Farmall 806 help

Help Support CattleToday:

Isomade

Reaction score
My PTO won't engage. Just had the hydrolics fixed and it will lift the batwings on the mower and raise and lower it just fine, when I pull the lever to engage PTO nada. Any ideas?

This want help you at all, but when I was a kid my dad had an 806. It was a very stout tractor for its size.

Never had an 806, had several smaller IH's (504, 300U etc...). Does that pto lever engage a clutch at the rear on the pto housing like the smaller IH's? I know on my 504 there is a clutch adjustment inside the independant pto housing as well as the linkage on the pto lever has adjustments. My linkage has bothered before and had to be adjusted when it slipped.

Then again, you could just sell me the 806. :nod: :tiphat:

Does the pto turn when not under load,but as soon as you put a pto shaft on it,it won't turn?If so time to rebuild it,i have done so many of them over the years i can do it in my sleep now,very easy to fix!!

George":24oz030h said:
Does the pto turn when not under load,but as soon as you put a pto shaft on it,it won't turn?If so time to rebuild it,i have done so many of them over the years i can do it in my sleep now,very easy to fix!!
When do you fly in to Oklahoma? I'll pick you up at the airport. :D

All you do,is drive the tractors front end into a ditch so all the oil runs to the the front of the tractor and put it in park,there is 8 maybe 10 bolts you take out of the the pto housing and then the housing is ready to slide out of the tractor.You may need some help at that point to lift it out,once you got it out,the cage on the back of the pump is held on by 4 bolts take that off and then you will have to remove a big snap ring,and there is all your disc's.Replace the disc's i believe the last one i did was just over a $100 for the disc's this winter.And then just put it back together,couple of hours from start to finish including beer breaks.On the oil suction tube there is a seal,you should change that also.You have any ?'s,just ask.

George":esxrh38r said:
All you do,is drive the tractors front end into a ditch so all the oil runs to the the front of the tractor and put it in park,there is 8 maybe 10 bolts you take out of the the pto housing and then the housing is ready to slide out of the tractor.You may need some help at that point to lift it out,once you got it out,the cage on the back of the pump is held on by 4 bolts take that off and then you will have to remove a big snap ring,and there is all your disc's.Replace the disc's i believe the last one i did was just over a $100 for the disc's this winter.And then just put it back together,couple of hours from start to finish including beer breaks.On the oil suction tube there is a seal,you should change that also.You have any ?'s,just ask.
Thanks George, soon as it gets below a hunnert degrees I just might do that. Sounds doable

Iso, I've got a factory manual for a 1206, which has the same rear end as a 806. If you want, I can copy the pto section and send it to you. I rebuilt my pto box several years ago, it's doable if you have some patience.

Sometimes the pickup tube can get loose and suck air, sometimes the pump or clutch discs are wore out, or the seals on the clutch piston are worn and leaking.

One thing to check without pulling the box is the valve on the left side of the box. It's possible it's stuck. Does it try to engage, or do nothing at all?

Good quality oil is a must, and it helps to run it a couple of gallons over full.

john

Gateboy":2eldp8i1 said:
Iso, I've got a factory manual for a 1206, which has the same rear end as a 806. If you want, I can copy the pto section and send it to you. I rebuilt my pto box several years ago, it's doable if you have some patience.

Sometimes the pickup tube can get loose and suck air, sometimes the pump or clutch discs are wore out, or the seals on the clutch piston are worn and leaking.

One thing to check without pulling the box is the valve on the left side of the box. It's possible it's stuck. Does it try to engage, or do nothing at all?

Good quality oil is a must, and it helps to run it a couple of gallons over full.

john
Thanks John, I actually was rummaging thru the shop late last night and found the manual to this one.

Latest posts