Farm Euthanasia of Cattle and Calves

Help Support CattleToday:

I remember the barrel and the hot hairy water. Making scrapers out of tin cans must have caused a few cut fingers too.

Pardon me if I'm stretching this thread in the wrong direction CB but the last time we butured pigs on our place was a comedy of errors. It all turned out OK.

We started with three pigs raised on site. One of the crew, the captain I guess you could call him, said "I have three at home. While we have the mess, would it be OK if I went to get them?" Everyone agreed that now was the time. Another helper piped in, "Ya know I have three also. Can I go get them?" "What's a little more mess....sure, go get'um....won't take long while we're all set up." The last three were so big that the tripods were not tall enough to lift the snouts off the ground.

It made for a long fun day. This was the last day that we ever butured.

That night I was collapsed in the bath tub when my hunny came in to see if I had drowned. I looked up and said, "weren't we supposed to go somewhere tonight?" We had totally forgot that we had tickets to a Kenny Roger's Concert. This is a true story.

"You got to know when to hold'em and know when to scald'em."

My wife's great grandfather would take the old horses up in the hills and hit them in the head with an axe. He did that for many years until he came out one day and one of the horses that he supposedly killed was standing in it's stall in the barn. After that he always used the rifle.

I always use a 22 mag or my old 30-30.

Bobg

My Dad put a .22 between the eyes of a pig one cold morning for the freezer. We put him in the wheelbarrow and started him to the barn.

Got about 3/4 way to the barn.........he jumped out of the wheelbarrow, never saw him again.

MikeC":2pzy0gnm said:
My Dad put a .22 between the eyes of a pig one cold morning for the freezer. We put him in the wheelbarrow and started him to the barn.

Got about 3/4 way to the barn.........he jumped out of the wheelbarrow, never saw him again.
when i was a kid i was sitting on the bank fishing and here comes a hog running and squealing runs right under my line and a old farmer blasting away with a shot gun. she was apparently trying too escape hog killing time was that yore paw mike :cboy:

Crowderfarms":163feysf said:
Doc Kevorkian, Rural edition. I never had a .22 fail me with an imaginary "X" between the eyes, and ears.

Crowder I tried this yesterday afternoon on a big steer. If you were to draw a line between an eye and the ear, I popped him right in the middle of that. Dang thing stood there and looked at me. Had to go back to the original "dime above the eyes" method and he fell in his tracks.

ALACOWMAN":3ksi1cfu said:
MikeC":3ksi1cfu said:

when i was a kid i was sitting on the bank fishing and here comes a hog running and squealing runs right under my line and a old farmer blasting away with a shot gun. she was apparently trying too escape hog killing time was that yore paw mike :cboy:
Might have been him. ;-) We shore walked for miles hunting that "dead" hog. We had been up since about 4:00 A.M. getting the water hot and we wuz already tasting them cracklins.

Did the pig you see have a little hole tween his eyes? :lol:

The ones that are humane kills get a 12guage ''slug''. With younger stock the 22 works great but with some older cows and bulls the skull can be very thick and hard. The heavy slug has a lot of energy and does the deed in a very dramatic fashion. They usually will not even blink.

Good post Caustic. Will this work on buffalo? I know where there is about 17,000 head I would like to euthanize.

Latest posts