Farm Labor Shortage

Help Support CattleToday:

I know the answer you're looking for is more immigration to fill the need, but the real answer is having more people that have to work for their food.

Recon that is the reason Machinery parts and everything else is going up so fast. Anybody bought any machinery parts recently. THere better not be much wrong or there will be a debate whether it is worth fixing or not.

sim.-ang.king":2zz02djd said:
I know the answer you're looking for is more immigration to fill the need, but the real answer is having more people that have to work for their food.

That doesn't sound reasonable when so many have gone to all the trouble to fashion the gov'ts safety net into a hammock.

Another "Solution looking for a problem" except there Ain't no labor shortage.
The real data says;
According to Bureau of Labor, in May 2018, there were 6.1 million unemployed (legally here) adults in the USA and another (legally here) 4.9 million working part time that are looking for full time jobs. That's one worker available for every 12 hogs in the whole US.

Immigration, in the last 30 years or so, has never been about workers...it's been about increasing a specific voting demographic. Period.

I see plenty of able bodies sitting on the porches in the projects. You know the same one's that despise illegals but vote left with them.

True Grit Farms":196oumd7 said:
I see plenty of able bodies sitting on the porches in the projects. You know the same one's that despise illegals but vote left with them.

Imagine that.

True Grit Farms":1d41htlq said:

Not enough hog farms and farms near the projects. How do you come up with a solution to move the project people to the farms or the farms to the project.

hurleyjd":z8aaqpid said:
True Grit Farms":z8aaqpid said:

Not enough hog farms and farms near the projects. How do you come up with a solution to move the project people to the farms or the farms to the project.

Illegals have no problems finding their way. When people get hungry they'll find a way to get to work.

hurleyjd":r8kh367t said:
True Grit Farms":r8kh367t said:

How about maybe they get a job, and buy a car.

hurleyjd":3o30ad5e said:
True Grit Farms":3o30ad5e said:

I have to disagree. Every small town I have been to has at least one government assisted living complex. The town I live in has 4 and the population here is around 900. Granted not all of these people can work but most of them are perfectly able. One year the government built 12 houses for "poor" people that owned their own land but had no house or if the house was run down it would be removed. I guess this stuff is acceptable in todays world.

If I was down on my luck and the only available job was feeding hogs, well I guess I'd walk to work and feed hogs every day.

hurleyjd":2bvvsrbh said:
True Grit Farms":2bvvsrbh said:

My ancestors traveled on foot from Virginia to Central Tennessee in the early 1800's, to find a way.

Walkin ain't crowded.

http://nfpinc.com/opportunities/jobs-available

We are the only house on a dead end road, but have 12,000 sows just over the hill. I have no idea how many pigs they have in our county, but the facility on our road is just for farrowing replacement gilts for their local farms. These folks are good neighbors, and the only trouble we've had out of them came from 4 all white local employees. Three of them were stealing truckloads of pigs in the night, and I caught them.....Which earned me freezer pork for life.....and one little basturd on dope that was beating the fire out of his ol lady in front of our house. The great majority of their help comes from central Mexico, and are college graduates here on a work visa. They have a high turnover from the locals, but the migrant workers stick with them and have been nothing but nice, and very respectful.

Lucky":1o3wccii said:
hurleyjd":1o3wccii said:
True Grit Farms":1o3wccii said:

I have to disagree. Every small town I have been to has at least one government assisted living complex. The town I live in has 4 and the population here is around 900. Granted not all of these people can work but most of them are perfectly able. One year the government built 12 houses for "poor" people that owned their own land but had no house or if the house was run down it would be removed. I guess this stuff is acceptable in todays world.

If I was down on my luck and the only available job was feeding hogs, well I guess I'd walk to work and feed hogs every day.

Exactly. Most of that housing is financed by the USDA. (I haven't researched that, but it says it on all the signs out front)

Farm Fence Solutions":1zx5xnzn said:

We are the only house on a dead end road, but have 12,000 sows just over the hill. I have no idea how many pigs they have in our county, but the facility on our road is just for farrowing replacement gilts for their local farms. These folks are good neighbors, and the only trouble we've had out of them came from 4 all white local employees. Three of them were stealing truckloads of pigs in the night, and I caught them.....Which earned me freezer pork for life.....and one little basturd on dope that was beating the fire out of his ol lady in front of our house. The great majority of their help comes from central Mexico, and are college graduates here on a work visa. They have a high turnover from the locals, but the migrant workers stick with them and have been nothing but nice, and very respectful.

I put my order in for my winter supply of round bales. There is a county farmer who does nothing but raise hay on about 400 acres. He uses mostly Mexican labor. The local farm labor is young white guys on drugs, un-skilled, unreliable, dishonest, etc. No wonder farmers here use Mexican labor.

Bright Raven":268x0wl7 said:
Farm Fence Solutions":268x0wl7 said:

I put my order in for my winter supply of round bales. There is a county farmer who does nothing but raise hay on about 400 acres. He uses mostly Mexican labor. The local farm labor is young white guys on drugs, un-skilled, unreliable, dishonest, etc. No wonder farmers here use Mexican labor.

That's called kicking the can down the road. Make it were people have to work by not supporting them. Quit hiring cheap illegal labor, that as Soon as a half dozen get a truck and some tools become competition that you can't compete with because they fly under the radar and pay no taxes or insurance.
Me or farm fence either one would pay a very good living and give a company truck to the right employee. The work and the money is there to be made. The problem is folks don't won't any part of the work part.
That has to be fixed. Not complained about. Then hiring wets to stack your squares. Fixing it will take time and cause hardships. But imo it is a must to MAGA.

callmefence":14zzv084 said:
Bright Raven":14zzv084 said:
Farm Fence Solutions":14zzv084 said:

That's called kicking the can down the road. Make it were people have to work by not supporting them. Quit hiring cheap illegal labor, that as Soon as a half dozen get a truck and some tools become competition that you can't compete with because they fly under the radar and pay no taxes or insurance.
Me or farm fence either one would pay a very good living and give a company truck to the right employee. The work and the money is there to be made. The problem is folks don't won't any part of the work part.
That has to be fixed. Not complained about. Then hiring wets to stack your squares. Fixing it will take time and cause hardships. But imo it is a must to MAGA.

No debate from me. Just the facts, Just the facts. The young white guys here that fall through the screen - i.e., have no skills, no education, had lousy parents, etc - are not worth the trouble hiring.

Latest posts