulty delivering it and it may have died during birth. Usually when they are dropped upside down like that they will eventually flip themselves into a sitting position but if it wasnt cleaned promptly could have ingested the amniotic fluid/sac or whatever and suffocated/drowned. Usually when they get dropped out of a standing cow though, the calf is out to its torso or hips so being in that postion for an amount of time could also have been its demise. The reason i'm saying it looks a little premature is becasue of the head, mouth, eyes, but then again i cant really tell much from a picture. The calf looks like it had been dry (not cleaned dry that well, but dried)for some time. where did you find the hoof coverings? i noticed they arent visible int he first photo.

What about the first calf death makes you suspicious of the bull? malpresentations arent genetic.

I'd guess that she was having it in the middle of the herd and it got laid, or rolled on and squashed. the slayed legs and flat appearance is what would indicate that.

It does look like the little thing has a extra leg. What is strange to me is that the cow still has the water bag hanging from her and it looks fresh but the calf's face looks dried up like it had been there for a while. The poor little thing does look crushed though.

CowCop, can you tell us more details about this situation? Again, thank you for posting the pictures! Keep them coming!

CowCop, can you tell us more details about this situation? Again, thank you for posting the pictures!

Will try to answer your questions:

1. The 2 hoof coverings were found within 9 inches of the calf, kind of smushed into the dirt.

2. This was the very first calf to be born last year--- 7-10 days before the next calf.

3. My boss had used a new bull and when I saw this "first calf" I was a bit unnerved that we possibly had a sick bull and was anxious about the next calves being born.

4. From my notes---This calf didn't look developed in the head area.

5. This calf was discovered by the hay rack--which is 80 feet long by 8 foot wide. The other cows were away from it, but watching.

6. From what I could determine, the calf never got up to nurse.

Your theory that it may have been dropped from a standing cow, is a good one.

Other thoughts: You have mentioned the lack of a worming program by the owner of these cattle in the past, which leads me to believe there may have been several other poor decisions on his part in the area of nutrition, mineral, vaccinations, etc. that may have an effect on these calves.

Good memory greenwillow.
7. This group had NOT been wormed and have never been vaccinated.
They are however on lush pasture all summer and enjoy the best hay in the county--24/7- all winter. They have hay in front of them every minute of the day. The main herd is never grained.
I am still fighting a battle for him to put out enough loose salt & mineral for the entire herd, in the winter.

I think thats all your questions--let me know what else you would like to know. I will do my best.

Unfortunately, I do have alot of photos of various calf and cow issues.
I tend to "police" alot of different cows and herds.

CowCop

Beefy":3vgph65l said:
What about the first calf death makes you suspicious of the bull? malpresentations arent genetic.

makes me wonder about abortions... no vaccinations.. came early... dead.

hope you have better luck with the rest.

jt

Very interesting, all these photos and people's comments....sure gives one an appreciation for births that go well and calves that get up, nurse, and boink around, doesn't it?

The more i look at it the more it looks like a late term abortion. because of the almost mummified appearance of the face. it appears that the cow had some retained placenta on closer inspection, which is not uncommon with an abortion or premature birth, or even dystocia. one recommendation i would make is to get the cattle on a good mineral program..it will make all the difference in calf vigor and help with retained placenta as well.

The more i look at it the more it looks like a late term abortion. because of the almost mummified appearance of the face. it appears that the cow had some retained placenta on closer inspection, which is not uncommon with an abortion or premature birth, or even dystocia. one recommendation i would make is to get the cattle on a good mineral program..it will make all the difference in calf vigor and help with retained placenta as well.

Mummified is right--the head wasn't formed and the teeth and eyes...well... you can see they just don't look like the calf in the other Fatal Photo.

Thank you all for all your information and suggestions.

Keep it coming.

CowCop-
Just hope you dont have to deliver a calf that died and decomposed before the cow went into labor, that you have to pull out piece by piece b/c it has decomposed so much it falls apart. You will have to buy yourself a new camera it will smell so bad. Not a pretty site, or smell, to say the least.

Just hope you dont have to deliver a calf that died and decomposed before the cow went into labor, that you have to pull out piece by piece b/c it has decomposed so much it falls apart. You will have to buy yourself a new camera it will smell so bad. Not a pretty site, or smell, to say the least.

I have heard the horror stories about this kind of situation and I am thankful I haven't experienced it. But you know that when you are around a high number of cows, you will see alot of different "unique" situations. As calving season approaches, I am both excited and anxious.

I have lost inexpensive cameras to cow kicks, falling off the tractor, stepped on by horses, eaten by puppies, shot at, fallen out of kayak etc, but most just wore out.

Do any of you have any unusual calving or injury photos you want to share ?

Latest posts