Farm Stress

Help Support CattleToday:

Case IH

Reaction score
I have lived on a farm all my life and plan on farming from now on. Im 18 by the way and sometimes i get so stressed out about all the work that needs to be done and I find myself worrying about things to the point that it makes me feel horrible. I guess its all in my head, was just wondering if anyone else had the same problem?

Case IH":1vvek14h said:
I have lived on a farm all my life and plan on farming from now on. Im 18 by the way and sometimes i get so stressed out about all the work that needs to be done and I find myself worrying about things to the point that it makes me feel horrible. I guess its all in my head, was just wondering if anyone else had the same problem?

1st of all relax...everyone one of us will at some point get uptight about things.

2nd of all develop a total farm plan ,and a backup one as well.
and go it

3 rd talk to someone ..ie farm stress line, old farmer etc.

You can do this

Know the feeling Case, are you working with your family? I am a ranch kid that has started to take on more of the daily operating decisions and the general operation of a small family ranch in New Mexico. Let me tell you there are days when I want to just hide. Our operation consists of my grandfather, his two sons and a daughter who are the owners. There are seven children between all the kids. Two of us are active in the day to day operations and one more is active in the hunting. What is hard is dealing with a grandfather that is slowly loosing his mental grip on things, and a family that likes to argue about everything and usually if one wants to do something another will say no just because it came from the other. Its hard but I would not be anywhere else, and I have tried. By the way I am the second oldest of the kids at 31 with the youngest just having turned 18.

I know what its like to take over as the next generation and if I can help just holler. :D

i do the same. dont get to the point where you lie awake at night worrying about everything, especially things you have no control over. if you do you may wind up like me and be on cattletoday at all hours of the night, when "honest people should be in bed" as one poster said recently. realize that you cant do everything at once and you cant do everything by yourself. dont expect to have starting out what others have worked their entire lives to get. some of the best advice ive gotten in a while came from a very wise lady on here. she told me "Quit thinking so much!"

Do you know what to do?
Do you know how to do it?
If you answer 'yes' to those questions, then stop and organize your jobs. Then work on just one. When your mind goes to the others, discipline yourself to just focus on what you are doing now. This has something to with what is called 'patience'.

Also. take a break once in a while and do like some of us and have a creme soda, or a coke and some peanuts. ;-)

what if the answer is 'no'?
what are "patience"?

whenever i freak out i pour some salted peanuts in a cold coca cola and go check on my cows. usually works unless they are out or something.

Beefy":2bcmqdq6 said:
what are "patience"?

whenever i freak out i pour some salted peanuts in a cold coca cola and go check on my cows. usually works unless they are out or something.
Beefy, who do you think I was referring to about the coke and peanuts.

Everything doesn't have to be done today. Prioritize. The most important things do today. Plan tomorrow. Find a good place to sit down and think it over. If it's urgent, get it over with. Take a little time for yourself. When you get flustered, say a little prayer. You may not be able to figure it out but He can. Remember, you could be tied to a production line in a plant you can't walk away from 8 or 10 hours a day. Hang in there like a hair in a biscuit. 8)

Ryder":2m82x2rv said:
Also. take a break once in a while and do like some of us and have a creme soda, or a coke and some peanuts. ;-)

Or go to a HS football game. Go to a movie. Go out and have some fun. Young adults around here go to the river on Friday nights and BBQ something.

Do something to step away for awhile. I knew I was stressed and my dad paid my way to a Colorado elk hunt. I was irritated with him because it would take me away for 2 weeks. But, when I got back, I realized that was exactly what I needed. The ranch survived 2 weeks without me. I sleep better and I more laid back when I'm working. Now, I'm thinking I need to do this every year. My last vacation was in 2001.

Jeanne - Simme Valley":2wro4q35 said:
Peanuts IN Coke - never heard of it :shock: Peanuts WITH coke = yes.
Hmm - that must be good tho - salt & sweet - my favorite. Eat something sweet, than run & get a bag of chips - yum.

Oh you have to try it Jeanne. Get ya one of those cokes in a real bottle if you can find one. Get some planters salted peanuts, pour them right in the bottle after drinking down a little. Will get some initial fizz but it will calm down. Let us know your test results. :lol:

Farming isn't what stressed me.

In-laws are what sends me over the edge.

Farming and the cattle relax me. Unless like beefy said, the cattle are out.

Beefy":3t042ega said:
what are "patience"?

I remember when i was a kid first time seeing and old timer with peanuts in his coke, i spent 30 minutes looking through the old drink box for one while they sat there laughing at me :oops: :lol: anyway you got to take it one step at a time your too young to be stressed over the simple things in life. best way to do ive found is to set goals one at a time fix fence,build barn, clear land what ever its a lot better than feeling overwhelmed .cause if the LORD tarries it will be there tomorrow ;-)

When my son was 17 he told me he was stressed out. I asked abot what and he said everything. I said, stress is when you wake up screaming and then you realize you haven't fallen asleep yet. ;-)

flaboy+":2dmf3nm2 said:
When my son was 17 he told me he was stressed out. I asked abot what and he said everything. I said, stress is when you wake up screaming and then you realize you haven't fallen asleep yet. ;-)

I think I have been there recently.We all have to relax sometimes.Between the shop the cows and NEW inlaws i am ready to just throw up my hands and tell everbody where to go. :) :) But I try and control my self.

Latest posts